Pick your favourite character and say something negative about them

The Snow Bear

Eddard Stark is way too forgiving. Nobody should ever have a high opinion of people who killed his friends and loved ones.

On 3/28/2016 at 3:25 PM, Dina of Oldstones said:

Whether you believe that or not, that is not how Bri-Bri sees it. Him, and the thought of failing him takes up the majority of her headspace. The oath originally sworn to Catelyn became her oath to him. When she is captured, she is immediately distressed about failing Jaime and losing the magic sword, and when interrogated, doesn't think about her vow in regards to Lady Catelyn at all, it's 'Jaime swore this...'.

Refreshing to hear Brienne being spoken about like that. She is one of my absolute favourites and an incredible warrior, but I dunno if its skim-reading or whatever, but lot of people read her as a homelier-looking version of Xena the Warrior Princess. She may be strong and good with a sword, but she isn't the wisecracking tough girl we'd expect her to be at first sight. She is extremely naive, easily upset by words (less by wounds) and has little-to-no confidence, which has forced her into this sworn sword role. She likes having someone to serve, to tell her what to, to swear oaths to in order to make her feel useful. Despite the leather and the mail and the patriarchy-smashing that her sword and her actions suggest, she is one of the most subservient character in the series.

I just said a lot of negative things about one of my favourites there :rolleyes:

I loved this but took a while replying to it.  I also dislike Warrior Princess stereotypes.  The essence of the Chivalric code that Brienne adheres to involves service, duty and obedience.  Usually a woman would achieve this by being a loyal and dutiful wife.  Brienne is not trying to subvert the dominant paradigm, just do the same thing in a different way because she is not cut out for the feminine role.  However, she is also a red-blooded heterosexual female so she is at risk of confusing the two...

• 1 month later...

I pick my 2nd favorite since I can't find any negative about my first favorite.

Brienne(2nd favorite character )- she still was loyal to Renly even through she was in listening distances of the mean stuff Renly was saying about Stannis' wife and daughter. 

On 24.3.2016 at 5:28 PM, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

Not sure I would consider that misogynistic.  Of course, I also feel that word is thrown around more often than it should. 

That word gets thrown around way too often. If that already counts as misogynistic there are many people on this forum who are misanthropists too. 

1. Hm. I'll go with Jon Snow. He is too foolish and trustwordy. Like Ned he belives that if you treat people fairly they will treat you the same. It's what gets you in the end...
  2. Oberyn. Overconfident.
  3. Arya. I guess ability to kill without remorse is up there with negative qualities. 

I couldn't pick just one character :D

Ned never told Jon about his mother- and set him up for even more pain when he finds out that not only is he a bastard, but also adopted and his entire life is a lie; no honorably father, no brothers, no sisters- it was all a lie.  He allowed a 14 year old green boy go serve in a frozen prison with Rapists and murders without much thought because it was convenient at the time- rather than having him chose between being abused by his wife (and dealing with his wife's fury) or being abused at court (and dealing with the shame and questions that would come with it). Not only did he allow him to go there, but he didn't feel the need to let Jon know what he was getting into and would NEVER be able to get out of- but also didn't tell him the truth about his family before he made that decision. 

This is my oopinions on the matter at least--- I'm sure there were "reasons," for Ned's actions, but at the same time.... the first book frustrates me for this reason rereading it although I do live Ned.  

Sansa- never got people's big deal with redheads. :P On a more serious note, in early AGOT GRRM definitely wrote her unsympathetically (regardless of the fact that I sympathized with her still in every book).

Bran-disobeyed Cat and can be a little rude? I can't think of many negative things, honestly. He's a little sweetie.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:39 AM, John Doe said:

That word gets thrown around way too often. If that already counts as misogynistic there are many people on this forum who are misanthropists too. 

Appreciate the backup. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Bloodmane said:

Tyrion is ugly.

I would have  gone with abusing that female slave when he was staying at Iilyrio's place. Tyrion also had no objections about  the Small Council starting a rumor that Stannis' daughter ( the rumor was that she was really  Patchface daughter). even Pycelle thought the rumor was to much, Tyrion claims to be all about being for the cripple, bastard, and broken things and yet he allowed the rumor to start(this was when Tyrion was not in a dark place).

Archived