The Old Tongue

Illyrio's motives in GoT

84 posts in this topic

As noted upthread, in Cersei IV, Feast 17, we get a hint about a plot Cersei is cooking up with Balon Swann for Dorne, and we note that the passage suggests that the plot is known only to Cersei and Balon. In The Watcher, Dance 38, we learn what that plot is...

Prince Doran took a jagged breath. "Dorne still has friends at court. Friends who tell us things we were not meant to know. This invitation Cersei sent us is a ruse. Trystane is never meant to reach King's Landing. On the road back, somewhere in the kingswood, Ser Balon's party will be attacked by outlaws, and my son will die. I am asked to court only so that I may witness this attack with my own eyes and thereby absolve the queen of any blame. Oh, and these outlaws? They will be shouting, ‘Halfman, Halfman,' as they attack. Ser Balon may even catch a quick glimpse of the Imp, though no one else will."

That the plot is known only to Cersei and Balon strongly suggests that Varys is the source of Doran's information. 

While Varys might be feeding Doran Martell choice intelligence, it appears to be a one-way street. In Daenerys VI, Dance 43, we learn of the secret pact between Oberyn for House Martell and Ser Willem Darry for House Targaryen to wed Viserys to Arianne in exchange for Dorne's support to reclaim the Iron Throne. In an SSM, the storyteller advised that Varys and Illyrio were not aware of the pact. We should also note that the Sealord of Braavos witnessed the pact. 

On 3/29/2017 at 5:19 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

While Varys might be feeding Doran Martell choice intelligence, it appears to be a one-way street. In Daenerys VI, Dance 43, we learn of the secret pact between Oberyn for House Martell and Ser Willem Darry for House Targaryen to wed Viserys to Arianne in exchange for Dorne's support to reclaim the Iron Throne. In an SSM, the storyteller advised that Varys and Illyrio were not aware of the pact. We should also note that the Sealord of Braavos witnessed the pact. 

Its possible to work together and still keep secrets from each other.

1 hour ago, Lord Wraith said:

Its possible to work together and still keep secrets from each other.

Absolutely.