GOSU Chat

Ran

Ran, since the update, when I'm on the tablet I get a white-ish bar at the bottom of the page with "follow", "share", and an arrow pointing down. Now with the chat window on the bottom right, this bar appears at the top. No biggie, but I can't click on my msgs or notifications, etc, because now this bar is now over those things. Is there a way to disable this bar? 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ran, since the update, when I'm on the tablet I get a white-ish bar at the bottom of the page with "follow", "share", and an arrow pointing down. Now with the chat window on the bottom right, this bar appears at the top. No biggie, but I can't click on my msgs or notifications, etc, because now this bar is now over those things. Is there a way to disable this bar? 

You can still make it disappear by clicking the arrow on the right-hand side (was having difficulty reaching the notification bell myself earlier until I remembered)

29 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

You can still make it disappear by clicking the arrow on the right-hand side (was having difficulty reaching the notification bell myself earlier until I remembered)

I've got the same issue when I'm on my tablet, the follow/share bar disappears but then the arrow still remains in the top right corner covering the msgs and notifications. I can spin my screen to access them though when needed.

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not quite. When I click, the bar does disappear but not entirely. I still get a tiny 'box' (instead of a long bar) with the arrow at the top on the right. :dunno:

I really wish I could disable the bar, as I'm always clicking it by mistake (even before the chat pop up)

On 3/25/2016 at 4:47 PM, Ice Turtle said:

Is there a way to make the chat window disappear permanently or disable the chat for my account? I really don't like that the window is visible and covering part of the page even when I minimalize it.   

Seconded.  Don't mind the security aspects around GOSU as you elaborated but I do not want anything running that I haven't specifically opened ... especially on a mobile device, my screen is cluttered as-is, this GOSU chat icon even minimized is making me want to just go to some other site, but there's. no other site like this so please consider that in your implementation.  Agreeing to terms of use is one thing, having widhets and the like forced upon you is another thing and this dude does not abide this intrusive 'app/widget'.

19 minutes ago, Ser Knute said:

Seconded.  Don't mind the security aspects around GOSU as you elaborated but I do not want anything running that I haven't specifically opened ... especially on a mobile device, my screen is cluttered as-is, this GOSU chat icon even minimized is making me want to just go to some other site, but there's. no other site like this so please consider that in your implementation.  Agreeing to terms of use is one thing, having widhets and the like forced upon you is another thing and this dude does not abide this intrusive 'app/widget'.

I downloaded block site add-on for firefox and added gosu to my black list. It seems to be working as a sort of solution for now, I had to just disable notification window of the add, the only unfavourable side effect I know of for now is that is that the add seems to be blocking all sites which link to gosu. So for example while all the others threads on the forum work fine for me I have to disable the add everytime I want to go to this one thread. I am afraid to even look how the forum will look on my tablet however. 

1 hour ago, Ice Turtle said:

I downloaded block site add-on for firefox and added gosu to my black list. It seems to be working as a sort of solution for now, I had to just disable notification window of the add, the only unfavourable side effect I know of for now is that is that the add seems to be blocking all sites which link to gosu. So for example while all the others threads on the forum work fine for me I have to disable the add everytime I want to go to this one thread. I am afraid to even look how the forum will look on my tablet however. 

Thanks, I'm using chrome on this mobile, which is how I generally visit the site.  Right now I can only see half the text I'm typing because GOSU app even minimized is now sitting above my qwerty kb app and within the 1/2 inch of visible screen I have below the adress bar, not acceptable.  Sure if you're. viewing from a monitor, not a problem, but this is just aggravating to no end.  It's Elio's/Ran's site so he/you can do as he pleases to promote a good community through a bit less anonymity, which I have no problem with but surely.there has to be a less visually invasive way of achieving that goal while still providing the optional functionality of the GOSU chat app/program.

As we've noted, it's early days for the GOSU chat. We've contacted the devs with the suggestion of allowing users to dismiss it entirely for a session, or perhaps to make an even more minimal version,  and they said they will be examining this. 

They're very interested in feedback and want to make sure website users get the best experience possible. :)

6 hours ago, Ran said:

As we've noted, it's early days for the GOSU chat. We've contacted the devs with the suggestion of allowing users to dismiss it entirely for a session, or perhaps to make an even more minimal version,  and they said they will be examining this. 

They're very interested in feedback and want to make sure website users get the best experience possible. :)

Thanks Ran... maybe an alternate suggestion would be functionality similar to the FB app for messenger/chat, that has a small circle that yoy can move around the screen and when you close it you hold your finger on the 'button' and then swipe down to bring up an X that you impose the app onto to close.  Possible this method is used for mobiles only so how the app would function on desktops idk.  I can live with just a smaller icon when minimized but if this app is going extend into/replace our existing authentication protocol then it's going to need not be so visually disruptive, the rest of it is fine. 

On Sunday, 27 March 2016 at 8:55 PM, Ran said:

Cheers

Generally, browsing the board and chatting are things I don't want or need overlapping. On a PC it's not so bad, but on mobile it's extremely annoying. Would prefer to have it closed by default. (EDIT: I don't really like the format in general -- I get that the idea is to get more people active, but it doesn't really work and there's just a transient population that asks rando ASOIAF questions and then leaves. The fact that everyone is in it when here, always, makes it very impersonal, more like a shoutbox than a chat room.)

Would also prefer some kind of channel support, but I think that's just a matter of making a new "community."

• 2 weeks later...

Having an issue with GOSU chat.  I followed the "Create ID" protocol, selected the same username as my board name (SerKnute), got the email, attempted to set/change password and I get an error message.  I am though able to see my user name in the GOSU app and type in the chatbox however.  So... now I'm confused, has a pw been set or not?  If not, then how do I set it as the username is now said to be in use so I can't follow the create an account path now... very odd.  If you try to look at my profile you get:  The requested URL /users/f4c45414-437f-44df-ab65-9a360816f922 was not found on this server.

Archived