The positive (gasp!) GoT discussion thread (Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

3 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

The story Martin stopped telling you mean? This is the positive thread btw. Land of Always Ranting is the other thread.

I realised a long time ago online that ranters are in the minority but shout the loudest and therefore appear to be the majority.  That's pretty much a universal truth on the internet on any topic.  If you take a look at each episode specific threads and see the episode ratings it's obvious there is a larger contended silent majority that are enjoying the show.

I have to admit I am enjoying the show a lot more now that it's in unchartered territory.  It really feels like the story is moving forward for the first time since ASOS.  Even the show stalled the last season or two as it utilised the source material from the last two ponderous tomes.  One of the biggest criticisms of the show from the neutrals is the time it is taking for Dany to get to Westeros.  That's clearly not a flaw with the show (or maybe it is because they could have cut a lot of her plot out and got her to Westeros sooner) for example.

I'm buzzing for the next episode.  I think Series 6 is shaping up to be as good as S1 & S3.

2 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I realised a long time ago online that ranters are in the minority but shout the loudest and therefore appear to be the majority.  That's pretty much a universal truth on the internet on any topic.  If you take a look at each episode specific threads and see the episode ratings it's obvious there is a larger contended silent majority that are enjoying the show.

I have to admit I am enjoying the show a lot more now that it's in unchartered territory.  It really feels like the story is moving forward for the first time since ASOS.  Even the show stalled the last season or two as it utilised the source material from the last two ponderous tomes.  One of the biggest criticisms of the show from the neutrals is the time it is taking for Dany to get to Westeros.  That's clearly not a flaw with the show (or maybe it is because they could have cut a lot of her plot out and got her to Westeros sooner) for example.

I'm buzzing for the next episode.  I think Series 6 is shaping up to be as good as S1 & S3.

I do love all the seasons, but I have them ranked 4 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 3

I think Season 6 will end up being the best. 

8 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

Killing what exactly ? The plot? The suspension of disbelief? The story that GRRM has been telling, I definitely agree that season 6 has been killing a lot of things! 

You got lost. This is no thread for salty book fans. There's a specific one for them.

Also what story? The story he had been telling ended 5 years ago.

50 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I do love all the seasons, but I have them ranked 4 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 3

I think Season 6 will end up being the best. 

If season 6 contnues the way it has had for the last 3 episodes or gets even better (most likely), it will be my #1.

It'll be 6>1>4>5=3>2

I really love season 6 and the reason is sure very unpopular, I salute D&D for giving new boold to the show and focusing on new stories this season, don't get me wrong but I'm bored of the same faces and the same stories for five seasons, I like the new Sansa's story (intrigue), bran's story (fantasy) and the ironborns story (mystery)

I really enjoyed the Sansa/ Jon at the Wall dynamic in the last episode. Very excited to see the North finally remembering :D

The ranters rant a bit too much for my liking - I understand not liking certain things, but there is definitely a certain group of book readers who basically want to hate everything. The Hodor reveal was moving too - I wasn't sure about the ceiling crawling white walkers and the fire bomb, but the flashback itself and the final scene with Hodor was so well done and so sad. 

55 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

It was also great that the diary of poor misunderstood Carol wasnt in the episode.

It was also great that the bizarre plotline involving Victarion got cut. I mean...Euron sends Victarion to Dany with a horn. Victarion is supposed to win Dany for the brother he dislikes, was fighting against. This makes no sense, leads to all manner of crazed theorizing in which people assume  Daario must be Euron, etc. Instead we get Yasha and Theon off to Dany, which is at least reasonable. These people no longer have a home, and the rest of Westeros hates them. They do have the best bits of the Greyjoy navy, so they go off in search of an ally. Possibly a long shot, but still better than Victarion.

Hodor was tragic. He made me cry.

Summer dies...winter is here. I love canids of all sorts, so that broke my heart, too.

Sansa and Jon were the weak links for me. I'm still finding it difficult to believe that LF genuinely didn't know about Ramsay. Sansa's motivation to lie to her brother also makes no sense.

2 hours ago, kimim said:

It was also great that the bizarre plotline involving Victarion got cut. I mean...Euron sends Victarion to Dany with a horn. Victarion is supposed to win Dany for the brother he dislikes, was fighting against. This makes no sense, leads to all manner of crazed theorizing in which people assume  Daario must be Euron, etc. Instead we get Yasha and Theon off to Dany, which is at least reasonable. These people no longer have a home, and the rest of Westeros hates them. They do have the best bits of the Greyjoy navy, so they go off in search of an ally. Possibly a long shot, but still better than Victarion.

Hodor was tragic. He made me cry.

Summer dies...winter is here. I love canids of all sorts, so that broke my heart, too.

Sansa and Jon were the weak links for me. I'm still finding it difficult to believe that LF genuinely didn't know about Ramsay. Sansa's motivation to lie to her brother also makes no sense.

Why? There are many ways in which you could explain this, and all of them make sense.

Agreed on LF, though. The problem is that, according to Aidan, he truly didn't know. It's a shame, because it'd be far better if he had known since the very beginning, but many people also forget the true reasons for which LF gave Sansa away. So he could get rid of the Boltons and be Warden of the North as well.

6 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

Yes, the part about fried eggs really struck a nerve for me, made me really want to imagine what it would be like 

Any scene involving Meera Reed is a good one. 

9 hours ago, Ingelheim said:

Why? There are many ways in which you could explain this, and all of them make sense.

Agreed on LF, though. The problem is that, according to Aidan, he truly didn't know. It's a shame, because it'd be far better if he had known since the very beginning, but many people also forget the true reasons for which LF gave Sansa away. So he could get rid of the Boltons and be Warden of the North as well.

My main problem is LF. Since I can't buy the explanation that he genuinely didn't know, everything else about the situation falls flat.

As for Sansa, I've only watched the episode once, so I'm confused: Did she reject LF and the Vale, or did she tell LF what he put her through, then dismiss him?

Rejecting LF and the Vale doesn't make sense. Sansa needs the Vale. The new, cunning Sansa would accept the troops, wait til the battle is done, then get Brienne to cut Littlefinger's throat. The other option, where she accepts the Vale troops but hides them from other Northern leaders is as bad. These people are planning for a battle. Surely they need to be able to include the Vale in their plans?

43 minutes ago, Shieldbreaker said:

I really love it that there are people who can enjoy this show. Brings hope, that no matter how bad things get, people can still be happy with the trash that they got.

rofl there is a very special thread for people who feel this way. Might I suggest you peruse its many treasures?

7 hours ago, Shieldbreaker said:

I really love it that there are people who can enjoy this show. Brings hope, that no matter how bad things get, people can still be happy with the trash that they got.

Yeah just us and millions of other people worldwide. Yet the ranters still insist on portraying us as the misguided ones! I don't like EVERYTHING about the show, it definitely has its flaws. But I still enjoy it.

19 hours ago, kimim said:

You've actually just reminded me how convoluted that was in the books. I was never a fan of the Euron/ Victarion plotline and I have to confess to constantly forgetting which one was which. Amalgamating the two was a brilliant decision!

this season has been so good so far. 

Daenerys out of the fire was an iconic moment and really shows the grandeur with which she carries herself. 

Marg and Loras were surprisingly moving to me. Seeing Loras so broken was genuinely upsetting to me, knowing what he used to be. 

Hodor :'(

Melisandres age reveal was super creepy as it should be. 

11 hours ago, kimim said:

My main problem is LF. Since I can't buy the explanation that he genuinely didn't know, everything else about the situation falls flat.

As for Sansa, I've only watched the episode once, so I'm confused: Did she reject LF and the Vale, or did she tell LF what he put her through, then dismiss him?

Rejecting LF and the Vale doesn't make sense. Sansa needs the Vale. The new, cunning Sansa would accept the troops, wait til the battle is done, then get Brienne to cut Littlefinger's throat. The other option, where she accepts the Vale troops but hides them from other Northern leaders is as bad. These people are planning for a battle. Surely they need to be able to include the Vale in their plans?

rofl there is a very special thread for people who feel this way. Might I suggest you peruse its many treasures?

I'll quote myself from the Discussing Sansa thread

If you ask me there are three ways you can look into this, and the thing is...they are not mutually exclusive:

-She lies because, as ever, LF is cunning enough to poison her ears, and makes her have doubts about her position and her power. That's why he mentions his "half-brother's army". And right before that, he reminds her of her Tully side, mentioning the Blackfish. He's trying to get her away from Jon, making her suspicious of Jon. This is somethig I was expecting since I saw the preview. LF wants Sansa all for himself. He cannot handle that she puts his trust on another man, even less so if that man is her brother.

-She lies because she's actually the only one who knows LF, and knows Davos, Jon and Tormund are not worthy opponents of LF regarding the Game of Thrones. LF has always been shady as fuck, so the Vale army is just a double edged weapon that could turn against them (LF could easily use the Vale after the battle to destroy Jon's army). She doesn't want it, and she doesn't want anything related to LF. She wants to get the North on her own terms, with her brother.

-She lies because she doesn't want the others to know about her meeting with LF. Also, as I mentioned before...Sansa's got used to lies. It's basically what LF taught her. You can feel it and see it on her face right after Brienne calls her on it...she's not feeling good about lying...to Jon. She couldn't give a fuck about the others, but not Jon. 

Either way, these lies are going to be adressed in the future episodes. I'm sure Jon will find out Sansa knew about the Vale army all along. Probably after E.9, maybe even before it actually shows up. Their dynamics are pretty interesting already, so, I'm excited about how this will pay off.

Sophie Turner said this this:  She doesn’t tell Jon because -- it’s difficult because she doesn’t have that Stark way about her anymore. She’s been broken down; she no longer feels like she can be completely honest with anyone, even her own family. Also she doesn’t want to tell Jon, I think, because she wants all the information and all the power in her court when it comes to Littlefinger. Because [with] Littlefinger she can kind of do whatever she wants with him now. He owes her big time and she wants the ball in her court. 

I'll have to go look for the Sansa thread, but just wanted to drop a quick comment here. One way to understand her decision to lie to Jon is that her character has developed, but she isn't a completely different person. She's still the person who grew up dreaming about being a queen and giving birth to little princes. She's personally ambitious; her experiences have transformed her from a dreamy girl to a pragmatist and realist, but she's still striving for that...in her case, I think it's more an entitled social status than political power, though in her world it amounts to the same.

Earlier in the story, this personal ambition didn't serve her particularly well, as she effectively sided with the Lannisters against her own family, with ruinous results. Now, it may serve her better: she's fiercely determined to take back Winterfell because it is hers by right. Her ambition becomes the driving force and is strong enough to overcome Jon's reluctance.

LF knows this about her, and therefore knows how to manipulate her. His comments about "Jon's army" and "half-brother" are subtle but perfectly placed to push her buttons.

Archived