Soccer Talk: Now With More!

MercenaryChef

Apart from being asleep for the first ten minutes today, we matched them pretty well over two legs, although they are so much slicker, sharper and more dangerous in their movement, pressing and passing.  We basically out-grafted them to make up for the deficit in skill, finishing, composure and coordination.

A great win despite some gaping weaknesses.  And Milner got three assists despite being consistently unable to take a corner kick.  Dortmund must be stunned.  It looked sewn up.  They conceded as many goals to us as the rest of their games combined in 2016 so far.

1 minute ago, Notone said:

Penalties in Sevilla.

From what I saw of Extra Time, both sides will feel they should have wrapped it up. Athletic with Susaeta's miss and Sevilla hitting the post and having the bicycle kick cleared of the line in ten seconds.

Liverpool still have their highs and lows, but their highs are looking pretty ominous for next season.

Don't know how you fit both Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool into four CL spots next season. Not to mention Leicester (probably won't be so good in the league with European football) and West Ham etc.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

Don't know how you fit both Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool into four CL spots next season. Not to mention Leicester (probably won't be so good in the league with European football) and West Ham etc.

You don't fit them at all. You let them sort it out for themselves through the League.

It is that simple. CL spots go to deserving clubs and the rest either take EL or "make due" with "only" F.A. Cup and League Cup.

Well, obviously! Competition will be incredibly fierce. The new managers (Guardiola, Conte, and perhaps Mourinho) are going to have their work cut out for them, as well as the older ones like Wenger. I really want to see how Guardiola manages in the league. Even in Spain, which was becoming a three-horse race with the rise of Atletico, the lesser teams still tend to roll over, and Bayern runs a virtual monopoly. EPL will be a new challenge.

5 hours ago, Jeor said:

Don't know how you fit both Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool into four CL spots next season.

They all look pretty flawed in various ways right now, and I doubt they'll all magically fix it over the summer, especially with 2-3 changing manager this summer and lots of uncertain transfer activity.  It'll be competitive and fun next year but I doubt this six will all be dominant in the league next year.

While I'd like to be optimistic for next year, we need a big improvement in our CM plus some more depth at FB and winger.  And I still hope for a new GK.  At least Can is growing into the CM we/I expected, but Henderson, Milner, Lucas and Allen are not currently offering the right caliber for a starting role in CM.

I think Tottenham may be the closest.  Add one or two players and they could dominate next season. 

The other likely contenders all look like they're a bit further away.  But who knows? Add one or two players to any of the team's you listed and it could make all the difference. 

On 4/14/2016 at 10:36 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

A great win despite some gaping weaknesses.  And Milner got three assists despite being consistently unable to take a corner kick.  Dortmund must be stunned.  It looked sewn up.  They conceded as many goals to us as the rest of their games combined in 2016 so far.

Just two assist, I thought? Origi's goal was assisted by Can, and Coutinho took the corner that led to Sakho's equaliser?

But even with two assists, that's a massive contribution, and as critical as I've been of him this season, he was great last night and he keeps getting assists (and he's also very solid from the penalty spot). That should not be overlooked.

My hero and idol and real captain of LFC Sakho was partially to blame for all three of Dortmund's goals with some very dodgy positioning, but he made up for it with a huge block, five clearances, 65 passes and 100 % tackling success (oh, and the small matter of a goal).

This was a team that hadn't lost in 2016, that kept a clean sheet against Bayern, and that had rested 7 players at the weekend for this game. They wanted this, and they wanted it badly, and they're one of the form teams in Europe. This was a watershed moment. The Klopp era has begun in earnest. Football!

Very worried about Can's injury, though. He's been huge over the past few months. Luckily Allen seems to be stepping his game up, and K-Stew has looked solid when he's been given the chance.

Erzulie - yes, just two in the match and three in the tie.  I thought at first he took the corner for Sakho, but that was Cou.  Milner's corners are terrible for someone who crosses so well from open play. 

Can will be a huge loss if injured for long.  CM already looks like our weakest area.  Allen is tidy but not dominant and Stewart did well for a kid but was actually very sloppy with the ball too many times against a poor Stoke. 

I don't think you can talk up Sakho's performance when he contributed so much to their three goals. Blocks and tackles are nice but outweighed by playing strikers onside all the time. 

Archived