The positive (gasp!) GoT discussion thread (Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

Things about the plot that I liked from this episode:

-Sam's storyline was the best. I really love to hate Randyll Tarly and how Sam hasn't got over his trauma with him. Now, seeing Randyll I know the reason. John Bradley does a fantastic job portraying these emotions.  BTW, the ending is perfect, with the valyrian sword and leaving with Gilly because he doesn't want to leave her alone.

-Bran has new visions from the past with Aerys and Benjen reappears!!!!!!! That was amazing. And how he says the last time I saw you you were a boy..... :)

-The theatre group and Mercy. I liked how she finally decides to leave that House and holds Needle AGAIN!! I also loved how she changed her mind after talking to the actress.

Other things (surprises,locations):

-I liked we finally saw Edmure and Walder Frey after 3 seasons and how they mentioned the events of the "Red Wedding" again. I love RW's plot in the books so that's a good start.

-I liked Girona's Cathedral being the new Baelor's Sept. I'm in love with that city (see my avatar visiting it) and the great amount of steps that St. Mary's has made the scene look fantastic with no need of special effects except for the background.

...one thing I haven't heard mentioned here are Bran's visions, which juxtapose Aerys's wildfire with Walkers and wights. There's also a really bloody split second shot of what looks like Ned's hand near a very bloody body of a woman (you can see the hand of a woman in the shot). Anyhow, those were the most interesting bits for me. Can wildfire kill Walkers? What happened to Lyanna? That little bit almost made it seem like she suffered a medieval C-section, ouch.

11 hours ago, kimim said:

...one thing I haven't heard mentioned here are Bran's visions, which juxtapose Aerys's wildfire with Walkers and wights. There's also a really bloody split second shot of what looks like Ned's hand near a very bloody body of a woman (you can see the hand of a woman in the shot). Anyhow, those were the most interesting bits for me. Can wildfire kill Walkers? What happened to Lyanna? That little bit almost made it seem like she suffered a medieval C-section, ouch.

Hey I mentioned the visions :)

The visions happen so fast! I read about them in WoTW and only then I noticed that we see

Spoiler

the hand of Lyanna and Ned!!!! 

and also Catelyn....They are very interesting,  because In the Inside the Episode they said they had to chose which visions to put...

I will watch them again.

But I loved how quickly they happen, just like in S4 when Bran touches the tree!!! It's good to have Bran as the fav male character when he is becoming more and more important!!!

Ad we saw the dragons again, which implies that Bran can see the Future, something that is implied for a second time in the series. And there's probably something more related to the future that if it appears to be true....will be ...."wow"... If you want to know about it, see WOTW.

18 hours ago, kimim said:

I think it's Robb's hand and Talissa's at the Red Wedding. We see Cat being killed. We see Robb being daggered. A darker tanned female hand and a bloodied male hand in what looks like Stark attire at the wrist.

I liked the Tommen's twist, it was hilarious, Cersei gave power to the faith militants to punish margaery but they punished her, and then she wanted to punish them for the walk of shame but they converted her son and king to their cause and he made them his allies and then he banished Jamie (her only ally) from the city, for me it was the most karmic scene so far in this season

On 5/31/2016 at 4:47 PM, sweetsunray said:

I think it's Robb's hand and Talissa's at the Red Wedding. We see Cat being killed. We see Robb being daggered. A darker tanned female hand and a bloodied male hand in what looks like Stark attire at the wrist.

I thought it was Ned and Lyanna, but this one makes sense, too. Thank you :)

I liked the Tommen's twist, it was hilarious, Cersei gave power to the faith militants to punish margaery but they punished her, and then she wanted to punish them for the walk of shame but they converted her son and king to their cause and he made them his allies and then he banished Jamie (her only ally) from the city, for me it was the most karmic scene so far in this season

I'm not sure if "they" are the Faith, or if it's Marg, playing both the Faith and Cersei to save herself and her brother. The outcome doesn't just help the HS, but the Tyrells: Marg gets out of prison without the Walk. Her brother will probably get out, too, supposedly as born again as she is. Tommen is siding with Marg, so Cersei still faces trial, and we know how much Marg loves Cersei. Jaime is sent off, taking a powerful Lannister out of the game. Basically, people now left in KL are the Tyrells and their army, plus Tyrell allies: The Faith, Tommen, the people of KL. At some point, the birds will assassinate Pycelle and Kevan which leaves Cersei isolated, with unGregor as her only ally. Not a good place for her to be.

Can I post constructive criticism here? 

Imma gonna do it anyway because it's the only thread where I may get some decent discussion.

Is anybody else super disappointed that Jon appears to be largely unchanged by his resurrection?  I know he is all pissed and left the Nights Watch but he acted like pre-resurrected Jon would act in these circumstances.  That is if he had just been mortally wounded he would have acted in the same way (maybe he wouldn't have left the NW but I am sure he would have wanted to). 

It's not necessarily criticism of the show, maybe that's how it's written in the books (assuming it is written somewhere).  I am going to be so fucking hacked off if the whole murder plot/resurrection only serves to make Jon leave the NW and become more cynical.  

On 5/31/2016 at 0:50 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

Things about the plot that I liked from this episode:

-Sam's storyline was the best. I really love to hate Randyll Tarly and how Sam hasn't got over his trauma with him. Now, seeing Randyll I know the reason. John Bradley does a fantastic job portraying these emotions.  BTW, the ending is perfect, with the valyrian sword and leaving with Gilly because he doesn't want to leave her alone.

I'm such a sucker for Sam and Gilly.  I have been whining about filler but I would happily watch those two traipse around the Westerlands for a whole episode.  Really pleasing casting, acting and writing for those two.

1 minute ago, Anythingatall said:

Imma gonna do it anyway because it's the only thread where I may get some decent discussion.

Is anybody else super disappointed that Jon appears to be largely unchanged by his resurrection?  I know he is all pissed and left the Nights Watch but he acted like pre-resurrected Jon would act in these circumstances.  That is if he had just been mortally wounded he would have acted in the same way (maybe he wouldn't have left the NW but I am sure he would have wanted to). 

It's not necessarily criticism of the show, maybe that's how it's written in the books (assuming it is written somewhere).  I am going to be so fucking hacked off if the whole murder plot/resurrection only serves to make Jon leave the NW and become more cynical.  

I agree.  As I mentioned in a different thread, if you didn't watch the season 5 finale and the first 3 episodes of season 6, you would have no idea Jon was killed and then resurrected.  There is absolutely nothing different about him, aside from being shoved to the side to give more star time for Sansa.

There should be a cost in resurrection.  Elio and Linda described this in one of their recent videos in great detail.

13 hours ago, Anythingatall said:

I end up doing this here, too, as it turns into show bashing elsewhere. Anyhow...I'm a bit weirded out by the fact that they haven't been concentrating much on Jon. We got Sansa, which is good, but as part of a brother-sister conflict with Jon which I hope they work with further. There are four more episodes. I hope they develop Jon's post-resurrection state as the guy died and found that that there is "nothing" after death. I'd like to know how these discoveries affected him. tbh, I'd have been happy if all of season 6 had concentrated on the North, as so much is going on there.

It's good the see the show getting some new blood, I like the fact that the show is concentrating right now on Sansa and Bran and casting aside the other main characters, it's time for them to get their proper stories after 5 seasons and I'm really tired to see the same faces for five long seasons

OK, so...I'm confused lol.

Liked some stuff: Davos and Mormont were adorable, and Sansa and Glover were pretty perfect. I like the fact that Margaery has something planned. I was ok with what happened to Arya, so long as we're told that it was a trick to get the FM to think her dead...or something like that :/ Sandor's back...good. Jaime and Blackfish convo was straight out of the novels, and it was good, I guess.

I'm weirded out by Sansa. wtf is she thinking, hiding an entire army from Jon? So far, Lady Mormont has shown more common sense than Jon and Sansa combined and quadrupled, so make that kid general, please.

On 5. Juni 2016 at 6:07 AM, Anythingatall said:

I have the same feeling.

Martin knows about philosophy and religion, and about death as the biggest enigma and challenge to mankind in its different interpretations.

i hope very much that Jon is not the same nice guy who  simply needs a good shower and a new task in order to be fine. The enormity of having been dead shouldn't simply be brushed off and he goes on with a happy life of eating, loving and procreating, basically unchanged. This would cheapen his story.

And that's why I am glad that there is maybe no Lady Stoneheart but first of all no glamoured Mance in the Story: it cheapens death not only as plot event but also its philosophical impact. And I hope very, very much  that Bran does never get the ability to change the past and to resurrect his beloved family members, at least not without horrible consequences if he tries.

This may sound like a rant but it isn't. I am writing as a huge fan of both book and show. But cheapening death as plot device and deus ex machina wish fulfilment is something I do not want.

In half an hour, when the man of my heart wakes up, we will watch yesterday's episode :D For now I'll stop reading here straightaway!

On 6/5/2016 at 0:07 AM, Anythingatall said:

I liked how in the prior episodes he was reticent to fight and had to be convinced by Sansa.  That made sense from someone who just got killed for doing what he thinks is right.  But yeah, that wasn't really prevalent in the Broken Man - except when Sansa challenges the leader of the Glover (not sure which one he's supposed to be, although by the conversation he should be Robett).  There's a moment there where Jon gives Sansa a look like "dude's been through enough" that fits with a greater understanding on the cost of fighting.

Things about the plot that I liked

-The siege in Riverrun. Very similar to the books, and I enjoyed it the first time, so it's good to see that on screen. BlackFish was superb.

-Lyana Mormont and Davos. Both characters had a fantastic dialogue, and the girl amazed me. She truly is is a Mormont.

-The return of Sandor Clegane. His new him was very alike to the one from the books, and it's always good to have Rory McCann again in the show. The septon was a good contrast to the High Septon we are accustomed. Ian McShane did a good job.

-I liked the last sentence that Olenna told Cersei. She won, as usual.

-Arya being stabbed was a good twist. So in that sense I liked it, despite I don't like seeing her suffering because she is one of my favs.

Other things

-The cinematography was outstanding in this episode: from the very first seconds with the septon and The Hound to the Siege and Braavos.

Archived