If Jon Snow had Targaryan hair, how would Ned Stark cover it up?

jontargaryan

Why not color his hair like fAegon does? I think JonCon had him dye his hair from early childhood. Just get normal colored haircolor like the ones that LF got Alayne and train the boy to do on regular basis?

14 hours ago, Jo Maltese said:

Good question OP: this is why Ned has never really denied the Ashara Dayne rumour IMHO... to cover Jon's potential Valyrian looks.

2 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Either his mother was from Lys and or a Dayne or shave his hair.

I was preceded.
I would have brought home to Winterfell a lysene girl.
I would not sleep with her, I would not take her in the same building as Catelyn, but she would be there, in sight, without having to work to live and without giving explainations to anybody, not even to her.
Winterfell would talk, the Riverlands would talk a lot, Robert would joke a lot in King's Landing and the whole of the Realm would believe the girl is my lover and the kid my son.
End of the story.
Eddard knew Ashara Dayne, and if she could be trusted with something like this, but as I do not know her she would be more dangerous.
Nobody would believe the Lysene commonborn and former (cheap) prostitute if and when she told somebody that I never touched her and the child isn't hers.
A trueborn Dayne could be believed if she told that strange story that, if true, could have endengered her position.
A lowborn would be safer in my book, and in some years I could even send her to some pleasant, faraway city with a good house and a rent in money, or marry her to some landed knight in some tower in the Wolfswood before sending the boy to the Night's Watch.
Or say I did so, if she became a problem.

3 hours ago, sarah.jenice said:

Umm...Lyanna wouldn't contribute "seed" to the mix in R+L=J, Rhaegar would. So it's the Targaryen seed which comes into question, and as many others have noted, it appears to be pretty hit or miss depending on the mother. 

Jon is Ned's child AFAIK.

It would have been fun to see Jon wandering around Winterfell looking like a cloned Rhaegar Targaryen during King Roberts visit. Imagine Robert drunk during the feast spying Rhaegar across the room enjoying a few ales, what a night that would have been!

On March 23, 2016 at 11:33 PM, StarkofWinterfell said:

This brings up valid question. If the seed is strong and the Stark seed is not, why does Jon look like a Stark?

Baratheon children all have dark hair, but Ned's children have Tully looks save for Jon and Arya. Does that mean Arya is not a Stark?

I'm in my phone so I can't add searches and quotes and stuff, but throughout Westerosi history, first born children of Targ men always looked like the mother. The subsequent kids always looked Targy in most cases. 

So I guess this could also happen in the Stark line as well when it comes to the current crop of kids? 

I think Arya looks Starky to help identify her as Lyanna pt2, essentially. 

On 3/23/2016 at 11:33 PM, StarkofWinterfell said:

This brings up valid question. If the seed is strong and the Stark seed is not, why does Jon look like a Stark?

Baratheon children all have dark hair, but Ned's children have Tully looks save for Jon and Arya. Does that mean Arya is not a Stark?

I think the dominant genes are usually from the matrilineal side. Of the current Starks with a Tully Mother only 1 of 5 has Stark Looks(Arya)& if, R+L=J, then Jon looks his Mother. The previous generation of Starks, (whose Mother was a Stark) 4 of 4 look Starkish. Ygritte speaks about the blood of her mother, and mothers mother, going back into the generations. 

This also explains the Valyrian tradition of sister marrying to keep whatever traits are passed down from the mothers side.

I think once it became obvious the child is going to look Targaryean it would be safest to change plans and send him to be raised in exile. But mediterrano's idea of hiring a lysene looking woman of the right age to work at Winterfell would be a good idea too. Except it would have sent Catelyn right round the bend and made even more problems for Jon, and for Eddard's marriage, I suppose. Clearly a plot necessity that he be northern looking.

1 hour ago, Jon Crow (King Snow) said:

I think the dominant genes are usually from the matrilineal side. Of the current Starks with a Tully Mother only 1 of 5 has Stark Looks(Arya)& if, R+L=J, then Jon looks his Mother. The previous generation of Starks, (whose Mother was a Stark) 4 of 4 look Starkish. Ygritte speaks about the blood of her mother, and mothers mother, going back into the generations. 

This also explains the Valyrian tradition of sister marrying to keep whatever traits are passed down from the mothers side.

There's definitely something up with matrilineal side of things, especially beyond the wall. I guess it's to show contrast, but it seems in the south, except for Dorne, that everything, looks included, is male dominated. 

5 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

It would have been fun to see Jon wandering around Winterfell looking like a cloned Rhaegar Targaryen during King Roberts visit. Imagine Robert drunk during the feast spying Rhaegar across the room enjoying a few ales, what a night that would have been!

That would have been interesting, but if there was anything in Jon's appearance that screamed Rhaegar he would not have been allowed in the same room as Robert. As it is, I suspect that Ned quietly allowed Catelyn to have her way as far as Jon was concerned during the visit - with seating arrangements etc.  Jon did not join in the hunt, nor did he participate in training with Robb and the rest. When Jon's appointment as Lord Commander is raised in the Small Council, we have this comment from Cersei:

"I glimpsed him once at Winterfell," the queen said, "though the Starks did their best to hide him. He looks very like his father." (Cersei IV in Feast)

No doubt Cersei approved of this, given her opinion of her husband's natural children, but I think Ned probably did everything he could to keep Jon and Robert apart. And that is with him looking so Stark-like. I think had there been anything in his appearance that screamed Rhaegar, Jon would likely have been sent away temporarily on some pretext or other. Better to wound Jon's pride than risk his life. But it does raise the issue of the risks Ned took to protect Jon. 

2 minutes ago, dornishdame said:

That would have been interesting, but if there was anything in Jon's appearance that screamed Rhaegar he would not have been allowed in the same room as Robert. As it is, I suspect that Ned quietly allowed Catelyn to have her way as far as Jon was concerned during the visit - with seating arrangements etc.  Jon did not join in the hunt, nor did he participate in training with Robb and the rest. When Jon's appointment as Lord Commander is raised in the Small Council, we have this comment from Cersei:

"I glimpsed him once at Winterfell," the queen said, "though the Starks did their best to hide him. He looks very like his father." (Cersei IV in Feast)

No doubt Cersei approved of this, given her opinion of her husband's natural children, but I think Ned probably did everything he could to keep Jon and Robert apart. And that is with him looking so Stark-like. I think had there been anything in his appearance that screamed Rhaegar, Jon would likely have been sent away temporarily on some pretext or other. Better to wound Jon's pride than risk his life. But it does raise the issue of the risks Ned took to protect Jon. 

Yes but could you imagine Robert Baratheon cursing the gods for having the cruelty to make his best friend Neds bastard son look the spitting image of the man who stole his betrothed and worst enemy, but not having the brains to figure it out. Ha ha, it's possibly because his brain is already working overtime trying to cope with the horrible luck of his own kids all looking like Jaime Lannister, poor old King Robert wondering why the gods have cursed him so?

Archived