The positive (gasp!) GoT discussion thread (Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

46 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I prefer SHOW Tommen because being older his story is more interesting.

However I also love book Tommen as a child and his innocence and his love for his kittens.

Since his age difference is important for his role as a king I don't think they can be compared.

I think the show Tommen is doubling for Aegon. He's going to try and serve both Marg and Cersei, and obviously this can't end well; the interests of these two women are going to force him to choose one over the other. Cersei, in turn, is eventually going to alienate Jaime. That has to happen, as it's too crucial to cut. It just can't happen as quickly as it did in the novels, as the show Cersei isn't a cartoon villain. 

The show has been desperately attempting to edit the last two novels. I think they're almost there, but not quite, hence the dire pacing problems in season 5. This season has them, too, but there are signs that it'll improve.

3 minutes ago, kimim said:

I think the show Tommen is doubling for Aegon. He's going to try and serve both Marg and Cersei, and obviously this can't end well; the interests of these two women are going to force him to choose one over the other. Cersei, in turn, is eventually going to alienate Jaime. That has to happen, as it's too crucial to cut. It just can't happen as quickly as it did in the novels, as the show Cersei isn't a cartoon villain. 

The show has been desperately attempting to edit the last two novels. I think they're almost there, but not quite, hence the dire pacing problems in season 5. This season has them, too, but there are signs that it'll improve.

Well....I can't see Tommen being Aegon.......they are two different plots. I see him as a natural evolution of Tommen if he had been older in the novels..but who knows...

If ti happens, it won't be soon. But hope it happens.

3 minutes ago, kimim said:

I agree. There are certainly signs that the show is able to cope without the books as a guide. The Tommen and Cercei scenes were touching last episode and I really like the way they are handling Cercei now. The assumption was she would fly out of the traps being a vengeful mentalist, but she's been far more subdued than that, concealing her plans and feelings. Although that element is in the books, the scenes themselves have been very good in of themselves. 

I think when  they have got over the  'crap book' hurdle, they might find it a lot easier.

36 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

I wonder if we'll see Tommen start to morph into Joffrey V2, now that he's given himself over to Cersei's guidance.

Possibly. He has realised his own weakness has led to real problems , something that wouldn't have happened had Joffery been in power. He could start to make decisions to over compensate for his own gentle soul.

But he is who he is, it's hard to see him being able to change that. He could possibly end up being manipulated by Cercei or more likely the Sparrows.

2 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

I wonder if we'll see Tommen start to morph into Joffrey V2, now that he's given himself over to Cersei's guidance.

no way, he will be harsher, but good-hearted

7 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Well....I can't see Tommen being Aegon.......they are two different plots. I see him as a natural evolution of Tommen if he had been older in the novels..but who knows...

If ti happens, it won't be soon. But hope it happens.

I mean Aegon as one more complication over that throne. They'll have that complication, and possibly a split between mother and son, but with characters we're already familiar with.

There were a few good things. It was good to see Bran and Co and fonfirmed on the show, he is leaving the cave. He will need to. Everyone is trying to steal Winterfell from him and it is his. He is the true King of the North. The Boltons dying. Yes, I felt no pity for Walda and baby Bolton. Keeping things in context, both of those familys slaughtered Robb's pregnant Queen and other lords and men as guests so, I considered there deaths, A GOOD START.

On 4/26/2016 at 5:54 AM, Ran said:

Quick note: I am all for this thread, but have it be about the show, please, just as the original poster asked. Commentary on other threads is not what the thread is about.

FYI.

2 minutes ago, Spark7 said:

The first shot of episode 1 was fantastic with the shot going from the wall to Jon. Overall the cinematography is very good.

Agreed... It's pretty to look at.

14 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

So lets keep it OT, like how Cercei's scene with Tommen this week was better than anything the book had done between those two characters, since Tommen wasn't chasing a cat at the time, nor wetting himself, and Cercei wasn't a one dimensional crazed Disney Villain. It was great.

The scene in the Sept was also very good.  Crisp dialogue, drove the point home quite well.  It also revealed some of the dynamic between Tommen and Jaime as well.  

The Winterfell flashback was so amazingly done, as you could feel not only the happiness of the people but also the happiness of Bran to be able to experience it once again. It literally jumped off the screen and it was so  nice to see Winterfell like that again, as opposed to the suffocating wreckage the Boltons have inhabited. 

14 minutes ago, Ser Matt Dayne said:

The Winterfell flashback was so amazingly done, as you could feel not only the happiness of the people but also the happiness of Bran to be able to experience it once again. It literally jumped off the screen and it was so  nice to see Winterfell like that again, as opposed to the suffocating wreckage the Boltons have inhabited. 

What I liked about it was that it was an almost exact replica of the scene from Season 1 where Ned was watching his children fight

On 5/3/2016 at 10:55 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

I prefer SHOW Tommen because being older his story is more interesting.

However I also love book Tommen as a child and his innocence and his love for his kittens.

Since his age difference is important for his role as a king I don't think they can be compared.

Even as a teen, he should still outlaw beets!

I love the parallel between the vision of Bran and the first episode. The whole thing was very emotional.

39 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Even as a teen, he should still outlaw beets!

I agree. 

38 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

I loved how creepy they're making Ungregor.  Just following her around, staring unblinkingly, never saying a word.  

I wonder if Ungregor smells? 

Skin that purple has got to be ripe. I would like it if we had smell-o-vision :thumbsup:

Archived