College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

If you're a fan of a high-end power-5 team, this is a lot like watching a train wreck in slow motion.  But you can't deny the heart, the desire, and the emotion of these two teams to win this series.  I'll admit my opinion is biased, but I'm still enthralled with basketball in April, so I'll take it!  :dunno: 

ETA:  MSU down 21-12 halfway through the first half, but I've heard the announcers say "Morehead, Kentucky" at least 12 times so far during the telecast on national television.  That can't be a bad thing. 

ETA 2:  The ugliness of the 1st half has given way to some real play.  Morehead St. was down by 14 in the 1st half, but has it tied with 8 to go... play in the 2nd half has been much more D1 level, for both teams.

ETA 3: Overtime.  Morehead was up by 1 with 1 minute to go in overtime, with the ball, but managed to lose by 3 in a wild and crazy final minute.  What a game. My opinion of coach Sean Woods definitely ticked up a few notches this past week. And I've definitely never much thought of playing a series for any sort of college basketball finals, but watching this has made me think.... why not?  

47 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

This thread is entirely too desolate for it to be Final 4 night.  This is weird

Perhaps a lack of Villanova fans? This hasn't been much of a game for a while now.

I'm still sitting here in awe of that Nova game.

If the UNC result holds out for the second half, Monday night's game could set up to be crazy fast paced.

46 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm still sitting here in awe of that Nova game.

If the UNC result holds out for the second half, Monday night's game could set up to be crazy fast paced.

Haha, how do feel now about the quality of Villanova basketball? It certainly isn't a fluke. I'm not trying to be rude, but UK plays in one of the weakest conferences in America. It goes to show you that great teams can come from weaker conferences. And as a UK fan you should know this. UK has a cake walk year in,  year out in the SEC. 

9 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Haha, how do feel now about the quality of Villanova basketball? It certainly isn't a fluke. I'm not trying to be rude, but UK plays in one of the weakest conferences in America. It goes to show you that great teams can come from weaker conferences. And as a UK fan you should know this. UK has a cake walk year in,  year out in the SEC. 

:agree:

I have to agree.  I'd argue the SEC was the weakest of the Power 5+1 conferences this year (counting the Big East in basketball).  

This has not historically been the case, but as the SEC as a conference has shifted it's entire laser focus onto football dominance over my lifetime, the quality of basketball on a conference level has steadily declined.  UK typically had at least 3 or 4 other teams in the SEC they had to overcome for supremacy in ages past... this year it was one (A&M).  None of the schools really seem to care, as football money eclipses basketball money (even at UK).  The feeling I get from most of the other SEC schools is that they're happy with a mediocre basketball team, as long as the football team is winning.  (I'm in that camp too, except I never get a winning football team, woe to me!  I'd gladly trade Calipari for 4 years of a top-tier SEC football team at UK ;) )

As to the final 4, I didn't watch a second of either game.  I checked the score a few times on each game to see if I wanted to turn it on, then went back to playing Minecraft with the boys. 

Now that I have a villain to route against in UNC, I'll watch the final and at least I still get to say, go Wildcats!!!  

2 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

(I'm in that camp too, except I never get a winning football team, woe to me!  I'd gladly trade Calipari for 4 years of a top-tier SEC football team at UK ;) )

I don't even know who you are any more...

36 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

@Ded As Ned, I was more or less just giving Rhom a hardtime at the disgust he's shown Villanova since getting a #2 seed. Conferences generally go through cycles anyway. 

My Nova disgust has more to do with their routine early flameouts than the conference they play in.  They have looked just as good in recent years only to underperform on the big stage.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

I don't even know who you are any more...

It's because you never venture into the football thread :P  I've always been this way. Football is my sport and UK is my team... so, I'm a glutton for punishment and disappointment. How many people you know who were at the box office at 9am when UK spring football tickets went on sale?  Hint:  I was the only one there and got a strange look from the attendant.  But we're in the front row, 8 seats!

Why does this game tip off at 9:19 ET?  Is it so that people on the east coast can just stop watching at halftime, and not even worry about whether they should stay up for the rest?  I mean, I understand that if you live on the west coast that having major sporting events start at 5:30 or 6pm is annoying, but if given the choice, I would happily have the NCG start at 6pm over 9:20.  At least then I could see the end. 

Man I can't believe how bad OU got throttled.  I was pulling for them.  

But now that it is over, I think we can all agree that their 44 point beat down at the hands of Villanova in the Final Four is WAY worse than WVU's 39 point sweet 16 loss to last years Kentucky NBA farm team.   

Now that this chapter has been closed, with OU securely holding on to the title of single most embarrassing late-tourney loss, we can all move on and begin to heal.

Jim Boeheim sure has an interesting definition of "cheating"

"When they say ‘cheating,’ that’s not true," Mr. Boeheim said. "Rules being broken is a lot different. Cheating to me is intentionally doing something, like you wanted to get this recruit so you arranged a job for him, or you went to see him when you shouldn’t. You called him when you shouldn’t to gain an edge in recruiting to get a really good player. That’s cheating."

That's funny, Jim, because the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines cheating as: 1. to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something.  What an asshole.

1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

@Maithanet I think it's to maximize their ratings... but yeah on the east coast it sucks.  I doubt I'll be awake past halftime.

Yup, so fucking annoying. I leave for work at 11:10 so I'll miss crunch time if it's a close game.

1 hour ago, S John said:

Man I can't believe how bad OU got throttled.  I was pulling for them.  

But now that it is over, I think we can all agree that their 44 point beat down at the hands of Villanova in the Final Four is WAY worse than WVU's 39 point sweet 16 loss to last years Kentucky NBA farm team.   

Now that this chapter has been closed, with OU securely holding on to the title of single most embarrassing late-tourney loss, we can all move on and begin to heal.

Absolutely.  I heard it on the radio, so I don't have the source; but the stat I heard said that this is the first time a top ten team has lost by more than 40 since something like 1939.  :stunned: 

Also, I'm glad to hear that REG will soon be a Vanderbilt fan.  I know how much he loves that entire family.  Anchor Down good sir.

Archived