Cricket 30: World Twenty20 and beyond

ljkeane

16 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I don't think he's ever batted in the top three in any international match, so it will be interesting to see how he goes. Given Roy's poor form, it's probably worth a try.

I'm still not clear if the plan is to have him open. Moeen might make more sense given that he's had a fair bit of experience opening internationally.

Yeah I'm expecting a re-run of the last Champions Trophy final. Can't really see Pakistan or Bangladesh getting up (and am still shocked that they are semi-finalists!)

I'm hoping the weather is better for the final this time (although I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't), I seem to remember last time it got turned into what was effectively a T20 match.

10 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I'm hoping the weather is better for the final this time (although I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't), I seem to remember last time it got turned into what was effectively a T20 match.

Yes it would be a shame if that happened again.

Anyone think that this might (finally!) be the last Champions Trophy? I'm not convinced this year's edition has been a success, though I guess there are a few potentially redemptive games left. The ICC has penciled something in for 2021 but who knows if that will go ahead.

Umm...England not looking too clever here. Sixth wicket just goes down. Against most other teams, I'd say they were in huge trouble but you never know with Pakistan and England do bat deep. As long as Stokes is still there, England can get to a competitive total.

Yeah my money is still on England here, provided Stokes bats through (or most of the way through). Pakistan really should be favourites at this stage, but their batting is quite dire.

Pakistan going along quite nicely. Can't take anything for granted though as they were looking comfortable against SL too.

There hasn't been much conventional swing for the bowlers in this tournament which is really unusual for English conditions. IIRC, one of the commentators had mentioned in an earlier game that a different ball is being used, one with a less pronounced seam. Quite disappointing that as it is yet another thing in favour of batsmen in a format that is becoming more and more stacked in favour of batters almost to the point where average (or slightly above average) batsmen are being made to look like world beaters. 

Yeah that was too easy really. I'm stunned. 

I guess Pakistan's best chance was always going to be bowling first and hopefully chasing down a small target. They executed it perfectly. Maybe the Mickey Arthur effect?

ETA: I can just see India smashing Pakistan in the final now, but let's see...

13 hours ago, Paxter said:

ETA: I can just see India smashing Pakistan in the final now, but let's see...

There's a way to go before we get there.

That wicket of Tamim on a no ball could be very costly.

Yeah they've lost too many wickets to be able to launch an effective assault in the last ten overs. I think the toss was crucial again - Bangladesh would've been better off chasing and trying to emulate their win over NZ.

Pretty crazy that the final will end up being a replay of that group stage drubbing of Pakistan!

The grounds are only allowed to use three pitches during the tournament for some reason so they're using pitches which have already been played on now. Seems like an odd rule to me.

ETA: Actually I'm wrong, it was a used pitch in Cardiff but they used a new one today.

Is there any hope for Pakistan in the final? My head says that this will be another one-sided affair, but my heart says that Pakistan can do something special and turn the game into a tight contest.

With Pakistan's bowling attack, they're certainly in for a shout. I'm surprised at how one sided the coverage has been ( basically writing pakistan off); we've been good,  but I don't know to what extent we've been *really* tested. I hope we get a better pitch than the one we had for India V Bangladesh.

Archived