Cricket 30: World Twenty20 and beyond

ljkeane

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I think it's pretty clear at this point England need to sort out their top order. Hales and Vince just don't look like test batsmen at the moment and I'm still not convinced by Ballance either.

I think I'd probably bump Ali up to 5 with him showing in this series he's still got a bit to offer with the bat, especially considering they'll probably want to play Rashid as well in India. Opener is a problem but maybe give Robson another go? I've got no idea what they'll do at 4, they might give Ballance a bit more time or maybe pick one of Bairstow or Buttler as a batsman.

ETA: Woakes and Bairstow gone with England still trailing. That's pretty much the nail in the coffin of England's chances then.

I agree the question marks four the winter tours seem to be an opener and a middle-order batsman (although I suspect they could persist with Ballance for the latter). I'd probably play Bairstow at 5 rather than Ali, although there's not a huge difference. I'd say this could be the basic structure of the team:

Cook, ?, Root, ?, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Anderson

Borthwick and Robson were both talked about earlier in the season as possible replacements for Compton, they could still get a chance. Borthwick's bowling could be useful as a third spin option (because England clearly don't have quite enough all-rounders already).

PS - I know it was unlikely to be that long, but it's a pity this isn't a Five Test series so we get a decider. Despite the lack of an overall winner it's been a great series.

So with the test in Trinidad being washed out Pakistan are top of the test rankings for the first time.

There's not a lot between the top sides but I think that's probably fair enough with Pakistan's home record and very creditable draw away against England under their belts. I don't think India really deserve to be top with their ranking rather inflated by a home win against a significantly weakened South Africa side, England have obviously been outplayed but Pakistan over the course of home and away series and Australia just got battered in Sri Lanka.

England get the new record high score in one day internationals with 444 at Trent Bridge.

They really have transformed the side in ODIs in the last year and a half or so. It wasn't that long ago when making 300 in 50 overs didn't usually look on the cards for England.

On 30/08/2016 at 5:58 PM, ljkeane said:

England get the new record high score in one day internationals with 444 at Trent Bridge.

They really have transformed the side in ODIs in the last year and a half or so. It wasn't that long ago when making 300 in 50 overs didn't usually look on the cards for England.

I still find it hard to comprehend how good England now seem to be at ODIs (particularly the batting), they might well be the best batting side in the world at the moment, especially given how deep they bat. They were helped by some woeful fielding and some unfortunately timed no-balls from Pakistan but it's still an impressive total, and they didn't even have to call on Ben Stokes or Moeen Ali. I imagine it must be soul-crushing to celebrate finally dismiss a batsman for 170 and then realise with horror that means they've just allowed Jos Buttler 10 overs to bash them around.

• 5 weeks later...

Aussies have made a reasonable start against ODI. Finch bludgeoning the ball like a freak. I doubt I will be up to watch Aussies bowl, but looking forward to see how the new bowling lineup does against South Africa.

Kiwis managed to stuff up another good start against India. Pujara did well to fight back, specially after all the shit he has been copping for his strike rate (which is such a stupid thing to criticize a test batsmen about....). Hard to see Kiwis batting well without Williamson, so I think India will comfortably win this.

Edit: Finch gone. Damn.

And now Smith. Shouldn't have posted in this god forsaken thread! GAH!

In fairness to Australia they did have a distinctly second string looking bowling attack playing. I'm sure having the likes of Starc, Hazelwood, Faulkner etc would have helped them. On the other hand South Africa were missing de Villiers.:dunno:  

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely the right decision.

The cynical part of me can't help thinking that the last time they lost at home was to England so they probably really want a win though. I expect doesn't hurt that on slow, low pitches turning sharply from day one, like they're largely producing these days, being able to review lbws will help the bowling side and India will definitely have the better spinners this time round.

Speaking of England in subcontinent conditions they're in a bit of trouble on day 2 against Bangladesh.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Speaking of England in subcontinent conditions they're in a bit of trouble on day 2 against Bangladesh.

It's still possible they'll be able to deny Bangladesh a big lead but they're going to need to take quick wickets tomorrow. I am slightly surprised at the inclusion of Gareth Batty in the side, I understand that they want a spinner to offer the control that Rashid and Ali tend to lack, but it's not saying much about England's spin bowling depth that their best option is a 39 year-old who last played a Test match before any of the current side had made their debut (admittedly that's only true because of Anderson being injured).

It was a fascinating day's cricket, though. I just wish Ali and Rashid could bowl with some control. they were spinning it a mile, but were offering at least one four ball per over. It's also time to give up on Ballance. 

I think Bangladesh's collapse today was the sort that even the England team of the 90s might have struggled to match. They must be kicking themselves after Tamim had played so well to put them in a strong position. I'm not sure I have much confidence in England's batting lineup on this surface so Banlgadesh still have some opportunities to strike back.

Archived