Cooking 5: This Time, It's Personal (Pan Pizzas)

Yagathai

Those knives offend me, yagathai. Having one in my knife bag would be funny though. 

Today I was at a restaurant trade show where I busted out a rather impressive brunoise on a red apple with a rather unimpressive knife that was being featured for the low price of $11.49.

Still I prefer my own cutlery collection. 

We still need to go knife shopping, Chef. My skills are rudimentary at best, but I feel like I want a knife that can carve up an ox. 

In happy news, a brand new whole-animal butcher just opened up down the block from us. They have some gorgeous meats, and the butchers are friendly as hell. 

We still need to go knife shopping, Chef. My skills are rudimentary at best, but I feel like I want a knife that can carve up an ox. 

In happy news, a brand new whole-animal butcher just opened up down the block from us. They have some gorgeous meats, and the butchers are friendly as hell. 

21 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Next time we are in NYC let's touch knives together at Korin trading company! 

Can I ask about mushrooms?

I made a mushroom seafood risotto and it came out AWFUL.  The list of things I did wrong starts with mushrooms and seafood and just got worse from there.  

My question arises from an argument that my brother and I had from not eating it.  He said it tasted too mushroomy and I swore that the mistake had been with the seafood, too fishy.

I cooked the last of the mushrooms in a fridge cleanout veggie mix.  I'll swear that some of the mushrooms tasted fishy to me. They were brown beech mushrooms, if that helps.

So, while I KNOW that the mushroom-seafood combination will NEVER happen again in this house.  Can someone tell me why the mushrooms taste like fish, or conversely, why my too-strong seafood stock make my brother think the risotto was too mushroomy?

As always, thank you.

Ok, twice now my crappy monopoly owned wi-fi service has prevented me from telling you exactly what I did.  Suffice it to say there is a VERY VERY good reason mushrooms and seafood are not paired.

On seafood stock, how long does one usually cook this?   

On mushroom risotto (without even the idea of seafood) how many mushrooms per cup of dry risotto?  

• 3 weeks later...

What to do with boiled eggs still from Easter...no I am not afraid they are too old.

My wife is not a fan of creamed eggs on toast.  I have used half a dozen in sandwiches and have a dozen or so still left.

1 minute ago, wolverine said:

What to do with boiled eggs still from Easter...no I am not afraid they are too old.

My wife is not a fan of creamed eggs on toast.  I have used half a dozen in sandwiches and have a dozen or so still left.

You could throw them away. Easter was a good bit ago. Or you could make egg salad or deviled eggs and give the whole family diarrhea. 

I love egg salad. But I hate diarrhea.

Interestingthing about food borne illness most cases are self inflicted.

2 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

We steamed a snapper with ginger, green onions, and Shaoxing wine. For the side, choy sum dressed with ginger-chile-green onion-oil and light soy sauce.

Wow, sounds amazing.

9 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Wow, sounds amazing.

Thank you! It ended up quite tasty. The fish dish was designed generally around a recipe from Fuchsia Dunlop's Land of Plenty. The choy sum dish was from a strictly followed recipe from Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice

Just discovered that Fuchsia Dunlop has a new book in October focusing on recipes from the lower Yangtze region. So stoked! 

Archived