Podcasts and Organizing them

Lily Valley

Ive been viewing Democracy Now podcasts for years. 

Democracy Now! › podcast
... abuses of power and lifts up the stories of ordinary people working to make change in extraordinary times. Democracy Now! is live weekdays at 8am ET and available 24/7 through our website and podcasts.

Been using spotify to listen to podcasts and now I've finished spirits and I'm back on to night vale - I do really love night vale because I find it kind of difficult to binge ...listen because it can kind of spook me out LOL which I do love I think the podcast is great I just haven't been able to binge it like I did with Spirits which Im gonna keep plugging here because it's amazing 

I just finished the first season of Serial and it definitely lives up to the hype, it really is excellent. If anyone else is a couple of years behind the times like me you should check it out.

I'm not sure it matters too much at this point but I'll put my opinion on the case the series follows spoilers anyway.

Overall I think the podcast makes a pretty strong case Syed shouldn't have been convicted of murder. The prosecution's case is extremely thin. Having said that I'd probably lean towards thinking he did do it even if there isn't the evidence to convict him.

On 3/26/2017 at 1:19 PM, Happy Ent said:

The Rubin Report

Been listening to a lot of his stuff lately. He gets some really good guests. I appreciate his focus (the whole Regressive Left, backlash to political correctness) but I find myself getting annoyed with him at times. Many of his guests share this same viewpoint, but often take it a couple of steps too far in my opinion. It bugs me that he never seems to call them out at all when they do this. I think the Paul Joseph Watson (InfoWars producer) interview was a good example of this. He essentially stated that Muslim Culture was inferior to Western Culture across the board, and Rubin just kind of sat there and blinked. Same with the Sargon of Akkad interview. He contradicted himself a number of times in his breakdown of the whole Gamergate situation, and Rubin never caught it.

The other thing that bothers me regarding him is that he describes himself as being a comedian. I've never heard his stand-up, so I suppose I shouldn't judge, but the guy doesn't have a naturally funny bone in his body. He's a solid interviewer and is well spoken, but he's not funny in the slightest.

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

Rubin is pretty good at letting his guests speak, which I find courteous. His disinclination to push back on things he disagrees with is very deliberate (at least that’s what he says). I think the result is pretty solid.

I agree that it would be lovely if he had an unapologetic leftist (such as me) on the show. Maybe we can suggest that for his fan interviews. Also: arboreal perspective. It would be very long, though.

8 hours ago, Happy Ent said:

Rubin is pretty good at letting his guests speak, which I find courteous. His disinclination to push back on things he disagrees with is very deliberate (at least that’s what he says). I think the result is pretty solid.

I agree that it would be lovely if he had an unapologetic leftist (such as me) on the show. Maybe we can suggest that for his fan interviews. Also: arboreal perspective. It would be very long, though.

Yeah, but there has to be some back and forth for a conversation to have any real meat. It doesn't have to be contentious, but a little disagreement is good, especially when a guest makes a statement that I'm pretty sure he disagrees with, at least on some level. His show often becomes this bubble of confirmation bias and ego stroking. I'm cool with some measure of that for say a half an hour or so, but when the full hour gets taken up without any debate it gets a bit tiresome.

So the more I listen to Rubin the more annoyed with him I get. It seems like he is just laser-focused on the whole Regressive Left point to a degree that has become rather boring. I agree with him for the most part, but if he really wants to confront this issue, he needs to have on guests that provide a good example of views that he finds to be regressive. So far it's been a parade of folks who all agree with his viewpoint. He's not attacking the point of view at this point, he's simply regurgitating the same counter points over and over and over. The only thing that shifts is how that extreme political correctness has effected each of his guests in his or her area of expertise. It's getting pretty tired. Time to branchout a bit, Dave.

On 3/28/2017 at 4:19 PM, ljkeane said:

I just finished the first season of Serial and it definitely lives up to the hype, it really is excellent. If anyone else is a couple of years behind the times like me you should check it out.

I'm not sure it matters too much at this point but I'll put my opinion on the case the series follows spoilers anyway.

Reveal hidden contents

Overall I think the podcast makes a pretty strong case Syed shouldn't have been convicted of murder. The prosecution's case is extremely thin. Having said that I'd probably lean towards thinking he did do it even if there isn't the evidence to convict him.

Spoiler

I agree with you. Gun to my head, I'd say Syed did do it. How he remembers absolutely nothing from the key hours of that day is just insanity. But for the jury to be 100% certain that he's guilty with basically nothing but Jay's uneven testimony is weird. They both had to be involved somehow. 

I think the podcast could've been cut down by a few episodes too. A lot of repeating towards the end, but it was very enjoyable overall.

I just wrapped up the Missing Richard Simmons podcast. I thought it was really well done. I'm a little bias because I love Richard but the story is fascinating even if you have no knowledge or interest about him. 

Some other podcasts in my rotation right now: 

Last Podcast on the Left - Comedy podcast about paranormal, serial killers, true crime... 

The Unresolved Podcast - unresolved true crime and paranormal stories, really well researched

Guys We F***d - comedy podcast hosted by two NYC comedians. They have an assortment of guests and talk about being female in the comedy industry, living the single life and dating in NYC 

The DIS Unplugged - I got into this while planning a trip for my kids and became addicted. It is mostly gay guys discussing Disney World theme park topics. Oddly entertaining and i love how passionate they are. 

The Rialto Report - Interview podcast focusing on the early days of the adult film industry in New York City. Many of these people have lived very interesting (and often tragic) lives. 

The POX and PUSS Podcast - Appalachian Trail Thru-hiker podcast

Best Game of Thrones Podcast: The Joffrey of Podcasts (Hon. mentions: Bald Move, Game of Owns, Cast of Kings, Post Show Recaps)

Best History Podcast: Hardcore History (Hon. mentions: The History of Rome, The Thomas Jefferson Hour, 12 Byzantine Rulers)

Best Film/TV Podcast: Kermode & Mayo (Hon. mentions: Slashfilmcast, The Treatment, The Flophouse, The Watch)

Best Interview Podcast: Bullseye with Jesse Thorn (Hon. mentions: WTF with Marc Maron, Fresh Air)

Best Comedy Podcast: Who Charted? (Hon. mentions: Keith and the Girl, Comedy Bang! Bang!, Never Not Funny, My Brother My Brother and Me) 

Best Science Podcast: Infinite Monkey Cage (Hon. mentions: The Life Scientific, StarTalk)

-

Edited by Davrum

The first episode of S Town is pretty interesting. I kind of thought it was going to be a sort of true crime investigation like the first series of Serial but I'm thinking it's going to be more of an examination of the life of the, eccentric to say the least, guy who contacted the host to investigate the crime.

On 01/04/2017 at 3:34 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So the more I listen to Rubin the more annoyed with him I get. It seems like he is just laser-focused on the whole Regressive Left point to a degree that has become rather boring. I agree with him for the most part, but if he really wants to confront this issue, he needs to have on guests that provide a good example of views that he finds to be regressive. So far it's been a parade of folks who all agree with his viewpoint. He's not attacking the point of view at this point, he's simply regurgitating the same counter points over and over and over. The only thing that shifts is how that extreme political correctness has effected each of his guests in his or her area of expertise. It's getting pretty tired. Time to branchout a bit, Dave.

Completely agree. Initially he was a breath of fresh air, but he's now a broken record and I've yet to see him talk to anyone who has a view he doesn't mostly agree with. A real left winger who could defend their position would be very good to hear. There's a good article on cracked that really lays into his claims 

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

A real left winger who could defend their position would be very good to hear. There's a good article on cracked that really lays into his claims 

Yeah, he needs a guest whom he's willing to spar with for sure. Left or Right, I don't think it really matters. I will have to check out that Cracked article. 

S Town is phenomenal. I listened to because I'd just finished Serial, and thought it was excellent, but S Town is better. It's hard to describe what exactly it is but it's interesting, at times funny, sad and moving. It's the only podcast that's ever made me cry. I saw a review from the Atlantic calling it a 'monument to empathy' which is pretty apt. If you haven't already you should listen to it.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

S Town is phenomenal. I listened to because I'd just finished Serial, and thought it was excellent, but S Town is better. It's hard to describe what exactly it is but it's interesting, at times funny, sad and moving. It's the only podcast that's ever made me cry. I saw a review from the Atlantic calling it a 'monument to empathy' which is pretty apt. If you haven't already you should listen to it.

I cried too. For John,  for Bib and all of its inhabitants,  and for myself. Unexpected. 

Edited by Relic