Cricket 30: World Twenty20 and beyond

ljkeane

On 14/07/2016 at 10:11 PM, ljkeane said:

They'll probably be a little disappointed with the finish to the day but I think anything over 300 might end up being competitive with them having a decent looking bowling attack and England having Vince and Ballance at 4 and 5.

I think your prediction has worked out fairly accurately. With all the attention about Pakistan's pace attack in the build-up, I think maybe Yasir Shah had been a bit overlooked, but it's maybe not too big a surprise that the England batsmen would struggle a bit against top-quality leg spin.

Younus Khan is gone, that's a blow for Pakistan.

Very evenly poised, Pakistan leading by 200ish runs with 5 wickets in hand.

They've got a long tail so it could be wrapped up very quickly but if they can even get to 250 with their bowling they're still a chance.

4 hours ago, Jeor said:

Very evenly poised, Pakistan leading by 200ish runs with 5 wickets in hand.

They've got a long tail so it could be wrapped up very quickly but if they can even get to 250 with their bowling they're still a chance.

It could still go either way, but I'd say it's definitely advantage Pakistan because there lead will probably be up around 300 by the time the English dismiss the remainder of the tail. Yasir Shah must be the biggest danger on a fourth day pitch, Moeen was already getting some balls to turn a lot on the third day. Cook and Root will be the crucial players Pakistan need to dismiss quickly if they want to win.

This is an excellent match. England 3 down with another 200 still to get....I'd probably put England as slight favourites at this stage, given their long tail (in addition to the two at the crease, they still have Bairstow, Ali and Woakes to go).

But another wicket soon would change that very quickly. That's what it's been like all match...neither side has pulled ahead, it's stayed very evenly matched all the way through. Great start to the series. Although I think Pakistan will want to win this more before Anderson et al return for the Second Test.

Great wicket for Yasir, bowling a left-handed batsman around his front pad.

5 down with 150 runs to go. Pakistan a bit ahead now I think, but the England tail is still capable of pulling off a win.

This partnership will be key. They haven't scored quickly but Woakes looks like he's game to hang around with Bairstow.

Really enthralling chase nonetheless. I think I'm going for the Pakistanis - Yasir to spin them to victory!

8 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Been enjoying this match, for sure. England down four but they're slowly grinding out those runs. Who is that Vince fellow in the lineup? (yes, I can Google his stats, but I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on him.)

Vince made his debut earlier in the summer against Sri Lanka. I think he's definitely got talent and can play some great shots but after four Test matches he hasn't yet managed to put together a proper innings (he's not scored a 50 yet). I think he's got potential for the future, but he seems a little bit out of his depth at the moment.

It was a good win for Pakistan, I think they played better overall. England played some good cricket at times and the bowlers did well (particularly Woakes and Ball) but the batsmen underperformed.

It was an entertaining Test match and hopefully the other matches will be similar. Apparently Anderson and Stokes are likely to return for the next Test so England should have a boost as they try to fight back, I'm guessing Finn and either Vince or Ball (depending on what balance they want in the side) will miss out. We didn't really see the ball swinging much at Lord's, given the seam bowling talent on both sides I think it could be a low-scoring game if we do get good swing bowling conditions for later matches.

The test match schedule for next month is packed . We have India vs WI ,Eng vs Pak, Aus vs SL, NZ vs Zim, NZ vs SA. Exciting times ahead .

India have Kumble as their new head coach , let's see what he brings to the table . He should compliment Kohli's aggression well , I could see this working out nicely but they have to get a good start otherwise they will be bashed in the media for not continuing with Ravii Shastri .

On another note Pune has been upgraded to a test match venue and our first match is going to be Ind vs Aus next year . I can finally enjoy some test cricket and not just fricking IPL .

Looks like a very solid start for England. I'm quite tempted to go Old Trafford on Sunday but it's my only day off in two weeks so I'm not sure I'll have the energy to make the effort.

ETA: So Vince and Ballance still look decidedly unconvincing in the middle order. Also Woakes is a pretty good player to be coming out as a nightwatchman.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

ETA: So Vince and Ballance still look decidedly unconvincing in the middle order. Also Woakes is a pretty good player to be coming out as a nightwatchman.

Cook and Root looked like they were batting on a different pitch to the other England batsmen. It could be a long day for Pakistan tomorrow if they can't get Root tomorrow, especially given how many dangerous batsmen there are to come - it might be pretty disheartening for Pakistan to take 7 wickets and then see Moeen Ali walking in as the number 9.

Pakistan must be praying for more and more rain now. Don't see how else they're going to get out of it.

Although given they're 5/71 and surely won't make the follow-on, it's going to have to be a heck of a lot of rain.

Misbah and Shafiq could potentially hang around for a bit (ETA: or perhaps not) but, yeah, hard to see Pakistan getting out of this without a lot of rain.

England's seamers look a lot better as a unit with Anderson and Stokes back in. I do think Ali as a front line spinner is looking less viable though.

I write this in the knowledge that I'm likely to jinx him, but I really like the look of the wicketkeeper Sarfraz. Last Test match, he scored some quick runs just when Pakistan needed them to set a viable target, and even here he's scoring quickly.

He's a busy sort of player who wants to attack but, unlike most of the other Pakistani batsmen, he's equally comfortable knocking it around for a single as well when that's the most he can get. Early in his career but to be averaging in the mid-40s as a wicketkeeper after 20 Tests is a pretty good effort.

Archived