Soccer Talk: Now With More!

MercenaryChef

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Fantastic game. I was hoping for an Arsenal win (for purely selfish reasons) but I'll take a draw. This probably signals the end of Arsenal's title hopes.

Leicester needs 9 pts from 6 games to guarantee finishing ahead of Arsenal. It's over.

Just now, Mexal said:

Leicester needs 9 pts from 6 games to guarantee finishing ahead of Arsenal. It's over.

Yeah, as a neutral, I was hoping this goes down to the wire but it looks like Leicester will be champions before the final round of fixtures.

If reports are to be believed, we continue looking dull while not winning. I remain mystified as to how Martinez is still employed. At this point, Tony F*cking Pulis would be an upgrade,

Not that I want Pulis, mind. I just want that fraud out, preferably at the speed of light.

9 hours ago, Inigima said:

That disallowed goal should have stood. You cannot possibly watch that and disagree.

Sure. But Carroll should also have been sent off before scoring his third. So maybe it comes out even.

Leicester have got this and now I've given up even the tiny dot of hope that Arsenal could have managed a miracle.

I'm officially on the Leicester bandwagon now for the title.

Plus Tottenham losing to Manchester United would be fun. I still perversely want United or West Ham to beat City to that 4th place, so that after all that Guardiola fanfare he arrives to zero Champions League football.

Well, a United win, you can somehow spin that to a contribution towards the Louis van Gaal employment program. I admit, that only works if you think van Gaal is funnier than Mourinho.

Schalke - Dortmund is quite fun to watch.

At least the second half is. They are really trading punches now.

Why would he leave a title winning team? Well, I suppose he might if there are bigger wages and the promises of more lasting success.

I suspect Leicester will come undone with all the extra European fixtures they'd have to play, but you never can tell. The windfall of new money and the momentum from a title would make anything possible. Their stadium is only 32K capacity but otherwise you'd think they have a decent chance of continuing to be successful, if not challenging for the title every season, a solid European team.

27 minutes ago, Notone said:

Schalke - Dortmund is quite fun to watch.

At least the second half is. They are really trading punches now.

Shame Meyer couldn't win it at the end. Draw a fair result, but not much use to either side.

36 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I think Vardy is to Leicester what as Suarez was to Liverpool.  If Vardy leaves, Leicester is done.

Suarez was Liverpool's best player by a distance. Vardy certainly isn't Leicester's, and he arguably isn't the second best either.

37 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I think Vardy is to Leicester what as Suarez was to Liverpool.  If Vardy leaves, Leicester is done.

I don't think that Vardy is going to be targeted by the wealthy clubs. I'd say the players Leicester are most in danger of losing would be Mahrez and Kante.

I'm not sure Leicester will get away with their counter-attacking style next season in the Premier League. They will be the team to beat and will not get the same space as teams are happy to take a point from the reigning champions. The other option is to change system, but that would require a large turnover of players that would destroy all the unity of this season. Even as the current title holders they wouldn't have sufficient financial resources to acquire a new group of title challenging calibre. I think they will struggle to replicate the emotional energy needed to overcome such overwhelming odds against them, too.

But in the Champions League they will be an unknown package, underestimated and with opponents who play into their hands again. In addition, it will be easier to recover the same intensity in a new competition with fewer games than in the league. So I can see a lower mid-table finish and a Champions League semi for them next season.

Archived