Lily Valley

Podcasts and Organizing them

172 posts in this topic

Just listened to the first 3 episodes of Welcome to Night Vale. Holy shit! Really unique, bizarre, funny, stupid, absurd and inspired. More or less a parody of a small town community "about town" sort of radio broadcast. Check it out. Thanks to Myshkin for the rec. Good stuff.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Digging deeper into Welcome to Night Vale. At episode 20 presently. Some of the reoccurring jokes gets funnier and funnier (I'm looking at you Carlos, and your perfect hair) and others start to become a bit overplayed (dead interns, anyone?) Still, this podcast really is ingenious, at least on one level. The narrative device is absolutely novel and fantastic. I love the voice actor who does the narration, and the sense of humor of the writers is truly offbeat without being inaccessible. Check it out. Good stuff. 

 

/Oh yeah, the music is pretty damn impressive, both the background mood-setting stuff, and the weather report artist of the week dealie.

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Malcom Gladwell's Revisionist History podcast is back for another season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly a podcast, but Craig Ferguson's Sirius satellite radio show is really good. There are many episodes up on You Tube, which allows me to listen to them in the same manner in which I would listen to a podcast. He gets some fantastic guests and is a really engaging conversationalist. Two of my most recent favorites featured Stephen Fry and Bill Burr...

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Have to say that about 25 episodes in or so that Welcome to Night Vale starts to get a bit tired. Maybe it's just not meant for bingeing? Anyway, I think one of the two writers is really into poetry, and the episodes that rely heavily on it become a bit of a trudge.  

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently found the ESPN 30 for 30 podcast.  The first two episodes were highly enjoyable -- first was about Dan (O'Brien) and Dave (Johnson) and the Reebok ad campaign leading up to the Barcelona Olympics; second was about the Yankees Suck t-shirts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 7/13/2017 at 11:10 PM, Teng Ai Hui said:

I recently found the ESPN 30 for 30 podcast.  The first two episodes were highly enjoyable -- first was about Dan (O'Brien) and Dave (Johnson) and the Reebok ad campaign leading up to the Barcelona Olympics; second was about the Yankees Suck t-shirts.

I was really enjoying the Yankees Suck story up until like the 9/11 tie in. Got kind of weird after that. It got hard to root for these schlubs once they moved to fucking NYC. What the fuck?

 

/Good stuff though

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to listen to podcasts of short stories, mostly horror or similar stories with some crime and political podcasts thrown in. Nosleep, the Bright Sessions, Darkest Night, Lore, Limetown, Criminal, Sword and Scale, Intercepted, Unauthorized Disclosure are all good.

I use player.fm to organize and keep track of episodes/shows. The Adnroid app syncs with the web player version quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listened to the Sam Harris podcast where he interviews Scott Adams (the creator of Dilbert). Adams was recommended to Harris as one of the few people who could potentially discuss Trump as an almost supporter and not come across as a total lunatic. 

For the most part I think that Adams held his own quite well. I find it hard to believe that there are many arguments to be had in favour of anything Trump does, but at least at the start Adams almost swayed me. By the end Harris got a little screechy and emotional and I think Adams arguments completely fell apart when talking about climate change or Russia. 

Still it was at least interesting to get a different side of the story from someone who isn't a complete moron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only person that hates celebrity/athlete interviews on podcasts? Very much prefer when the hosts have guests they are personally friends with, as the rapport is there and it doesn't feel weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sperry said:

Am I the only person that hates celebrity/athlete interviews on podcasts? Very much prefer when the hosts have guests they are personally friends with, as the rapport is there and it doesn't feel weird.

Depends, personally I have no interest in listening in on a conversation between two mates, i prefer podcasts that actually discuss issues or topics. 'Matey' chats tend to deviate off into banter and aimless talk that feel like a waste of time to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/07/2017 at 7:49 PM, Hello World said:

I like to listen to podcasts of short stories, mostly horror or similar stories with some crime and political podcasts thrown in. Nosleep, the Bright Sessions, Darkest Night, Lore, Limetown, Criminal, Sword and Scale, Intercepted, Unauthorized Disclosure are all good.

I use player.fm to organize and keep track of episodes/shows. The Adnroid app syncs with the web player version quite well.

I've heard that App is really good, I hope that the iphone version comes out soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Depends, personally I have no interest in listening in on a conversation between two mates, i prefer podcasts that actually discuss issues or topics. 'Matey' chats tend to deviate off into banter and aimless talk that feel like a waste of time to me.

 

Good podcasts usually do tackle issues and topics. The problem is that celebrities and athletes tend to be morons, and it's just not very interesting to hear them talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Just listened to the Sam Harris podcast where he interviews Scott Adams (the creator of Dilbert). Adams was recommended to Harris as one of the few people who could potentially discuss Trump as an almost supporter and not come across as a total lunatic. 

For the most part I think that Adams held his own quite well. I find it hard to believe that there are many arguments to be had in favour of anything Trump does, but at least at the start Adams almost swayed me. By the end Harris got a little screechy and emotional and I think Adams arguments completely fell apart when talking about climate change or Russia. 

Still it was at least interesting to get a different side of the story from someone who isn't a complete moron.

I started that one last night, but I didn't realize it was up until it was pretty close to my bedtime. Got about 20 minutes in. I like Adam's approach. It seems pretty logical and measured. Looking forward to listening to the remainder of the interview when I get home. Harris has been really good of late. His last podcast with Douglas Murray was very good. I love listening to that guy. He manages to be a really sharp smartass without getting mean or excessively snarky. Really compelling and intelligent speaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Just listened to the Sam Harris podcast where he interviews Scott Adams (the creator of Dilbert). Adams was recommended to Harris as one of the few people who could potentially discuss Trump as an almost supporter and not come across as a total lunatic. 

For the most part I think that Adams held his own quite well. I find it hard to believe that there are many arguments to be had in favour of anything Trump does, but at least at the start Adams almost swayed me. By the end Harris got a little screechy and emotional and I think Adams arguments completely fell apart when talking about climate change or Russia. 

Still it was at least interesting to get a different side of the story from someone who isn't a complete moron.

I just finished listening to this one and it was pretty damn fascinating. Really good example of two guys with very opposed views locking horns in a very civil manner. I think Adams make some interesting points about cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias and the like, but both debaters manage to engage in a fair amount of both. I agree with you that Adams managed to maintain more composure, but I have to ultimately side with Harris. The hoops that Adams has to jump through to back up the claim that Trump is competent are impressive, but also kind of telling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I just finished listening to this one and it was pretty damn fascinating. Really good example of two guys with very opposed views locking horns in a very civil manner. I think Adams make some interesting points about cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias and the like, but both debaters manage to engage in a fair amount of both. I agree with you that Adams managed to maintain more composure, but I have to ultimately side with Harris. The hoops that Adams has to jump through to back up the claim that Trump is competent are impressive, but also kind of telling. 

Yeah I often enjoy 50% of Harris' podcasts, but this was one that I really couldn't turn off. I do think that Harris lost his way halfway through and simply got too flustered and angry to really push Adams on a few of the things he said. That is a shame. 

I think the first half made some very interesting points however. I especially felt enlightened when Adams talked about Trumps persuasion technique of saying something that was over the top, but which tapped into an emotional truth of many of his listeners. We've heard it all before the 'he wont do any of the things he says' line, but you can see that this approach would work with some people. Saying 'I'm going to send all muslims back' might be a good opening gambit to get you to a point where you have slightly tougher immigration rules, as well as making your core base feel better about things.  I'm not sure that Trump does many of the things he does on purpose however, its like he's stumbled upon a technique that seems to work. Adams made Trump appear more calculated than I think he really is. 

But when it came to Climate Change and Russia, Adams really struggled to justify his opinion. As you say there were a number of hoops he had to jump to, to get to where he is. The wealth of information on Climate change is simply too big to ignore, and Adams skirted the issue by simply saying we can kick the can down the road a bit till we know more. Didn't work for me.

On Russia I can certainly agree with some of his points, if you look at each individual case you can find a way of making it look less bad, but when you add up every single incident then it becomes impossible to ignore. 

Edited by Channel4s-JonSnow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah I often enjoy 50% of Harris' podcasts, but this was one that I really couldn't turn off. I do think that Harris lost his way halfway through and simply got too flustered and angry to really push Adams on a few of the things he said. That is a shame. 

I think the first half made some very interesting points however. I especially felt enlightened when Adams talked about Trumps persuasion technique of saying something that was over the top, but which tapped into an emotional truth of many of his listeners. We've heard it all before the 'he wont do any of the things he says' line, but you can see that this approach would work with some people. Saying 'I'm going to send all muslims back' might be a good opening gambit to get you to a point where you have slightly tougher immigration rules, as well as making your core base feel better about things.  I'm not sure that Trump does many of the things he does on purpose however, its like he's stumbled upon a technique that seems to work. Adams made Trump appear more calculated than I think he really is. 

But when it came to Climate Change and Russia, Adams really struggled to justify his opinion. As you say there were a number of hoops he had to jump to, to get to where he is. The wealth of information on Climate change is simply too big to ignore, and Adams skirted the issue by simply saying we can kick the can down the road a bit till we know more. Didn't work for me.

On Russia I can certainly agree with some of his points, if you look at each individual case you can find a way of making it look less bad, but when you add up every single incident then it becomes impossible to ignore. 

 Yeah, it's really all about the guest at the end of the day. I started the other podcast he just released with Geoffrey West and I couldn't get through the first half hour. That said I'm not really into molecular biology, and West isn't a terribly compelling speaker.

 I liked the Adams one quite a bit, as I think it really struck a middle ground between that sort of sycophantic style that Dave Rubin seems to favor and an all-out shoutfest. Both parties challenged each other without things getting personal. Good stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

 Yeah, it's really all about the guest at the end of the day. I started the other podcast he just released with Geoffrey West and I couldn't get through the first half hour. That said I'm not really into molecular biology, and West isn't a terribly compelling speaker.

 I liked the Adams one quite a bit, as I think it really struck a middle ground between that sort of sycophantic style that Dave Rubin seems to favor and an all-out shoutfest. Both parties challenged each other without things getting personal. Good stuff.  

Yeah there are times where I wished that Harris would be a bit more challenging though, he does admit to often inadvertently creating an echo chamber. But his interview with Douglas Murray needed a more critical voice I think, they obviously both have their views on immigration and islam but I would have appreciated a counter voice in there. 

The Jordan Peterson ones were frustrating as well, because Peterson is a bit of a cult figure, and quite an interesting character, but I felt like they both got hung up on certain topics and and couldn't get on the same level. Harris admitted that about the first one but both were disappointing for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now