The positive (gasp!) GoT discussion thread (Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

GOT's popularity grows, the premiere hit new ratings high

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-season-6-premiere-hits-new-ratings-high/

After 5 seasons, with many popular characters dead, HBO Now and Go and all those torrent sites easily available, it's astounding.

2.2 million people watched the episode in the UK, on sunday night at 2 a.m.

Would like to know the total # worldwide.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

What makes you think it's killed?  Ellaria and the horrible sand snakes are alive and two of them are in king's landing.  Since they chose to kill Doran and not the Sand snakes, it stands to reason we are seeing them again.

Well, I wouldn't call the Sand Snakes fucking some shit up part of the Dorne plotline, more an afterthought of it.

There is no character left alive, that has any political authority in Dorne and they won't introduce any new ones (Yronwoods, Wyls, UIlers, etc.). Well, Daynes maybe.

Hey Guys

New to the board although I've been reading  (OK, lurking) since the end of S5.

Curious what the thoughts are on the purpose of the Mel reveal.  Is it just that, a reveal?  Or also to remind us that she is still capable of magic (not a real good track record of late)?  

16 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Have to say, 'The Red Woman ' was visually beautiful. So many scenes, even the Sand Snake scenes were fantastic to look at. I loved the shot with Sansa and Theon hidden in the tree.

Love the Davos and Thorne conversation through the door.  "I'd like some mutton."  lol.

I've been bitching about the Dorne plot nonstop but other than that I was ok with this episode. Heck, I can even appreciate the Dorne thing as the silliest, pulpiest, campiest garbage this side of Hercules the tv show. 

1 hour ago, DireDoodle said:

Hey Guys

New to the board although I've been reading  (OK, lurking) since the end of S5.

Curious what the thoughts are on the purpose of the Mel reveal.  Is it just that, a reveal?  Or also to remind us that she is still capable of magic (not a real good track record of late)?  

I think it was meant as an omg/wtf moment first and foremost, but it does set the table nicely for a Jon revival. And yes, as you say, it also reminded the more skeptical viewers (although how anyone can doubt her abilities after she pooped a shadow assassin is beyond me) that she is, indeed, the real deal. 

Also, seeing her old and frail and more vulnerable than we've seen her before is almost like a physical representation of her emotional state: she's practically broken, her faith in the Lord of Light hanging by a thread. So it was totally fitting from a symbolic perspective, I would say. 

Yeah I knew when I came on this board it would be Dorne that takes over all discussion. But apart from that, the episode was very enjoyable, and I see no drop in quality at all. I really appreciate the adventurous nature of the show which is a lot more of a rollercoaster than the books where you have to go hunting for the excitement. 

What I love about the show is that its a metaphorical page turner, I literally cannot wait to find out whats going to happen in the next minute, scene or episode. I find it really gripping and the gaps between episodes every week always feel far too long. I kind of wish it was on Netflix so I could binge watch it. In fact this episode seemed to work better as a binge watched edition.

5 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Second viewing makes me appreciate Liam Cunningham even more than before. Davos is set for a big season, should be interesting to see him develop w/o Stannis.

I love the show version of Davos.  He's genuinely a guy to root for and so much more developed as a real character. 

So I love that he's going to be taking a leading role here.

On March 25, 2016 at 7:31 PM, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Except Varys's and Illyrio's conspiracy and motivations in the show aren't credible without Aegon being present.  

Doing it all for Dany is a big stretch.  But that's not really Conleth Hill's fault. 

[Thank you so much for this thread. The complaining gets so depressing.]

I feel just the opposite. The FAegon storyline kind of put me to sleep, and because of my love for Dany, wondered who or why there was some weird Duex ex Character Out Of Nowhere come to usurp BOTH of the contenders? Oh baby, no. 

I love the books. I LOVE the show. Every change that has been made for TV, has made it a visually richer story. It's a different way of storytelling than the written word.

Tell me Lena wasn't perfect on Sunday. Having an actor embody a literary character gives it that third dimension you can't get in a book. How do you write the silence on Lena's face as she watched the barge approach? 

To date, I've no issues with the changes that have been made. Are there things I miss? LOTS, but there are more things I'm glad are gone.

Even Dorne. For me, Dorne was two things: A vehicle to remind us of the importance of Myrcella, and a sad attempt to extend the best/shortest-lived character pretty much ever, that was sort of a nice homage. It was fun! But since it doesn't appear to be integral to the next 22 hours of television, nor the endgame of ASOIAF, so why - 

.....unless, we're skipping to the end of the Dorne storyline, since Quentyn didn't work out?

Pretty decent episode, particularly like the decision to seemingly not have Bran get weirwood run into his body. It works for the books, but having him be able to leave the cave makes sense for the show.

Outstanding episode.  Think I'll stay away from the hater threads for now.

I really thought Jon's scene would be next week.  But I guess it had to be a cliffhanger.

And lol at Tyrion.  Great scene.

Loved the episode. The haters...sorry, the ranters...must be so pressed right now. This is it, no more "but in the books!" whining. Well, I suppose we'll still have whining but it will be out of pure speculation and it'll be hilarious for that. 

I can't remember the last time stuff actually happened in Westeros. No wait, I do remember, it was back in aSoS. 

On 4/26/2016 at 11:38 AM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I don't think Dorne plot was killed, just streamlined. Part of it was killed off, probably any long game Doran had. I think minimising their impact on the main story was a good move. Poor execution (lol) but still essentially something I approve of.

I approve of it too, because I found the season 5 storyline to be very uncompelling.

2 hours ago, DireDoodle said:

Outstanding episode.  Think I'll stay away from the hater threads for now.

I really thought Jon's scene would be next week.  But I guess it had to be a cliffhanger.

And lol at Tyrion.  Great scene.

In an episode with so many good lines, Tyrion got two of the best ones. I laughed at how he acted in that dungeon. He was so scared 

24 minutes ago, Miley the Monstrous said:

Loved the episode. The haters...sorry, the ranters...must be so pressed right now. This is it, no more "but in the books!" whining. Well, I suppose we'll still have whining but it will be out of pure speculation and it'll be hilarious for that. 

I can't remember the last time stuff actually happened in Westeros. No wait, I do remember, it was back in aSoS. 

But.. that's not what the ranters rant about?

It's also still pretty easy to refer to the books in terms of characterization.

Archived