College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

35 minutes ago, sperry said:

Got my final four tickets today.  Lower level for face value from the Syracuse website.

That's interesting.  So the Cuse alums weren't gobbling them up apparently?

Best of luck to your team.  I remember Kentucky playing there in the 2011 Final Four.  Lots of people talked about problems with depth perception on the shooting.  Hope it doesn't bite the Sooners.

Enjoy the trip!

Also... Let me just remind REG that I warned him about making a thread with his team in the title at tournament time.  He scoffed at it.

The basketball gods are fickle indeed and not to be trifled with lightly.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

:agree:

Why I'll also remind you I'll be claiming all new thread titles going into next season before you start the 40-0 stuff ;) 

15 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

:agree:

Why I'll also remind you I'll be claiming all new thread titles going into next season before you start the 40-0 stuff ;) 

I'll wait for us to sign Bolden before I start thinking 40-0.  ;)

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Best of luck to your team.  I remember Kentucky playing there in the 2011 Final Four.  Lots of people talked about problems with depth perception on the shooting.  

Brad Stevens agrees. :D

That's awesome, Sperry. Good luck and enjoy. The only Final 4 I've ever been to was in 2012 when The Brow dominated in New Orleans. It was fun as hell and Kentucky made me some decent money.

My shame knows no bounds.  I'm watching this Morehead St. game on ESPNU and am totally invested.  I'm a grad.  I'm screaming at the TV.  It's a close game. This is the first game of my alma mater I have watched all season.  :leaving:

That shall change forthwith going into next year.  

Brennan Greene has also declared his intention to go pro and sign with an agent.  It's kind of funny, but I do wish him well.  The kid made four total shots over the past 10 games, and didn't play at all the last weekend because of back spasms.  He's a damn good shooter, but that's all he can do well right now and seems really fragile (a hip injury hobbled him at the end of last season). 

Josh Jackson's talked about KU having a couple of wings leaving after the season, so it's obvious that our coaching staff has been keeping his camp quite well informed.  That and a lot of other things are making me feel extremely confident about him being a Jayhawk next year (like the fact that he recently followed another of our 2017 commits, 3* UR Mitch Lightfoot, on twitter). 

I'm wondering if a little bit of it is the fact that Aaron Miles is on the staff now, and they have that firsthand knowledge that if you're not quite NBA material you can still have a damn fine career and make a lot of money overseas (and live in places they never dreamed of).  I'm getting a little worried about Svi declaring, but as long as he doesn't sign with an agent I'm pretty confident about him coming back.  Even if Greene had come back for his senior season, it was quite evident that Svi would have started in front of him.  He showed flashes of brilliance this year - it's also funny that he's also younger than Josh Jackson, but would be a junior to Jackson's freshman if they're both on our roster next year.

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

Also... Let me just remind REG that I warned him about making a thread with his team in the title at tournament time.  He scoffed at it.

I'm sure that's it.  I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that the ref that called four of the five fouls on Graham lives in Philly.  Naw, they don't have any city pride or anything. 

Really though, I think it's because I didn't turn my lights on and off in my living room four times during halftime.  Because that makes more sense.

21 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

I watched soccer yesterday

You poor bastard.  I would almost feel bad for you, but I watched The Flash yesterday, so I don't.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm sure that's it.  I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that the ref that called four of the five fouls on Graham lives in Philly.  Naw, they don't have any city pride or anything. 

Really though, I think it's because I didn't turn my lights on and off in my living room four times during halftime.  Because that makes more sense.

WHY WOULD YOU TEMPT FATE LIKE THAT?!!!?

11 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

:o :o THE HORROR!  

Morehead St. could never quite get over the hump against Nevada last night, the lead floated around 4-7 points most of the night and then Nevada stretched it out in the last 3 minutes... so the series is now tied 1-1 with the finale on Friday night at 9pm (ESPNU, for those of you stuck watching D-II lacrosse or The Flash and might be interested.) 

1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

:o :o THE HORROR!  

Morehead St. could never quite get over the hump against Nevada last night, the lead floated around 4-7 points most of the night and then Nevada stretched it out in the last 3 minutes... so the series is now tied 1-1 with the finale on Friday night at 9pm (ESPNU, for those of you stuck watching D-II lacrosse or The Flash and might be interested.) 

I will say that with the advent of CBS SportsNet and NBC's sports channel that I don't know the name, there were several more Murray State games I was able to see this season than most.  ESPN3 also had a handful.  Just got to keep an eye out on the obscure offerings.

44 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I will say that with the advent of CBS SportsNet and NBC's sports channel that I don't know the name, there were several more Murray State games I was able to see this season than most.  ESPN3 also had a handful.  Just got to keep an eye out on the obscure offerings.

Oh yeah Morehead has been on ESPNU and a few of the lower-tier channels quite a bit this year, I just hadn't watched them.  (see my embarrassment post above).  Plus it's just a 30 minute drive to the arena for me, which as an alum I can get free admission to most regular season games, never sold out, easy parking, etc.  It just really hit me the other day that there's really no excuse for me not to be a better fan of the Eagles.  I'm going to change that.

Typical NCAA:  GameCocks invited to NCAA tourney... then not.

South Carolina was invited to the NCAA Tournament on Selection Sunday only to be told minutes later by NCAA officials there had been a mistake.

The NCAA issued a statement Thursday also confirming the report.

South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner on Thursday confirmed a previous report by NOLA.com indicating that NCAA travel officials called the Gamecocks for arrangements only to rescind the invite and inform them of the error, according to WISTV 10.

The Gamecocks were not told by the NCAA that Vanderbilt was the team selected ahead of them. South Carolina was 24-8 prior to its NIT appearance and was seeking its ninth all-time trip to the Big Dance, its first since 2004.

:lol: 

Ha!  And the NCAA is not alone in their embarrassing gaffes. 

Earlier today, the AP's twitter account announced that Denzel Washington had been named Player of the Year.  :lol: 

Hey!  As I'm typing this, I'm trying to add in the picture of the tweet and when I hit the "Insert other media" it only gives me the "Insert existing attachment" option (that has never worked).  Have they killed our multimedia abilities on the site?!!?  :tantrum: 

Anyways, here's a link.

Congrats to Coach Self on Coach of the Year by the way.  Definitely well earned.  When I think of REG's complete despair at the Champions Classic compared to finishing as the top overall seed, I think it is well and truly deserved.

Lastly, there's this from UK:

UK Athletics has announced that here will be a special Kentucky men’s basketball press conference on Friday at 2 p.m. ET in the Memorial Coliseum.

The press release doesn't state what it's for, but it sounds like big news none the less if it's something that's not only going to be attended by media, but will also be live streamed at UKathletics.com for fans to see as well.

There's also no word on who will be speaking at the announcement tomorrow, and one has to think John Calipari may not even be part of it. Calipari is scheduled to be in Houston Friday to be on the Dan Patrick Show and is likely attending the coaches' convention in Houston for the Final Four this weekend as well.

So this is interesting to say the least. Maybe a player is announcing they're coming back? Maybe someone like Jamal Murray is announcing their hiring an agent and will officially forego the rest of their college eligibility.

Or maybe UK is getting a new Maker's Mark bottle. Whatever it is, you can watch it UKAthletics.com, and we'll keep you updated here on it.

I have no earthly idea what this might be.  The theater spectacle of announcing for the draft has been taken away by everyone declaring, so I doubt it would be an announcement for Murray.  :dunno: 

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

I have no earthly idea what this might be.  The theater spectacle of announcing for the draft has been taken away by everyone declaring, so I doubt it would be an announcement for Murray.  :dunno: 

All that for Murray to declare he was hiring an agent for the draft?  That was... anti-climatic

31 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

All that for Murray to declare he was hiring an agent for the draft?  That was... anti-climatic

Yeah... having the entire team declare kinda stole the thunder from the announcement.  :dunno:  Happy for Jamal though.

Its amazing that Ulis is being projected as a lotto pick now though.

22 hours ago, Rhom said:

Congrats to Coach Self on Coach of the Year by the way.  Definitely well earned.  When I think of REG's complete despair at the Champions Classic compared to finishing as the top overall seed, I think it is well and truly deserved.

Yep, he definitely deserved it after the job he did this year.  And that wraps up three national coach of the year awards for him this season, so that makes it extra confusing as to why Tubby Smith won Big XII coach of the year award.  I really think they should just go ahead and rename it the Big XII Bill Self Coach of the Year Award and just make him exempt (I'm fairly confident that it will take on that name the minute he retires).  He took last year's team which wasn't that good, and turned them into a great team with no significant contributions from new comers.  What a great job.

Archived