Cooking 5: This Time, It's Personal (Pan Pizzas)

Yagathai

I made a pot roast. A 2.5 lb hunk of beef, half a cabbage, two onions, celery, chicken broth, red wine vinegar, garam masala, salt and pepper, heavy cream. It was tangy, tender, creamy and aromatic. My whole house smells AMAZING.

I had been planning to eat that over the course of the week. Instead, I ate it all. Myself. In a single evening.

Uuuurgh. Instant regret.

49 minutes ago, Yagathai said:

I made a pot roast. A 2.5 lb hunk of beef, half a cabbage, two onions, celery, chicken broth, red wine vinegar, garam masala, salt and pepper, heavy cream. It was tangy, tender, creamy and aromatic. My whole house smells AMAZING.

I had been planning to eat that over the course of the week. Instead, I ate it all. Myself. In a single evening.

Uuuurgh. Instant regret.

You had me at "I ate it all," you lost me at "instant regret."

Fuck I love pot roast.  I feel like it is one of the few ways that we know, if there is a God, he loves us.

Pot roast is great. I can't imagine eating 2 1/2 pounds of meat plus the veggies though.

Last night I made a recipe I found on a handout slip in the supermarket for chicken thighs braised with rice in chicken stock with cinnamon sticks and cloves. Quite good.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

What kind of beans?

Also, fresh beans are all kinds of delicious in the right recipe, so I guess I could help out more if I were allowed to post actual bean dish recipes :P

I dunno, just regular garden variety (heh) green (and yellow and purple) beans

45 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

I dunno, just regular garden variety (heh) green (and yellow and purple) beans

Go two parts cider vinegar, 1 part water, .5 part sugar, a bit of salt, dill seed, fresh dill, mustard seed, coriander seed, chili flakes, peppercorns  (to taste). Bring to a boil. Pour over beans. Let magic happen. 

Make really dirty martinis.

You are welcome. 

16 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

Go two parts cider vinegar, 1 part water, .5 part sugar, a bit of salt, dill seed, fresh dill, mustard seed, coriander seed, chili flakes, peppercorns  (to taste). Bring to a boil. Pour over beans. Let magic happen. 

Make really dirty martinis.

You are welcome. 

Thank you! May see if the farmers markets has some cauliflower to toss in there as well. Pickled cauliflower is the shit

4 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Thank you! May see if the farmers markets has some cauliflower to toss in there as well. Pickled cauliflower is the shit

I want a jar of these pickled vegetables.  Will trade for bedside service of deluxe New Orleans Bloody Marys for you and Mrs. Lobster at MDF morning of your choice.

I am currently still without a fridge.  There are a surprising number of vegetables that I can eat a "week's worth" of in one day.

On August 12, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Lily Valley said:

I want a jar of these pickled vegetables.  Will trade for bedside service of deluxe New Orleans Bloody Marys for you and Mrs. Lobster at MDF morning of your choice.

I am currently still without a fridge.  There are a surprising number of vegetables that I can eat a "week's worth" of in one day.

This is my first attemp at this unholy alchemy; will mess around and perfect some recipes and then everyone gets pickles.

@Lily Valley, will settle for pickled livers next time we cross paths (which seems to be every time I leave the state)

UPDATE: two pints of pickles in the can-- one of sliced cucumbers and dill, the second of green beans and radishes. Next up will be a kind of curryish cauliflower. Damn this shit is fun!

On 8/14/2016 at 11:12 PM, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

This is my first attemp at this unholy alchemy; will mess around and perfect some recipes and then everyone gets pickles.

@Lily Valley, will settle for pickled livers next time we cross paths (which seems to be every time I leave the state)

UPDATE: two pints of pickles in the can-- one of sliced cucumbers and dill, the second of green beans and radishes. Next up will be a kind of curryish cauliflower. Damn this shit is fun!

My pal has a farm in Mississippi, she kills all "raper ducks"  Duck liver is delicious.  I think a few hours of work on my part can get you a can of pickled duck liver.

On 8/14/2016 at 7:48 AM, Inigima said:

Dutch baby for breakfast, saw a sponsored NYT cooking link for the recipe on Facebook and decided to give it a go.

http://i.imgur.com/Bfk53Zj.jpg

Turns out Dutch babies are the most delicious babies!

This is a FACT!   

Cooked a 4lb meatloaf last night with cheddar mashed potatoes and brown mushroom gravy.  One part pork, one part lamb and 2 parts beef, carrots, parsley and stuffed with mushrooms.  I use tomato paste, worsteshire and saltine crackers.  Meatloaf sandwiches this afternoon!  I was very pleased with how it turned out.  Took for-friggin-ever to cook.  Totally worth the wait.

Talking about it this week sparked an all meatloaf all the time discussion in the office.  What's y'all's favorite way to make it?

Ms. Larry is on a roll on the dinner front.  Last night was mashed potatoes with fresh corn off the cob, as in we-ripped-it-off-the-freaking-corn-stalks-and-chucked -it-into-the-mash-with-only-maybe-10-minutes-from-living-growing-corn-to-steaming-for-dinner fresh, topped off with avocado, some cheddar, salsa and sour cream and fresh cilantro.  

Tonight is going to be grilled tri-tip seasoned with cumin, garlic, fresh chives, and lime juice.  Served over fresh greens from our garden.  Probably making a green-tomato salsa too if I have time.  

For dessert, store-bought Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a meat thermometer?  I have some very basic serviceable ones.  They work fine but I am somewhat tempted by the electronic ones with the probes that go in the oven and tell you what the temperature is while the meat is cooking.  I realize I don't really need this but they seem somewhat fun.  Reviews on these items seem to vary so I am looking for some more opinions.

Archived