College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Bolden is slated to be on the ESPNU signing day special tonight, but he's not necessarily announcing his school... which would seem odd to me.  Don't know why he would be on there if he was just going to say "Yeah, its tough; I don't know where I'm going."  Everything I'm hearing says that his mom is 100% in favor of Duke, while he is split between the Blue Devils and Kentucky but might favor UK slightly.  Tough call to move against momma at his age.  :dunno: 

:lol:  Typical.  Some of these kids really milk it with the recruiting shit.  Its why I only follow it very loosely in both football and basketball, it just really bugs me for some reason.  I'll tune in and see what the squads look like each week once the season gets going, but until these kids do anything on a college campus their dramatics don't mean jack shit to me.  Too many of them fall through or fail to live up to expectations.  It must be infuriating for coaches, who are adult men, to be strung along by and be forced to indulge in the games of a child.  A big, athletic child.. but still.  

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Is Memphis really in a spot where it needs a "steady the ship" kind of hire? 

Yes, actually. That program is a mess right now - they were struggling to get 7 or 8,000 fans for home games this year, which is unheard of. Thing is, their fans aren't that hard to please, really all you have to do there is be competitive against top programs, make the tournament and get a sweet 16 every few years, which Tubby will do given the talent that will naturally flow into the program. It might not be a home run hire for them but it's a stand up double at worst.

Interesting...

Chad Ford

‎@chadfordinsider

Thon Maker was just cleared by the NBA to enter the 2016 NBA Draft according to sources. Story coming ...

There was talk he wouldn't be eligible for college.  He went to prep school for a year.  So is this a viable path to the NBA now?  Graduate high school and take a year of prep school?  This will be intriguing to watch moving forward.

47 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Interesting...

There was talk he wouldn't be eligible for college.  He went to prep school for a year.  So is this a viable path to the NBA now?  Graduate high school and take a year of prep school?  This will be intriguing to watch moving forward.

It may be for the top prospects, but I've read it's not a great idea for Maker since scouts have no clue what he's going to be like. Course, someone will likely draft him and if he sucks he can milk a salary for a couple years.

But for guys like Simmons, that option would make a lot more sense than college.  And especially for the guys who are jumping overseas to play.

The only people that it would be a viable tactic for are those academically at risk, those that feel they have something to hide from the scouts that would be watching them closely in college, and those who leverage their talent to a pre-NBA payday by the way of agents/handlers.  If they want to get a payday they might as well just go overseas as soon as possible, that seems a hell of a lot smarter than parking at a prep school for a year.

Well Texas Tech found their new coach in Chris Beard, he was the head coach at UNLV for a total of 3 weeks :lol:   Whoever they hire will be the fourth coach since January, and right now they have only two scholarship players for next season.  Dump. Ster. Fire.  We're scheduled to play their next season on a return game... hopefully that gets deferred.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Well Texas Tech found their new coach in Chris Beard, he was the head coach at UNLV for a total of 3 weeks :lol:   Whoever they hire will be the fourth coach since January, and right now they have only two scholarship players for next season.  Dump. Ster. Fire.  We're scheduled to play their next season on a return game... hopefully that gets deferred.

:lol: 

A lesson to be learned for all the future Stephen Zimmermans of the world to be sure.

In other news, Marques Bolden is slated to announce his decision tomorrow on  his 18th birthday.  I'm glad... I didn't want to be waiting around on the whims of a teenager for several more weeks!  :lmao:  At this point, I fully expect him to go to Duke.

I think it's all but assured that he'll go to Duke. The arms race between them and you is interesting to watch, especially with K getting his best player back (how stupid is Allen?) and Cal encouraging his to go.

Wha... Wha... Whaaaaaat?!!?  Is sanity beginning to take hold at the NCAA?!!?  Is the temperature in Hell dropping?!!?

Proposal 2015-52 will allow institutions to pay the actual round-trip costs for a prospective student-athlete's parents or legal guardians to accompany the prospect on his official visit and will be implemented August 1, 2016.

It passed 14-1.  :stunned: 

8 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Not surprised really... this year will be his only shot at getting drafted, and that is dicey at best.  Next year he definitely won't.  Might as well strike while the iron is luke-warm.

He could improve, ya know. Buddy Hield just went from mid second rounder to top 5 player from junior to senior year.

23 minutes ago, sperry said:

He could improve, ya know. Buddy Hield just went from mid second rounder to top 5 player from junior to senior year.

Stranger things have happened, but I just don't see it.  UK already has Adebayo, Killeya-Jones, and Gabriel coming in next year, and Tai Wynyard and Humphries returning... Lee might get some minutes off the bench, but if Bolden comes (doubtful) I don't think Lee will ever see the floor.   Just my thoughts, and I'm often wrong.   

ETA:  And this year's draft is the weakest in quite awhile, and next year's looks to be much stronger... so it'd probably make sense for him to go this year, IF he can get paid.

Congratulations MFC and Lady Whitestripe... :rolleyes: 

UNC skates free.  Football and Men's basketball left out of most recent notice of allegations.

Honestly, if the NCAA isn't purposed to protect academic integrity, why does it even exist any more?!!?

41 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

If only Uconn had the same African-American studies program, maybe we wouldn't have been banned in 2013.

Nope.  You would have been banned until 2023. 

Dana O'Neil has a pretty good article about it.

So gather 'round the rulebook, all ye NCAA conspiracy theorists, we have found Jerry Tarkanian's Holy Grail: The NCAA is so mad at the Carolina football and hoops teams, it's going to penalize the bejesus out of women's basketball.

Archived