NHL 2015-16: We finally needed a new thread!

Joe Pesci

The Red Wings won, shutting out the Flyers. I think they still need another win in their last two games to secure a playoff spot - either against the Bruins tonight or the Rangers.

13 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

While I agree that moving Murray up would probably be the cap smart move, Fleury is loved here.  Loved. People would flip their shit.

Yeah.  I know people love Fluery.  Sid loves him also, so there's that to consider.  but if Murray takes us deep into the playoofs and performs well, it could certainly be done, particularly if the return is good.

Ultimately, I don't want the team making personnel decisions based on popularity contests in most cases.

And yes, I would put Malkin on the 3rd and give all three lines relatively equal time.  It'd mean that for 50m a game, you would have one of Malkin, Crosby, and the Kessel-hagelin pairing, and that's a ton of constant pressure.  Of course, now that

I've heard this a lot and I don't think it makes sense.  If you really want to leave that second line intact, I'd move Kunitz down and put Geno on Sid's wing. It's the playoffs, that third line has to grind it out, and i don't think you put malkiin in that position, despite how good he can be defensively, especially if he has a wonky wrist.

I'm, not sure it will matter though, because I'm not convinced he'll be ready.

I know that Madden is in favor, I might reconsider.

Ha....

Pittsburgh can certainly consider trading Fleury, if Murray performs well. 

But a look at Vancouver should be a clear warning how much trying to force your established (and aging, though Fleury is relatively young) all star goalie out. I doubt Rutherford could screw things up the way Gillis did in Vancouver, BUT Fleury does have a big contract and a NTC in his contract, right?

36 minutes ago, Notone said:

Pittsburgh can certainly consider trading Fleury, if Murray performs well. 

But a look at Vancouver should be a clear warning how much trying to force your established (and aging, though Fleury is relatively young) all star goalie out. I doubt Rutherford could screw things up the way Gillis did in Vancouver, BUT Fleury does have a big contract and a NTC in his contract, right?

That's a really good question.  I think his contract has a couple more years on it, but I'm not sure about the NTC.

I am very sure Fleury has at least some limited NTC. Not sure how long the list of teams is, he has to be willing to go to. But I very much doubt the Pens could move Fleury to Edmonton or Carolina, because they want him off the payroll.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

I am very sure Fleury has at least some limited NTC. Not sure how long the list of teams is, he has to be willing to go to. But I very much doubt the Pens could move Fleury to Edmonton or Carolina, because they want him off the payroll.

Well, sure.  Obviously you don't get rid of him as a salary dump.  The only reason to do it is if you believe you have a good replacement ready, and you think you can plug a hole with the return for him.

ETA:  This is what I was able to find after a brief search...

It also includes a limited no-movement clause, which essentially means he can’t be waived or sent to the minors, and a modified no-trade clause.

General manager Jim Rutherford declined to elaborate on the no-trade clause, but it is believed to allow Fleury to, before each season, submit a list of 12 teams to which he cannot be traded. His current deal lets him name eight to which he cannot be dealt.

I don't understand why we recalled Sesito.  Seems pointless in general, but even more pointless tonight.

I could see this against Philly next game, but...  Does anyone really expect fireworks tonight?

Pens playing for home ice, caps playing for Holtby.  What could happen, really?

14 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

I don't understand why we recalled Sesito.  Seems pointless in general, but even more pointless tonight.

I could see this against Philly next game, but...  Does anyone really expect fireworks tonight?

They're unsure if Sheary can/will play tonight due to his eye, and the Caps do tend to get physical with the Pens. Makes sense to have someone just in case this close to the playoffs.

Just now, Joe Pesci said:

They're unsure if Sheary can/will play tonight due to his eye, and the Caps do tend to get physical with the Pens. Makes sense to have someone just in case this close to the playoffs.

Ahhh...   had not heard about Sheary.  Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

The last time we played the Caps a couple weeks ago they were head hunting in the 3rd period when the game was lost for them. I believe that is when Dumoulin got hurt and someone (can't remember who) took a nasty shot at Rust on the boards.  I think a good call to play him tonight, if you must.

18 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

The last time we played the Caps a couple weeks ago they were head hunting in the 3rd period when the game was lost for them. I believe that is when Dumoulin got hurt and someone (can't remember who) took a nasty shot at Rust on the boards.  I think a good call to play him tonight, if you must.

Probably Ovechkin, it seems as if the refs are content with letting him run whoever he wants, whenever he wants and never gets called for it. Then when retribution comes, a teammate always blocks him from fighting.

5 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Probably Ovechkin, it seems as if the refs are content with letting him run whoever he wants, whenever he wants and never gets called for it. Then when retribution comes, a teammate always blocks him from fighting.

Yeah I swear that guy always seems to go unscathed. I'd love to see anyone light his ass up. Whole lotta goons on the Caps.

Almost gave that one away. Love Sid getting the winner in OT. Somehow they find a way to pull out the win, whether coming from behind or blowing a lead, they keep their composure. Can't wait for the playoffs.

9 hours ago, Biter said:

Would you rather face the Islanders or the Rangers in the first round?

Definitely the Isles with all their injuries and now Anders Lee is out too, but the Rangers just don't seem to be the team they have been, so if it comes to that I'll take it.

Archived