Soccer Talk: Now With More!

MercenaryChef

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

This. He's got a lot of penalties this year doing that but it doesn't make it legit.

Agreed.  It's only slightly less blatant than Ashley Young and it's about time he was called on it.

Will Everton rest players midweek for the derby ahead of the semi-final?  It seems like their season rests on the FA Cup but losing the derby seems intolerable for them.  I think Martinez may need to go full strength for both and hope for the best.

29 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

we are taking three off city tomorrow.  

seriously. 

You have everything to play for and they have one eye on RM.  Late season games are such a mix of must-win and can't-be-arsed (look at Stoke's last two games). 

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Will Everton rest players midweek for the derby ahead of the semi-final?  It seems like their season rests on the FA Cup but losing the derby seems intolerable for them.  I think Martinez may need to go full strength for both and hope for the best.

I think he'll have to play full strength in both games. Considering people have started calling for his head, if he goes into a derby asking to lose ... 

Well, it worked wonders for Roy Hodgson, didn't it?

15 hours ago, Notone said:

Just rewatched that Leicester game highlights. How on earth can anybody claim that Vardy was diving for his second booking. You can argue it was not worth a penalty (I think it was though), but a dive? 

I have no doubt that he was trying to buy a penalty there. It was not an unintentional tangling of legs but rather Vardy deliberately initates contact to con the ref. He's done this sort of thing before. The one example that springs to mind is the Arsenal game where he deliberately initiated contact with Monreal - he got a pen and Monreal was booked. This time the ref didn't fall for his antics.

Vardy did initiate the leg tangling, and if that was the only contact I'd definitely call it a dive.

But West Ham defender (I don't remember who it was) did grab his arm and there was a bit of rougher play before Vardy decided to add a bit of flair to it.

Either way, that was far from the only wrong call the ref made. West Ham penalty was given after approximately the same amount of contact as the incident Vardy got his second yellow for, there was a definite penalty on Huth, and the penalty finally awarded to Leicester was ridiculous.

Most of that article is about how the ref shouldn't be abused after the match, which I guess we can all agree on.

Other than that it's talking about how players should've helped him, which I don't agree with. If they do help him that's great but it's not in their job descriptions. That's what linesmen are there for.

Switching blame to the players, as badly behaved as some of them may have been is ridiculous. Referee is there to punish any behaviour he deems improper, and if he has failed to do so then it's not players' fault.

Wait a minute?

I thought the EPL had fulltime professional referees?

While I agree that refeering a game is a very tough and ungrateful job, it does not mean that refs are or should be shielded from the same criticism players and managers are subjected to. Having that said, Moss was awful that day.

I don't get all the fuss. The only decision Moss got wrong was the penalty at the end.  I thought he was doing great until then, and under very difficult circumstances.  

2 minutes ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

I don't get all the fuss. The only decision Moss got wrong was the penalty at the end.  I thought he was doing great until then, and under very difficult circumstances.  

Huth deserved a penalty so it kind of washes.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Huth deserved a penalty so it kind of washes.

Cosmically, perhaps.   But missing a call is different than deliberately fucking one up to placate an aggrieved side, in my opinion.  I think he wimped out. 

But I wouldn't want to be a ref, so I tend to be very sympathetic.  Also, I've seen the standard of officiating in MLS, so I know how good the Premier League refs really are. 

Is it possible to get tickets for Liverpool vs. Villareal?

In two weeks I'll be in Manchester for a week for some corporate training, which will be hosted at Old Trafford because of our sponsorship relationship with the scum.  The only balm for this stinging shame is that Liverpool's second leg home game against Villareal will be that Thursday.  I'm trying to see if it's possible to get a ticket and travel to Liverpool that evening for the game.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Isk, I can't imagine it'll be easy. Perhaps, if you were willing to pay well over the odds, but even then...

I'm happy to pay an eye-watering price, I just want to have a source that's trustworthy.  Ticketbis and footballticketnet both look a bit shady based on reviews. 

In the US, stubhub will guarantee the authenticity of the ticket you buy from them at an exploitative mark-up. 

So now my brother is ready to travel from Dublin to Liverpool to join me for the Villarreal game and he's hunting down some ticket sources.  This is starting to look like it could happen.  I haven't been to Anfield since I was 21 (Liverpool 5, Notts Forest 1).

10 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

So now my brother is ready to travel from Dublin to Liverpool to join me for the Villarreal game and he's hunting down some ticket sources.  This is starting to look like it could happen.  I haven't been to Anfield since I was 21 (Liverpool 5, Notts Forest 1).

Awesome. Hope it works out (and the away leg goes okay :D )

Archived