College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

23 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

And... Louisville escapes any sort of punishment.

Typical.

Looks like only Pitino got charged with failure to monitor. He'll likely have to sit some games at some point, but yeah, nowhere near as bad for them as it could have been.

You have GOT to be kidding me...

NCAA rejects UNC's argument about bogus classes.

For two years, UNC-Chapel Hill and NCAA officials talked about the investigation into nearly two decades of fake classes as a joint probe, with both working together to find out if rules were broken.

That cooperative spirit wasn’t in evidence Tuesday, when newly released correspondence showed the NCAA no longer views the university as a partner in the investigation. It instead cited the university’s “willful violations” and “blatant disregard” for NCAA regulations.

On Friday, both sides are expected to be battling again before the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions in an unusual preliminary hearing. UNC is seeking to have a major infractions case thrown out through due-process issues. One of its arguments: The NCAA knew about the fake classes in mid-2011 while investigating other misconduct involving the football team but did not take action.

So let me get this straight... The NCAA lets you skate by and keep your national title in basketball and all your wins in football… and then after you have successfully convinced them to pin it on the hapless women’s basketball program, you are going to argue that they are being too strict?!!?

Gift horse. Mouth.

Look it up UNC:tantrum: 

The NCAA lets you skate by and keep your national title in basketball and all your wins in football… and then after you have successfully convinced them to pin it on the hapless women’s basketball program, you are going to argue that they are being too strict?!!?

Gift horse. Mouth.

Look it up UNC!

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article110315307.html#storylink=cpy

Great comment I saw on a UK message board regarding Duke as the number one team:

I don’t agree because they are just one OSHA inspection away from having Grayson Allen disqualified for being a trip hazard.

:lol: 

Well the polls are out.  More or less about right, I'd say.  Good thing is it'll all shake out as the season moves along.  Really looking forward to the Kansas game at Rupp... Count me as one who is going to be lined up early for tickets when they go on sale. 

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Our first exhibition game is tonight. Not that I'll learn much from it, but I can't wait to see how the team is working together and the progress of Vick, Svi, Bragg, and Graham, and how Jackson fits.

:D

They're fitting together just well enough for VCU to beat you guys in round 2 of the tournament :)

25 minutes ago, Mexal said:

They're fitting together just well enough for VCU to beat you guys in round 2 of the tournament :)

:thumbsup: Let the smack talk begin!!!!!

Its basketball season baby!

WVU preseason ranking of #20, exactly what I would expect. At least in basketball we've earned and are giving the respect I feel we're due. So, who are your guys thoughts on who will be the top teams this year. I don't really keep up on all the new recruits and instant impact transfers and such. Don't say UK, anyone beside them I'd like to hear your thoughts on. 

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

WVU preseason ranking of #20, exactly what I would expect. At least in basketball we've earned and are giving the respect I feel we're due. So, who are your guys thoughts on who will be the top teams this year. I don't really keep up on all the new recruits and instant impact transfers and such. Don't say UK, anyone beside them I'd like to hear your thoughts on. 

Do you want the answer or what?  Because the answer is UK. ;)

Other than that, it's the usual suspects.  Duke is given benefit of the doubt because of returning talent + stud freshmen; but two of them are injured.  They should be back in a few weeks, but late arriving freshmen have a steep learning curve.  Might be tough to hit potential.

Kansas is good again and will win the Big XII for the fiftieth straight year.  Nova is the defending champ and didn't lose a ton.  Etc.

Uconn #18. We're guard heavy per usual, with Sophomore Jalen Adams hopefully taking that next step towards becoming our next stud. I'm concerned about their offensive consistency as last year they were just plain bad in too many stretches against AAC competition, which is still disheartening in many ways. They need a clear leader this year. 

Mexal, what can I expect out of Larrier? 

38 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Nova is the defending champ and didn't lose a ton.  Etc.

I think losing Ochefu qualifies as a lot (and Archidiacano, but their backcourt can weather that loss easier), especially with the kid they were expecting to step into his shoes being ruled ineligible.  They'll still have an excellent season, but I don't think they're Final Four contenders.

Virginia and Oregon should both be quite good.

Duke's lack of a point guard is a big time question mark.

I don't know what UNC's PG situation is like after losing Paige, but that might have been a good thing because he seemed to get progressively worse after his stellar freshman season.

Arizona has a lot of talent, but Sean Miller is still their coach.

Archived