What Idiot Made the Horn of Joramun, and why?

The Horn of Winter / Horn of Joramun "woke the giants from the earth." This supposedly means that it can tear down the wall, so if that is true, like, wtf. Seriously, what was the logic of making a horn to tear down a wall that protects the realm from the Others? Joramun obviously blew it at one point so that someone could coin  "woke the giants from the earth" , but the wall is still there sooo, Bran the Builder 2.0? For this terrible logic i believe the Horn has a different function than tearing down the wall, else it's creator was an idiot or an Other.

Suppose the horn existed before the wall and it causes earthquakes. They build the wall, and some bright spark says "hey we better not blow that Joramun horn anymore, the earthquake might bring down the wall".

3 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Suppose the horn existed before the wall and it causes earthquakes. They build the wall, and some bright spark says "hey we better not blow that Joramun horn anymore, the earthquake might bring down the wall".

Then why do people name it the Horn of Joramun, a king-beyond-wall, who im guessing blew the horn beyond the wall?

Could have been made by the Others. Or the Wildlings wanting to get South and bypass the Wall, once it was forgotten why the Wall was built in the first place, after the Wildlings got tired of being stuck North of the Wall, like  Mance did

20 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Could have been made by the Others. Or the Wildlings wanting to get South and bypass the Wall, once it was forgotten why the Wall was built in the first place, after the Wildlings got tired of being stuck North of the Wall, like  Mance did

How would the Wildings have made it? With what magic? They're not connected with the Children or the Others, presently, at least. 

Whatever magic was used to construct a horn with that one's specific capabilities, is in direct opposition to the magic and spells woven into the Wall by Bran the Builder, probably also the same as supposedly used in the construction of Storms End. And , according to legend, must, in fact, be stronger than the powers that composed the Wall, or at least it's frequencial exact equal, to bring it down.

5 minutes ago, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

How would the Wildings have made it? With what magic? They're not connected with the Children or the Others, presently, at least. 

I don't know exactly how. But the Wildlings have lived North of the Wall for a very long time. It's not so out there to assume that at some time in however many hundreds or thousands of years, at least one Wildling was able to get in contact with and learn from a race that can teach them those kinds of magic (be it CotF or Other)

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I don't know exactly how. But the Wildlings have lived North of the Wall for a very long time. It's not so out there to assume that at some time in however many hundreds or thousands of years, at least one Wildling was able to get in contact with and learn from a race that can teach them those kinds of magic (be it CotF or Other)

You're right, anything's possible. They just seem so backwards presently, technologically speaking. The Thenn's are their most what would be considered advanced, and they only work bronze. 

19 minutes ago, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

I doubt it was the Wildlings, heh. But let's do away with the thoughts that it's actually magical.

The Giants themselves made the horn. The books don't state that, but it's an item that's of legendary status. What gives it its' status is that it was in the possession of the Wildlings, and Joramun supposedly used it. Let's never fail to remember that the Wall stands.

A warhorn's a warhorn. The concept that the Horn of Jora could bring down the Wall seems no more than a superstition, an exaggeration that reflects the fierce power of the giants themselves. The claim that it could wake "the giants from the earth" could be - and probably is - nothing more than the reality that the giants would answer the call.

- We've already seen Giants working with a specific generation of Wildlings.

- A healthy force of Giants are quite capable of doing a fair bit of damage. The idea that having them as allies - and in earlier generations, I'd wager they'd have been greater in number - would tip the balance of a battle isn't far-fetched.

- The concept of something falling goes two-fold: Literally falling (e.g. down, apart), and figuratively falling (losing a battle, falling from grace, figuratively collapsing; lit.: bringing the end of the Night's Watch)

At this point, it's nothing more than a symbol of power, with superstition about its' legend cultivating fear in those against whom it might be used.

Edit: Gotta add, there's no proof it's actually magical. I submit that also fits into the superstition.

Call me crazy.

Just now, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

You're right, anything's possible. They just seem so backwards presently, technologically speaking. The Thenn's are their most what would be considered advanced, and they only work bronze. 

Right. But I think someone making some kind of magical artefact like the Horn of Joramun doesn't necessarily mean the group as a whole should be especially technologically advanced. Plus, crafting a simple horn wouldn't be so hard, it would be the magic of it that was important. 

I guess this is just GRRMs spin of our own beliefs and myths included as a backstory. Like Jericho being brought down by horns.

Thinking about this: Maybe Joramun was also a place and Joramun a person from that place?

What I'm thinking off is that Joramun was the name of the city where the Children's Tower stood when they called the hammer of the waters. That failed, and they destroyed themselves, but of the first men allied with the children escaped with the horn. He went North and became known as the "man from Joramun", the Joramun.

5 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

The myth that Joramun's Horn brings down the Wall is a Wildling myth. The original belief is about waking giants from the earth.

This.

Not sure why this is so over-looked.  As Lord Wraith said...the only thing the Horn is written to be able to do is bring giants from the earth.  The claim of it being able to bring down the wall is just a wildling myth.

Not been on the boards for a long time, but with Season 6 coming out my mind is going in to hyperbole again and I am re-reading yet again.

What about the horn that Euron has? Just wrote in another thread that I believe the horn he has will bring the wall down. My only backup to this is the Fire and Ice theme, with the Wall being Ice, and the Horn being Fire.

TWoIaF confirmed that 'waking the giants from the earth' means 'causing an earthquake'. It may easily have been blown back in the days of Joramun but not necessarily near to the Wall. Presumably it does not cause an earthquake all around the world but just in the region affected by the magical sound.

Not to mention that whatever Wall there was back in Joramun's day would have been much smaller and therefore, perhaps, not have been affected all that much by the horn. But then, it could have damaged the Wall back in the day if we assume that Joramun blew his horn during his joined war with the Starks against the Night's King. If we assume the Night's King corrupted the magic of the Wall Joramun may not have been able to pass through before he had blown the horn or something like that.

But in general: You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that a magical tool capable of creating massive magical earthquakes would bring down the Wall if it is blown close by.

Since I subscribe to the theory of ASOIAF being part of the Thousand Worlds, I believe that the Horn of Joruman is just a more advanced version of Tesla's oscillator.

As for it's purpose? Sometimes things are built for one reason, but a better use for them is innovated later.

It's actually called the Horn of Winter, later named the Horn of Joramun by the wildlings because Joramun used it. If I had to guess, I'd say it originally belonged to either House Stark or the maybe NW, given the line in their vows "I am the horn that wakes the sleepers."  So it may be something that predates the Wall, was created with a different purpose in mind and just so happens to be useful for the contemporary wildling agenda of bringing the Wall down, or that it is a weapon for the NW to be used against the Others. 

Archived