Is this quote from the books?

I was on a ASOIAF section of reddit that was about political marriages in the books and someone posted the following: "Love, Lord Davos? I know little and less of it. There was a maid of Hightower once... I will keep my council on her. I might have sought a marriage, but Robert threw me at the Florents like meat to a dog. 'It will secure the realm, he said.' It was Varys's doing, I'm sure, that spider was at Robert's ear during every drunken debauchery. They did so love to clip my wings." Is this from the books? If so where? Because I've having trouble finding it or remembering it 

5 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

I thought so, hats off to this person as it does give a logical reason as to why Stannis married someone of a lesser Reach house

Florents aren't lesser, they are an ancient and somehow prestigious House which must be number 4 after the Tyrells, Hightowers and Redwynes and they actually have a claim to Highgarden. So it was a good marriage for a second son when there was no daughter of a great house around his age.

4 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Florents aren't lesser, they are an ancient and somehow prestigious House which must be number 4 after the Tyrells, Hightowers and Redwynes and they actually have a claim to Highgarden. So it was a good marriage for a second son when there was no daughter of a great house around his age.

Not true serval of the Hightower daughters have to be around his age. Plus at the time he was Robert's 2nd inline

2 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Not true serval of the Hightower daughters have to be around his age. Plus at the time he was Robert's 2nd inline

Maybe they were not singles? From what I recall only the Mad Maid is single. In any case a Florent was a good match because of their claim at the  Highgarden.

Nope, not from the books. Might be the show or some of maybe some accompanying material. I think we still don't have a clue how the match was arranged in the books.

9 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

I thought so, hats off to this person as it does give a logical reason as to why Stannis married someone of a lesser Reach house

Marrying into a (somewhat) lesser house is very common, certainly more common than looking at the far side of the continent for a peer. Mama Baratheon was an Eastermont, for one. The Baratheon-Stark-Tully-Arryn deal was actually a unique enterprise.

44 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Maybe they were not singles? From what I recall only the Mad Maid is single. In any case a Florent was a good match because of their claim at the  Highgarden.

Nope Lynesse was still single when Stannis and Selyse wed

43 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Nope, not from the books. Might be the show or some of maybe some accompanying material. I think we still don't have a clue how the match was arranged in the books.

Marrying into a (somewhat) lesser house is very common, certainly more common than looking at the far side of the continent for a peer. Mama Baratheon was an Eastermont, for one. The Baratheon-Stark-Tully-Arryn deal was actually a unique enterprise.

I know it is very common but RR you'd think Robert would marry Stannis to Mace's strongest bannerman as a more direct warning then the Florents 

16 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

She was at least 10 years old during the war, maybe 12, while Stannis was ~18-19. An age gap not too large, and she married Jorah (who would have been 32 at the time) 6 years later on a whim, it's unlikely she had a betrothal at the time.

1 minute ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

I know it is very common but RR you'd think Robert would marry Stannis to Mance's strongest bannerman as a more direct warning then the Florents 

Mance's strongest bannerman? So, Tormund Giantsbane, or Magnar of Thenn? (Sorry, I know, I know...)

Many answers are possible. Including, say, "Robert didn't give a rat's ass whom Stannis married". Or that oft-mentioned Florent claim to Highgarden is actually a thing.

It's pretty simple... Tyrells, Hightowers and Redwynes were pretty interconnected at the time of the RR. The Queen of Thorns was born Redwyne and Mace's wife is a Hightower. All of these families were Targaryen loyalist until after the Sack of KL and the end of Targaryen rule and dynasty in Westeros. Marrying Stannis to a house that has a claim to the Highgarden and is generally opposed to the Tyrells is a raised finger that serves to constantly remind the group that one false step and Robert can give Highgarden to his loyal brother thus blowing up the existing status quo and alliances they spent considerable time building. All he has to do is acknowledge that the Florent claim holds merit.

19 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Couldn't have been, Stannis and Selyse marry in 287 or 288 which is 1 or 2 years before the GJR which is when Jorah marries Lynesse

That doesn't mean that she could had been betrothed and then after Stannis' marriage the betrothal was either broken or he died, maybe even during GR.

19 hours ago, Nyrhex said:

She was at least 10 years old during the war, maybe 12, while Stannis was ~18-19. An age gap not too large, and she married Jorah (who would have been 32 at the time) 6 years later on a whim, it's unlikely she had a betrothal at the time.

Betrothals can happen at any age. Just look Sansa and Joff, Myrc and Trystane, Cat and Brandon. They can be betrothed at any age and maybe even marry at any age *cough*Ermesande*cough*.

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Betrothals can happen at any age. Just look Sansa and Joff, Myrc and Trystane, Cat and Brandon. They can be betrothed at any age and maybe even marry at any age *cough*Ermesande*cough*.

Sure, they can happen at any age, including promising an unborn and hypothetical child. But we don't hear of any such thing for Lynesse, and Jorah only had to ask and got the ok from Hightower.

There are also a number of unsusually late betrothals and marriages, considering that Robb had no betrothal despite the best efforts of some Northern lords, Edmure was unwed at a minimum of 23 years old at the start of the Books, Theon and Asha were still single, Willas is single and Loras is 16 and Marg was older than Sansa and despite the Tyrells' wish to marry into the crown, there was no offer to marry Marg to Joffrey earlier.

Ermesande was actually married already, which is already highly unusual.

I think that it's clear that Lynesse was closer in age to Stannis, was available at the time, and was an overall far better match than the Florents. They are a relatively minor house in the Reach (no more than 2,000 swords), have no more claim than half the other houses, and have no hope of competing with the Tyrells with thier network of marriage alliances. The Hightowers on the other side are the single largest bannermen in the Reach, control about as much land and power as the Lannisters by themselves and their direct bannermen, split the Reach from the Arbor, and even if they don't jump on the chance to side with the crown in a war with the Tyrells because the existing ties between house Hightower and the Tyrells are more important than the option to replace the Tyrells after a war as Lord Paramount, a marriage to the brother of the king can at the very least help put them on the sidelines and break a significant portion of the Reach's power away. 

Considering that Selyse was just cousin to the lord of Brightwater Keep, who had children already, considering that the house has no real chance to pose any sort of threat, even a subtle one, to the Tyrells, and considering that there were other available women from other houses at the time as well, this is an example of Robert's whim than any real planning. At worst it's Robert being an ass because Selyse is not too pretty.

Archived