College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

27 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Isn't there a big question mark about Ayton's academic eligibility?

2 more months to basketball!  

There is.  He's from the Bahamas and there is speculation he could possibly go the Maker route.  At the very least his eligibility will be scrutinized on a Labissierre/Diallo type level.

Lavar Batts Jr committed to VCU today. Top 2017 recruit in NC and top 100 guard on all recruiting services. Huge get for Wade and perfect player for our system. Hoping that starts the flood of commits with all the officials we have upcoming.

NCAA to pull championships from state of North Carolina due to House Bill 2.. This includes NCAA tourney games.

The release and a subsequent tweet explain why North Carolina's law differs from other states.  Additionally, there are five states that preclude state employees from traveling on state business to North Carolina.  Conceivably, this could be interpreted to include athletics staff members or potentially even student athletes.

On the one hand, I tend to resent the notion that the federal government can issue an executive mandate telling states what their restroom policy should be. That part of me hates to see the citizens of North Carolina punished for taking a stand on what they believe.

On the other hand, I am a believer in free market forces. What we are seeing is the definition of that. Companies refusing to do business because they disagree with the stance of the population. I’ve always felt this to be the best method to social change along the lines of the Montgomery bus boycott. Refuse to provide/use services and society will bow to the pressures.

And of course, if I had a third hand… I would be ecstatic that Duke and North Carolina will finally have to play outside Tobacco Road in the NCAA tournament! :lol: 

(Also with that third hand, I could fit right in with the original Total Recall movie!)

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

NCAA to pull championships from state of North Carolina due to House Bill 2.. This includes NCAA tourney games.

The release and a subsequent tweet explain why North Carolina's law differs from other states.  Additionally, there are five states that preclude state employees from traveling on state business to North Carolina.  Conceivably, this could be interpreted to include athletics staff members or potentially even student athletes.

On the one hand, I tend to resent the notion that the federal government can issue an executive mandate telling states what their restroom policy should be. That part of me hates to see the citizens of North Carolina punished for taking a stand on what they believe.

On the other hand, I am a believer in free market forces. What we are seeing is the definition of that. Companies refusing to do business because they disagree with the stance of the population. I’ve always felt this to be the best method to social change along the lines of the Montgomery bus boycott. Refuse to provide/use services and society will bow to the pressures.

And of course, if I had a third hand… I would be ecstatic that Duke and North Carolina will finally have to play outside Tobacco Road in the NCAA tournament! :lol: 

(Also with that third hand, I could fit right in with the original Total Recall movie!)

Did you see the NC GOP's response? It's insane.

10 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Did you see the NC GOP's response? It's insane.

Amongst all the ridiculous straw man creation there; I actually do agree that the NCAA is making too big a deal about this in the shadow of ignoring situations like Baylor.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

UK has sanded down the court at Rupp and is giving it a brand new paint scheme, to be revealed at Big Blue Madness.  I swear if the stupid new logo is anywhere near being prominent I will lead the revolt!  :commie:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it center court and dominant.  

My understanding is that it is to be the new UK font (that looks like Houston) and more of the damn checkerboard.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

My understanding is that it is to be the new UK font (that looks like Houston) and more of the damn checkerboard.

I'd be perfectly fine with that.  I'm in the minority that is a fan of the checkerboard... and the new font doesn't really stand out much for me.  I'll take it, as long as they forget about that logo. :P

ETA: They also have to keep the baseline text, Kentucky on one end and Wildcats on the other in block lettering.  They can lay the checkerboard behind that if they want.

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

New logo, new font!? Is an institution like Kentucky basketball really in need of rebranding? This sounds insane from a 3rd party perspective.

Also, checkerboard is straight up copying the Big Arrrrrnj. It is known.

VCU just got another big time commit last night, 6'7, 265 lb Marcus Santos-Silva. He's a top 150, high 3 star and considered one of the best rebounders of the 2017 class (avged 10 RPG during Peach Jam against very talented competition). Very excited for him and think he fits really well with Lavar Batts, top 100 PG and our needs.

At this point, we still have 3-4 more scholarships for 2017 and 3-4 more targets Aamir Simms (official on 9/30), Sean Mobley (official 9/23), Mayan Kiir (official Oct 22) and Cedric Russell (already had in home visit). I think we'll likely land two of Simms/Mobley/Kiir and hoping for Russell as he shoots 45%+ from 3. If they land 2-3 of those targets, we're talking about a top 10 draft class for 2017. That's really exciting and think it ties into Rhom's question from a few weeks ago on moving on from Shaka.

17 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

UK has sanded down the court at Rupp and is giving it a brand new paint scheme, to be revealed at Big Blue Madness.  I swear if the stupid new logo is anywhere near being prominent I will lead the revolt!  :commie:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it center court and dominant.  

Oh no.  I'll hope you get spared the tragedy we faced back in the 90s when replacing this with this.  That damn gator head started showing up everywhere.  And lately they've been working on changing all the fonts for athletics into some god-awful mess.  

I get I'm well-past the demo these college athletic departments are trying to reach, but I do miss the simpler times when 'branding' wasn't a thing, and new uni combos weren't a weekly source of excitement/trepidation.  Plus, i just miss that old logo....

37 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I mean, I get it as a shared experience sort of thing. I just wonder where they get the free time? I guess they take vacation days. To wait in line. For tickets. In a tent. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I mean, I get it as a shared experience sort of thing. I just wonder where they get the free time? I guess they take vacation days. To wait in line. For tickets. In a tent. :lol: 

Many do take time off from work to camp out, although a lot of them are college-age kids that probably aren't working.  A lot of them team up in shifts as well, so they're not actually there the entire time. All to wait in line for tickets to a pep rally on steroids.

I'll be playing the frantically-hit-refresh lottery on ticketmaster friday night at 10pm.  Haven't scored since Billy Clyde was here.  They usually sell out in about 3 seconds

Archived