College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

15 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Is this new information? <_<  I wonder if they'll be played in January again.

It was highly suspected with the game at Lawrence last year, but we've had other games in the Big XII/SEC challenge that didn't have a specific return game.

So the confirmation is new as far as I know.

I never get why there aren't more big time non-conference games in basketball, since there is basically no consequence if you lose.  Seems like it would be a great recruiting tool. Seems like the Dukes and Kansases adn Kentucky's of the world would want to set up home and homes with each other all the time. But as I understand it, the blue bloods generally refuse to play home and home non-con series and will only play these random neutral site games.

4 hours ago, sperry said:

I never get why there aren't more big time non-conference games in basketball, since there is basically no consequence if you lose.  Seems like it would be a great recruiting tool. Seems like the Dukes and Kansases adn Kentucky's of the world would want to set up home and homes with each other all the time. But as I understand it, the blue bloods generally refuse to play home and home non-con series and will only play these random neutral site games.

Can't speak for everyone else, but Calipari has been very open in his desire to have the big games in neutral court sites that are very big and more closely resemble a tournament atmosphere.

Despite that though, we have UCLA and Kansas coming to Rupp this year.  That's some solid blue blood action.

Throw in UNC in the CBS Classic, Michigan State in the Champions Classic, and our annual game with UofL; and this team will certainly be tested in the non-con.

Theres a very real chance that our first game of the year might be Valpo at Rupp. That would be a huge mid major challenge for a young team early in the year.

11 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

KU is playing Indiana, Duke, and UK this season.  All four teams are projected to be in the top 10.

Playing Kentucky in Rupp is great. In general I'm not talking about the nonsense one off neutral site games though.

@sperry, but wouldn't the one-off bigtime neutral site games be more of a recruiting tool than home-home series?  Pitching a recruit on playing the bluebloods in the confines of big-time arenas would have better results than pitching them on getting to play home-home series with some of the bluebloods, imho... 

I love home-home series as a fan, but as for recruiting, I think the big-time neutral games have a better effect.  Your mileage may vary.

5 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

@sperry, but wouldn't the one-off bigtime neutral site games be more of a recruiting tool than home-home series?  Pitching a recruit on playing the bluebloods in the confines of big-time arenas would have better results than pitching them on getting to play home-home series with some of the bluebloods, imho... 

I love home-home series as a fan, but as for recruiting, I think the big-time neutral games have a better effect.  Your mileage may vary.

The home and home you can bring recruits in for official visits, in a ridiculous atmosphere.  You'll still be playing in the holiday tournaments in exotic locations.

That's a decent point, but I think (at least from UK's perspective) that type of tactic has largely been replaced with the Midnight Madness hoopla.  Big Blue Madness is the definition of ridiculous atmosphere.  A regular season game in Rupp is not.  I'll not get on my soapbox about the wealthy, lower-arena retiree-season-ticket-holders at Rupp in this post (but maybe I'll give them a good finger wag)

2 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

That's a decent point, but I think (at least from UK's perspective) that type of tactic has largely been replaced with the Midnight Madness hoopla.  Big Blue Madness is the definition of ridiculous atmosphere.  A regular season game in Rupp is not.  I'll not get on my soapbox about the wealthy, lower-arena retiree-season-ticket-holders at Rupp in this post (but maybe I'll give them a good finger wag)

At least they show up.  At OU, the wealthy season ticket holders just have the tickets to up their points status for football perks. They don't even show up to the games.  The best seats in the house are 20% full at every single game.   They may show up to the KU game if OU has a good team.

Not cheap, but UK needs to reduce seating capacity in the upper level and get the white hairs into some luxury boxes.  Get the younger alums into those seats closer to the court.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Malik Newman expected to drop out of NBA Draft; may transfer from Mississippi State.

More evidence that these elite prospects just need to go to UK, KU, Duke, or UNC.  Last year's recruiting class featured a lot of really weird decisions, and very few of them paid off.

I was just coming to post that, and that Marcus Lee is dropping out of the draft, but transferring from Kentucky.  Maybe you guys will use his scholarship on Newman :lol: 

29 minutes ago, sperry said:

At least they show up.  At OU, the wealthy season ticket holders just have the tickets to up their points status for football perks. They don't even show up to the games.  The best seats in the house are 20% full at every single game.   They may show up to the KU game if OU has a good team.

That's pretty ridiculous, maybe OU should change the system and start deducting points if those seats aren't filled.  :dunno: 

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Not cheap, but UK needs to reduce seating capacity in the upper level and get the white hairs into some luxury boxes.  Get the younger alums into those seats closer to the court.

Nobody wants to pay for it though.  I know I don't.  The school really needs to build a new arena on campus.

5 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I was just coming to post that, and that Marcus Lee is dropping out of the draft, but transferring from Kentucky.  Maybe you guys will use his scholarship on Newman :lol: 

Good ol' fashioned tradesfer?  Newman comes to UK & Lee can go to MSU (except he said he wants to go West closer to home).

More happy about Briscoe coming back than sad about Lee leaving.  Net gain

6 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That's pretty ridiculous, maybe OU should change the system and start deducting points if those seats aren't filled.  :dunno: 

They are pretty good about letting people wander down into those seats during the game. It's a stupid policy, but honestly OU hoops only gets attention when they're really good, like this past season.

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Jackson in his first scrimmage as a Jayhawk today.  Not much defense was played, he had 21pts, Mason on his team had 24, and LeGerald Vick on the opposite squad led all scorers with 29.  There was some defense played though, as fellow freshman put Jackson on his ass with a clean block at the 2:45 mark.

Here's a clip of them messing around yesterday, and it's probably because of the bad lighting (as it's really difficult to see their faces), but for most of it I was confused as fuck as to which guy was Vick and which was Jackson in that video. Every now and then we get a look at the back of their jerseys, but damn, somebody needs to forfeit that haircut!

It's crazy that Late Night is less than four months away.

Archived