Cricket 30: World Twenty20 and beyond

ljkeane

Pandya hitting it well. You'd think it's Pakistan's to lose now, but if Jadeja and Ashwin can hold an end together, Pandya looks like he could do some damage.

edit: Pakistan letting it slip a bit. Need to get their quicks back on.

edit2: heh, Hasan does the trick, that's a rough one for Pandya, he was looking good

I would have picked Pakistan as the least likely team to win this tournament going in but they're going to win and have done it by blowing away the two favourites in England and India in the last two games. Certainly living up to their reputation for unpredictability.

Well done Pakistan!  Totally deserved too - though I wasn't able to catch the last 6-7 wickets that fell. I didn't think they were the push overs that *everyone* seemed to think they were going to be.

Re: India - Pandya seems like an excellent all rounder, I know he went for a few runs in this game and the previous one, but he's a exciting player for India.

That will take some time to sink in. It's an amazing result, particularly when you consider the thrashing of Pakistan handed out by India earlier in the tournament. Stunning stuff.

Fakhar man of the tournament for mine!

A couple of minor titbits:

1. Kumble was forced to step down as India's coach after the rift with Kohli was confirmed. This was brewing for a while but I think it's a shame. AK is a great student of the game and I think he could have been an effective long-term coach.
  2. Ireland and Afghanistan are both on the brink of test status. A decision is due on this soon. I am open to them being admitted, as it will allow for more competitive series against the likes of the Windies and Bangladesh, who only rarely play well against the top-ranked teams. Some will oppose their admission on quality grounds, but personally I think it's worth it to help grow the game.

I know three posts in a row is a faux pas...but we now have an extra two test nations! I'm slightly worried that Afghanistan will end up being premature, but Ireland will probably not have to wait long for its first test win.

11 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I know three posts in a row is a faux pas...but we now have an extra two test nations! I'm slightly worried that Afghanistan will end up being premature, but Ireland will probably not have to wait long for its first test win.

I'll reply so you won't have to make four posts in a row next time there's a cricket news story.

It would make sense for them to play each other relatively early in their Test careers, so I think at least one of the teams is likely to have a win before too long. History would suggest they might have a long wait before a victory against one of the stronger teams, although I suppose they might be able to use home conditions to their advantage, perhaps some of the Asian teams might struggle with a swinging ball in Dublin in the same way they do in Leeds or Nottingham. If Afghanistan play in Asia they might have a chance against some of the other teams that don't do well against spin bowling. I was wondering where they were going to play their home matches, but the Internet suggests they are going to be based in India and the UAE.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

I was wondering where they were going to play their home matches, but the Internet suggests they are going to be based in India and the UAE.

I didn't think of that actually. How weird that it could be decades before they can actually play a true home test match. Personally I'm proud that cricket is able to provide some hope to otherwise beleaguered sporting nations at the highest level.

And thanks for ending the echo chamber Billy. I've changed my Board title for accuracy's sake.

Archived