Could Either John Snow or Gendry be Robert and Cersei's allegedly dead son?

Bradley Abbas

This idea started as I was wondering who would be the legitimate king of Westeros if Cersei loses her trial. Tommen and Marcella are illegitimate and therefore out of the line of succession. Stannis is dead with his only heir a crisy critter. Renley is dead with no heirs. So with no one else left, would that make Gendry, the oldest known male bastard of Robert Baratheon, the legitimate heir. Then I started to wonder if Gendry could possible be Robert and Cersei's first child. Did Robert and his first hand conspire to hid the child away from the Lanisters? Cersei claimed that her first child with Robert had thick black hair. She also mentions that Robert did not let her see the dead child. But why would the hand suddenly go searching for Robert's bastards 15 years later if he was complacent with Gendry.  To me this ruled out Gendry as being Cersei and Robert's child.

Then I started to wonder if John Snow could be Robert and Cersei's first child. He also fits the description of dark thick hair. Ned goes off to war and comes back with a baby - was there enough time for the child to be Cersei's? I haven't really seen any timeline regarding when they got married. From Robert's position, he is forced to marry Cersei to put together a kingdom. It would make some sense for Robert to stash his child with his friend Ned Stark in the north, but this doesn't seem to jive with Robert's questions about Ned's bastard's mother. Could be, but doubtful.

But what about John being Robert's first bastard. When Robert asks about John's mother, Ned is evasive. He also never tells John who his mother is. Everything else about Ned's character makes it seem pretty unlikely that Ned would have fathered a bastard while he was newly wed or any other time. This is the only action attributed to Ned that is not honorable at any time. Would honorable Ned take on a child that he knew was his friend Robert's bastard son and not tell anyone the truth. But if John was Robert's bastard there doesn't seem to be any reason not to tell Kaitlyn Stark the truth. At the time John goes to the wall, Ned has no idea that that Jeoffrey and Tommen are not Robert's heirs so the wall is a pretty good place for the king's bastard.

Thoughts?   

In the books, Cersei never had a child with Robert. She was pregnant by him once, but had Jaime find a woman who removed the child.

Only the show makes mention of a child Cersei had with Robert, but in the books, that child was never born, but instead aborted.

Nor would the timeline work out here. Jon was born in 283 AC, Cersei married Robert only in 284 AC, and her marriage to Robert was only negotiated after the war had ended.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup,in the books Cersei made sure that she will not ever carry Robert's child. After that one abortion she "pleased" the king in ways that would not lead to a pregnancy.

Besides, even "Maggy the frog" told her in her prophecy that she and Robert won't have any children together:

Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you....

Archived