Cricket 30: World Twenty20 and beyond

ljkeane

Interesting match. South Africa ahead now you think (effectively 2/100ish) but without Steyn, I don't know if they'll be able to get another 10 wickets that easily.

Unlike South African teams of the past, they aren't stacked with many all-rounders so it will be hard for them to cover for Steyn. Philander, Rabada and Maharaj are obviously going to have to shoulder a lot of the burden but they'll need help - I suspect Duminy might have to bowl a fair few overs of offspin.

18 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Well, this turned out to be quite a bore. Winning is out of the question for Aussies, so it's about surviving a day and a half. So it's going to be a snoozefest now on out. Probably with Proteas winning it anyway.

There might be a surprise.. again!

Haha you must have short -term memory loss TWS: O'Keefe and Nevill faced around 100 balls each trying to save the first test match of the recent Sri Lanka series...

Usman is putting up some good resistance. I don't think this is a certain victory for SA just yet, but it's the bowler shortage that is keeping Australia alive.

Really good win for SA. I feared the worst after a poor batting performance in the 1st innings but SA fought back well to restrict Aus to a two run lead despite losing Steyn. That partnership between Elgar and Duminy was the difference and it was a relief to see our batting lineup perform when we really needed them to, which hasn't happened consistently over the past 18 months or so. Rabada really stepped up in the absence of Steyn and Maharaj had a really good debut.

Regarding the issue of injured players: The ICC needs to get off their arses and do the sensible thing. As it stands, should one side suffer an injury to a player, the rules put that team at a distinct disadvantage through no fault of their own. There is absolutely no valid reason why a side should not be allowed to substitute an injured player. If the fear is teams pulling a fast one then leave the decision of whether or not a player can be subbed to the match referee.

Looking forward to the second Test. Unfortunately I will be restricted to watching highlights since the game starts at 1am over here. Also looking forward to the India/England series, although after seeing England's performance against Bangladesh, I don't hold any hopes of them causing India problems especially since India have looked unbeatable at home in recent series'.

Well there we go! Well done South Africa. To be honest, it is quite the pathetic performance from Australia.

To be only 80-odd runs behind on first innings with 10 wickets in hand, then collapse (losing 10/86 I think) in the absence of the other team's best bowler, allow a massive total, and then get bowled out again by just three frontline bowlers is possibly one of the biggest giveaways in recent Australian test matches. No way should South Africa have ever had a chance of winning this.

And to think they'll be playing in the Second Test with four healthy bowlers - I don't like our chances in this series.

Yes I'd agree with Jeor that that was a shocker from Australia. One of their worst performances since, well, the last test match they played. And the two before that.

I assume Burns and Ferguson will play in Hobart if S Marsh and Voges aren't fit?

19 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Regarding the issue of injured players: The ICC needs to get off their arses and do the sensible thing. As it stands, should one side suffer an injury to a player, the rules put that team at a distinct disadvantage through no fault of their own. There is absolutely no valid reason why a side should not be allowed to substitute an injured player. If the fear is teams pulling a fast one then leave the decision of whether or not a player can be subbed to the match referee.

My cynical mind thinks this would be easily hijacked by teams. A tiring fast bowler trips over and 'injures' his knee, and then a sub comes on. Even if they have to wait until the next innings, bowl your best fast bowler for 30 overs in the first innings, have him suffer an injury right at the end, and then bring on a fresh guy in the second innings.

It's a bit like Ian Healy denying Arjuna Ranatunga a runner after he supposedly got 'injured', "You don't get a runner for being an unfit fattie!" or something less polite than that.

4 hours ago, Jeor said:

My cynical mind thinks this would be easily hijacked by teams. A tiring fast bowler trips over and 'injures' his knee, and then a sub comes on. Even if they have to wait until the next innings, bowl your best fast bowler for 30 overs in the first innings, have him suffer an injury right at the end, and then bring on a fresh guy in the second innings.

It's a bit like Ian Healy denying Arjuna Ranatunga a runner after he supposedly got 'injured', "You don't get a runner for being an unfit fattie!" or something less polite than that.

This is why I mentioned that it could be left up to the match referee to give the okay. I recall the last time the West Indies toured SA and Kemar Roach picked up an injury on day 1 leaving the WI a bowler short for the rest of the Test. He was unable to bat either meaning SA only had to pick up 18 wickets instead of 20. I find it to be quite silly when a team is unfairly disadvantaged in this way due to an injury. Subbing an injured player isn't breaking new ground - it's standard practice in most other sports.

Fuck it. I'm going to give up on the US Election and watch the cricket instead. That's probably not going to go well either but at least it's less likely to have horrific consequences than Donald Trump with his tiny fingers on the nuclear button.

ETA: England win the toss and go with Hameed and Ansari in the question mark positions.

Bloody hell, why's Cook not reviewing that? It definitely looked like it was comfortably going down leg.

ETA: Quite a good start for Hameed but if he's just told the captain not to review when he's clearly not out he's probably just shot himself in the foot a bit.

ETA2: Ffs, England review the plumb lbw and don't review the one that's comfortably going down leg. Not a bad debut for Hameed but he hasn't covered himself in glory on the DRS front.

ETA3: Actually it was Root who told Hameed to review his dismissal. I'll let him off for that one.

ETA4: Not looking too good now with three wickets down. This pitch is actually a bit better the bat on than I thought it was going to be and England won the toss but they aren't taking advantage so far.

3 hours ago, Hereward said:

Root shouldn't have been given out.

Tough one that. I'm not entirely convinced it was out but I wouldn't be confident saying it wasn't either, probably fair enough to stick with the indication from the on field umpire.

Good day for England though, far better than I thought it was going to go. It is better batting than I thought it was going to be though so England will want to rack up a big score and only bat once. If Ali and Stokes stick around for a while they should score quickly although on the downside they aren't players I'm extremely confident will continue their form starting again the next day.

Archived