NHL 2015-16: We finally needed a new thread!

Joe Pesci

Round 3 Game 1 Friday night. Wooo

That was a hell of a game to watch.  2 full minutes of 5-3 time, some gorgeous plays all around, a mindblowing save by Beagle, and Holtby performing like a madman after his first softie.  

And going forward, you can't break up that line, I don't care about Malkin.  He's not looking like himself on the ice and looks like he's skating somewhat injured.  Crosby also might not be scoring, but its clear Sullivan doesn't want/need him to: he'd been using him as a very defensive forward and he did an excellent job at it in my opinion.  That leaves other coaches completely unable to cover the depth line of HBK because Crosby's matched with their best and nobody wants to give Malkin a relatively free rein either.  Spreading that much talent over three lines really does seem to be the way to go for this team, and I'll be really interested to see how the Bolts react to that, what with them having a surprising amount of depth too.  

1 hour ago, MerenthaClone said:

That was a hell of a game to watch.  2 full minutes of 5-3 time, some gorgeous plays all around, a mindblowing save by Beagle, and Holtby performing like a madman after his first softie.  

And going forward, you can't break up that line, I don't care about Malkin.  He's not looking like himself on the ice and looks like he's skating somewhat injured.  Crosby also might not be scoring, but its clear Sullivan doesn't want/need him to: he'd been using him as a very defensive forward and he did an excellent job at it in my opinion.  That leaves other coaches completely unable to cover the depth line of HBK because Crosby's matched with their best and nobody wants to give Malkin a relatively free rein either.  Spreading that much talent over three lines really does seem to be the way to go for this team, and I'll be really interested to see how the Bolts react to that, what with them having a surprising amount of depth too.  

The Pens have had solid players on the third line since Staal left, like Sutter. But we haven't had the all around quality through three lines like this since the  back to back Finals run. Teams have to made to pay for focusing solely on stopping Sid or Geno. 

10 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

The Pens have had solid players on the third line since Staal left, like Sutter. But we haven't had the all around quality through three lines like this since the  back to back Finals run. Teams have to made to pay for focusing solely on stopping Sid or Geno. 

Bonino has more points in the post-season than Brandon Sutter did in the regular this year. :P 

On 5/11/2016 at 6:19 PM, Jabronius Maximus said:

It's kind of a legit question by JB, thought he probably should've elaborated. Tampa's been there and done that just last year, and now they're rounding into form as a team. The Wings were soft opposition, but the Isles were no slouches. Yet here's Tampa sitting with an 8-2 record in the playoffs, and have clutch scoring, great goaltending, good defense and very recent playoff experience. And if they get Stammer and/or Stralman back, then we've got basically the same squad that made the finals in 2015. Plus Drouin, who's been very effective. 

I think this team could be going to the finals again. 

It will be an interesting matchup for sure.  The pens won't be able to rely on simlpy out skating Tamps, so we'll see what else that have in the arsenal.

On 5/11/2016 at 6:33 PM, Jabronius Maximus said:

Ah ok fair enough. Not too familiar with the post history lol. 

And yeah typical Caps. I wouldn't call this a choke though - the Sullivan Pens, given a full season, would probably have a similar record to the Caps. It appears they just lost to a better team. 

it's just a bad matchup for them I think.  it is funny though that they bolstered their back end with orpik and Niskanen, and those two guys more than anyone cost them this series.

23 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

And going forward, you can't break up that line, I don't care about Malkin.  He's not looking like himself on the ice and looks like he's skating somewhat injured.  

Possibly because he's out there with a couple bags of cement.

I'd put Malkin and kessel together.  HBK relies on pure speed, that isn't gonna fly against Tampa.  And to be fair, neither of Kessels goals in game six had anything to do with that line.  One was a breakout feed from Letang and the other was on the power play.  And before game six, they weren't exactly lighting it on fire.

It's pretty clear to me that if you swap Bonnino and Malkin, the production of that line goes up, and the third line stays about the same (since it isn't producing anything anyway), so I'm not sure what the issue is.  

if you're relying on HBK to win you the cup, you're basically fucked, IMO.

Looks like Pete Deboer's game 7 success will continue. Wish the Devils had never let him go. Underrated coach imo.

Sorry about your Preds, Mark. I picked the Sharks as my dark horse team to win it all when the playoffs started, and I still like their chances. 

Sharks over Blues in 7

Penguins over Lightning in 6

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Sucks to go out getting completely dominated. Sharks/Blues will be a hell of a series.

Your boys played hard and played with heart. One of the best game 7's I've seen. There is no shame here. Your team is on the come up.

Sharks had their first important victory against the Blues in the playoffs many moons ago. Let's see it again.

1 hour ago, Bonesy said:

Your boys played hard and played with heart. One of the best game 7's I've seen. There is no shame here. Your team is on the come up.

Sharks had their first important victory against the Blues in the playoffs many moons ago. Let's see it again.

That was one of the best game 7's you've seen? I don't think anyone who's not a Sharks fan would agree. 

Archived