Ice Dragons in CoTF cave

Falcon2908

As Hodor he explored the caves. He found chambers full of bones, shafts that plunged deep into the earth, a place where the skeletons of gigantic bats hung upside down from the ceiling. He even crossed the slender stone bridge that arched over the abyss and discovered more passages and chambers on the far side. 

We also know that Viserion hangs upside down, just like the 'giant bats' in the CoTF cave, in ADWD

The dragons craned their necks around, gazing at them with burning eyes. Viserion had shattered one chain and melted the others. He clung to the roof of the pit like some huge white bat, his claws dug deep into the burnt and crumbling bricks.

Here's a picture of a skeleton of a bat. It looks like the skeleton of a dragon!

skeleton.jpg

Also, isn't it strange that the skeleton of the 'giant bats' Bran notices haven't fallen down yet? Its' tissues should have rotted away so that it would lose its grip and it should have fallen down.

What if the 'giant bats' are not really skeletons, but they're actually some sort of dragon/wyvern that's just Hibernating?

Very good points.  We know from the WB that there were dragons in Westeros before Aegon came.  The CotF had obsidian weapons and it comes from volcanic activity.  The Valyrian dragons came from the volcanoes of Valyria.  It's very reasonable.  So that leads me to this question...what do you think the CotF did with dragons?

6 minutes ago, sarah.jenice said:

Very, very interesting, OP!

I wish Bran/Hodor would have noted the bone color. Isn't dragonbone black or am I misremembering?

@DarkSister1001 I really do wonder what the CotF were doing with the dragons. I really don't trust them. Bran's ADWD cave chapter had too ominous of a vibe. 

Yes ma'am, black.  Maybe just using them to make dragonglass? 

ETA:  Maybe bc they were black he couldn't see them well.  Arya thought the skulls were monsters at first. 

That's a really awesome catch :bowdown:

54 minutes ago, sarah.jenice said:

I really do wonder what the CotF were doing with the dragons. I really don't trust them. Bran's ADWD cave chapter had too ominous of a vibe. 

Well, they are the ones who reportedly possess the power to crush a part of the continent. Somehow, it reminds me of the Doom of Valyria who had... dragons. 

It is mildly annoying to have two pieces of a big puzzle, knowing they fit somehow but having no idea how or if they even lie close by :-)

2 hours ago, sarah.jenice said:

I wish Bran/Hodor would have noted the bone color. Isn't dragonbone black or am I misremembering?

@DarkSister1001 I really do wonder what the CotF were doing with the dragons. I really don't trust them. Bran's ADWD cave chapter had too ominous of a vibe. 

Yes, the dragon bone we've seen so far is black due to its iron:

Tyrion curled up in his fur with his back against the trunk, took a sip of the wine, and began to read about the properties of dragonbone. Dragonbone is black because of its high iron content, the book told him. It is strong as steel, yet lighter and far more flexible, and of course utterly impervious to fire. Dragonbone bows are greatly prized by the Dothraki, and small wonder. An archer so armed can outrange any wooden bow.

"A Game of Thrones", Ch. 13

But I don't know that that necessarily means that ice dragons (if that's what these are) would share that trait. Black is a color that has associations with fire and burning, maybe the bones of ice dragons have a color that is more closely associated with ice/frost/etc. Just a thought.

Edit:  Also, really good catch on this. I wish Bran had noted just how big "gigantic" is:  does he mean gigantic in relation to other bats or does he mean overall gigantic?

5 minutes ago, Red Man Racey said:

Yes, the dragon bone we've seen so far is black due to its iron:

"A Game of Thrones", Ch. 13

But I don't know that that necessarily means that ice dragons (if that's what these are) would share that trait. Black is a color that has associations with fire and burning, maybe the bones of ice dragons have a color that is more closely associated with ice/frost/etc. Just a thought.

Edit:  Also, really good catch on this. I wish Bran had noted just how big "gigantic" is:  does he mean gigantic in relation to other bats or does he mean overall gigantic?

I know! We must know more, Bran/Hodor! Get back into that cave room and start laying out some specifics!

8 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Very good points.  We know from the WB that there were dragons in Westeros before Aegon came.  The CotF had obsidian weapons and it comes from volcanic activity.  The Valyrian dragons came from the volcanoes of Valyria.  It's very reasonable.  So that leads me to this question...what do you think the CotF did with dragons?

I really don't know tbh. What if they're ice dragons? What if they're storing it for the White Walkers to use them later?

8 hours ago, sarah.jenice said:

I don't think Bran could notice the colour. He was in a cave, so it must have been very dark to note the bone colour.

7 minutes ago, Falcon2908 said:

I really don't know tbh. What if they're ice dragons? What if they're storing it for the White Walkers to use them later?

I don't think Bran could notice the colour. He was in a cave, so it must have been very dark to note the bone colour.

I would argue if you could see far enough to see them on the ceiling, that you would be able to distinguish between black and a more normal bone color. I would agree it would be dark in there, but if you can make out what is on the ceiling, making out the color of what is on the ceiling should not be a problem.

Oh yes. I have blabbed about this before and I am glad someone else sees it too :cheers:

in the past I have checked the World book to search for huge bats being mentioned and there were no references. Just big bats down Sothoryos and over in the caves at Casterly Rock. Harrenhall is mentioned to have nests of bats, but no huge biggies. 

There are rumors that an ice dragons exists within the wall (besides currently frozen Jon Snow). There is a chance that what Bran saw really was just the old bones of a dragon from many years ago  several known dragons have gone missing within the last few centuries. As much as I'd like to see an ice dragon, or another fire dragon, I don't think we will have that opportunity.

As far as bone color, yes, the fire dragons had the black bone color (something that the wiki shows incorrectly as being white/bone color). Bran did not say the color of the bones which in itself could show they are the whiter/bone color. When Arya finds the skulls beneath the red keep she is a little surprised to see they are black. I would kind of expect them to be a different physical makeup than other regional dragons. 

Has anyone read GRRM's story the Ice Dragon. He says it is not set in the ASOIAF world, but you coulda fooled me. Everything is the same. Except those ice dragons. Those are made of actual ice and melt when they die. It is a beautiful story. Read it! :read:

11 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Yes ma'am, black.  Maybe just using them to make dragonglass? 

ETA:  Maybe bc they were black he couldn't see them well.  Arya thought the skulls were monsters at first. 

Dragonglass is obsidian, a naturally occurring mineral formed when lava cools rapidly.  Thats why it exists on Dragonstone and other places there are volcanoes. 

11 hours ago, House Crane said:

So dragon bone isn't obsidian then? Then why is obsidian called dragonglass? 

The name dragonglass is a bit of a misnomer. It is made from the fires of the earth. It is obsidian. 

http://m.westeros.org/index.php/Dragonglass

The black color of the fire dragon bones comes from the high iron content and the bones are often polished and that makes them look like onyx or obsidian.

http://m.westeros.org/index.php/Dragons 

By the way, I love that we are having an ice dragon possibility conversation here... On some level. :cheers:

11 hours ago, House Crane said:

So dragon bone isn't obsidian then? Then why is obsidian called dragonglass? 

Dragons originally came from areas with high volcanic activity and obsidian is a volcanically formed rock so the two would have been associated. People would have named the rock based on this association.

Archived