The positive (gasp!) GoT discussion thread (Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

4 hours ago, Ingelheim said:

Sophie Turner said this this:  She doesn’t tell Jon because -- it’s difficult because she doesn’t have that Stark way about her anymore. She’s been broken down; she no longer feels like she can be completely honest with anyone, even her own family. Also she doesn’t want to tell Jon, I think, because she wants all the information and all the power in her court when it comes to Littlefinger. Because [with] Littlefinger she can kind of do whatever she wants with him now. He owes her big time and she wants the ball in her court. 

I think all of this makes sense, rationally. This kind of lying is a result of being victimized and tormented to the point where lies are a knee-jerk reaction, advantage be damned. But Sansa was supposed to grow. Getting her to the point where she is as good a player as Arya is now a ninja was the point of her arc.

Yet the first half of her explanation means Sansa is still a victim. We saw this last season, where Sansa was supposed to play the Boltons...yet did not. This season is a bit better. Wanting LF to herself could be a prelude to something. Maybe Sansa keeps the Vale to herself, and sends them in at the last minute to save Jon. If LF, whom she has asked to leave, surprise attacks with the Vale troops and saves the day, I will break something.

btw sorry to be negative on this thread, but anywhere else on this forum will devolve into an attack on the show. I like the show!

I thought apart from the Kingsmoot disaster, the episode was mostly good. I really liked the play by the theatre troupe. In particular, it shows the way that events can be manipulated by those in power and how it mirrors our real world and perception that everything is not always what it seems. 

1 hour ago, Ser Gareth said:

The Kingsmoot was awful, but it was even worse in the books.  I am so pleased they haven't made Euron into the evil exotic Jack Sparrow he is in the books.

It is not shocking to me that the two of the four biggest waste of space plot lines in the books (Dorne & The Ironborn) have also been poor in the show.  The show should've just cut them all together.

I'd imagine the problem is that by cutting them, you're potentially altering the eventual endgame of the story massively. How big Dorne will be remains unseen (and I think they'll be more tied to the cut Aegon plot), but Euron's probably going to be one of the central villains in the lead-up to the end of the series. If his plans to take Westeros or unite with Daenerys end up being even remotely successful or have a significant impact, it's incredibly hard to cut him from the show without deviating from the books completely.

1 hour ago, Ser Gareth said:

The Kingsmoot was awful, but it was even worse in the books.  I am so pleased they haven't made Euron into the evil exotic Jack Sparrow he is in the books.

It is not shocking to me that the two of the four biggest waste of space plot lines in the books (Dorne & The Ironborn) have also been poor in the show.  The show should've just cut them all together.

I completely agree about Dorne, and in fact the showrunners originally planned to just cut it. That was the right instinct. I also agree they didn't really need The Dread Pirate Euron, but Theon and Yara are good characters with interesting arcs who people care about, I think. If they can use the Kingsmoot scene to weave them into the "Daenerys comes to Westeros" arc, that's a good decision. I hope that's what they're doing. I hope they get there first and Euron has a face full of dracarys waiting for him when he arrives to make an abrupt exit from the show.

8 hours ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

In particular, it shows the way that events can be manipulated by those in power and how it mirrors our real world and perception that everything is not always what it seems. 

Which, to me, is one of GRRM's major themes throughout the series and the number one reason it seems each of us likes different characters and plot threads.  Whom you believe colors for whom you have a rooting interest.

Episode 6  has been the best one from the season by far. The things I liked the MOST from last episode were:

-Bran's storyline. It was really moving. Hodor's sacrifice was incredibly emotional, IMO. I cried, and that's not easy. I literally stood up when that happened and the music played out there as a background. Bran is my favourite male character in the books/show and Hodor wanted to save him..... Wyllis' actor was also very good. After watching the episode somebody in another thread told me that Hodor was warged and he did not sacrifice for Bran (something I had not noticed). However, the actor has recently said he wasn't warged at that moment, so Bran's storyline can't be more interesting at that moment. It's still a mistery how that warging and unwarging played out, and I like that....maybe it will be discovered soon.

I like that Bran is becoming more important in the show.  BTW, The origin of the WhiteWalkers was a great revelation as well. It has been discussed a lot in Bran's threads.

-Meera being a heroine. That's part of Bran's storyline, but if you see my nickname you will understand that I loved how she saved the day. (well, what she could). She used a weapon and killed a WW just like Jon Snow in Hardhome!!!!!!!!!!!

-Arya and the theatre. I think Maisie did a fantastic job there. You could see how she is still Arya again.

-Kingsmoot. From that scene I particularly liked the interactions between Theon and Asha and Theon's speech.

-Jorah and Dany.

I love Ser Friendzone, and I was thrilled when he said to her "I love you". That was a great moment. And that Dany commanded him to find a cure. 

You might see this comment as fanboyism but I assure you that it's not, I'm not in love/hate relations with characters.

In some movies/series I've seen some characters where actors got a little screen time and done so stellar job that I can still remember them, the most recent memorable role for me is Faora Ul (Antje Traue) in supernam man of steel  so I want to salute two actors from GoT for doing the same thing to me :

• Sophie Turner : she literarily saved Sansa Stark character, I read in some forums that GRRM didn't write so much about her in his books and he used the character as a camera to recite other characters' stories and he didn't write anything about her in the two last books, she got so little dialogs in the series but for me she was the personification of innocence
  •  Jerome Flynn : I love Bronn, even he didn't show up too much in the series, he acted remarkably very well in his humourous role 

On 27 May 2016 at 10:38 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Episode 6  has been the best one from the season by far. The things I liked the MOST from last episode were:

-Bran's storyline. It was really moving. Hodor's sacrifice was incredibly emotional, IMO. I cried, and that's not easy. I literally stood up when that happened and the music played out there as a background. Bran is my favourite male character in the books/show and Hodor wanted to save him..... Wyllis' actor was also very good. After watching the episode somebody in another thread told me that Hodor was warged and he did not sacrifice for Bran (something I had not noticed). However, the actor has recently said he wasn't warged at that moment, so Bran's storyline can't be more interesting at that moment. It's still a mistery how that warging and unwarging played out, and I like that....maybe it will be discovered soon.

I like that Bran is becoming more important in the show.  BTW, The origin of the WhiteWalkers was a great revelation as well. It has been discussed a lot in Bran's threads.

-Meera being a heroine. That's part of Bran's storyline, but if you see my nickname you will understand that I loved how she saved the day. (well, what she could). She used a weapon and killed a WW just like Jon Snow in Hardhome!!!!!!!!!!!

-Arya and the theatre. I think Maisie did a fantastic job there. You could see how she is still Arya again.

-Kingsmoot. From that scene I particularly liked the interactions between Theon and Asha and Theon's speech.

-Jorah and Dany.

I love Ser Friendzone, and I was thrilled when he said to her "I love you". That was a great moment. And that Dany commanded him to find a cure. 

As I read elsewhere, whether Hodor was warged or not he would have put his life on the line for Bran anyway, and I do believe that

I love Jorah, and actually met him in our local DIY store. When an actor from GOT lives locally - you've got to root for them!!

what do I love about the show - the actors for sure!!

Lena Headey - what an amazing choice - infact those Lannisters!!

Peter Dinklage, Charles Dance, Nicolaj, Jack Gleeson.

Also Gwendoline Christie, Michelle Fairley, Diana Rigg, Rory McCann and Sophie Turner - my faves.

19 minutes ago, ununsullied said:

As I read elsewhere, whether Hodor was warged or not he would have put his life on the line for Bran anyway, and I do believe that

I love Jorah, and actually met him in our local DIY store. When an actor from GOT lives locally - you've got to root for them!!

Yes!! Well, I still don't know what really happened, but Kristian Nairn said he sacrificed for Bran...so I believe this version :)

And you met Ian Glein?????You are so lucky!!! I love him, and his version of Jorah is amazing

I think Jorah's love for Dany has been settled very well in the show. I don't know what will happen and I'm not very positive on them (I still don't know if Dany does love him or not) but all his scenes are about his love for the khalessi.

In episode 4, the last scenes....when Dany gets out of the tent with the fire...you see everyone bowing....but then there is a close shot of Jorah and he is the only one that is watching Dany; because you know he has experienced a similar event before....he was there before any of the others.....

And last episode when he says "I love you" was incredible. I would have preferred if he hadn't mentioned Tyrion, because it came a little out of nowhere, but still....He will always love her. His love is unconditional. And Dany's response was very emotional too. He cares for him, whether it is something romantic or as her most loyal friend (if not both).

9 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes!! Well, I still don't know what really happened, but Kristian Nairn said he sacrificed for Bran...so I believe this version :)

And you met Ian Glein?????You are so lucky!!! I love him, and his version of Jorah is amazing

I think Jorah's love for Dany has been settled very well in the show. I don't know what will happen and I'm not very positive on them (I still don't know if Dany does love him or not) but all his scenes are about his love for the khalessi.

In episode 4, the last scenes....when Dany gets out of the tent with the fire...you see everyone bowing....but then there is a close shot of Jorah and he is the only one that is watching Dany; because you know he has experienced a similar event before....he was there before any of the others.....

And last episode when he says "I love you" was incredible. I would have preferred if he hadn't mentioned Tyrion, because it came a little out of nothing, but still....He will always love her. His love is unconditional. And Dany's response was very emotional too. He cares for him, whether it is something romantic or as her most loyal friend (if not both).

I know!! I heard his voice first, which is very distinctive, and then there he was, in shorts and flip flops (last summer) - looking mighty fine!!

I think Dany loves him like a brother and that she will die in the fighting and go to Khal Drogo and her child

Holy hell.  It's been about a year since I've had a chance to remember just how much I love Jon Bradley's portrayal of Sam.  It's not my book character, but I think his is every bit as strong.  

ETA: Holy hell again.  The Sam carriage and dinner scenes have been the best of the season by far for me.  Whoever they got to do Randyll Tarly is killing it.  Momma Tarly is killing it.  Bradley is absolutely, positively, 350% killing it.

Sam and Gilly and the Tarlys are cute. Well, Randyll is not. Rest of them are.

I think Marg is faking religiosity to get herself and Loras out of jail, as just two weeks earlier she was telling Loras to fight what they were doing to him. 

Lovely that Arya and Needle are reunited. Looks like they'll be in Westeros this season.

Dany should be in Westeros this season, too: She breaks the siege of Meereen, moves on to Volantis where a convenient slave revolt gets her the Volantene navy, and there is Asha, ready and willing to be her admiral. Then on to Westeros.

What will happen to Bran? He can't hide, thanks to the mark. He can't go beyond the Wall, thanks to the mark. He's kind of screwed.

Archived