Who will get the Dreadfort?

chrisdaw

Something the show might spoil us on, so let's have a go at it before hand.

Eventually Jon is going to fuck Ramsay up. Didn't need the show to see that coming. His nemesis bastard in the North sitting in WF. Ramsay's gutter brawny fighting style against Jon's honourable highborn taught Valyrian sword. Ramsay's dogs for Ghost. And finally that letter pitting them as enemies and hyping the fight.

Jon will obviously win, and then House Bolton will be done with. So, who will Jon then bestow the Dreadfort upon? There's likely some hint in the text somewhere.

Doesn't it depend if he takes on House Bolton as such or just Ramsay? Roose might be quite pleased to see Ramsay dead, as it will make things safer for his potentially sane child to be. 

Isnt Roose's wife pregnant? The child is innocent and by rights should get the Dreadfort. Or it could be awarded to any other loyal bannerman's spare heirs - A Manderly or an Umber or maybe even a Skagosi Lord who might have kept Rickon safe. 

38 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Jon will obviously win, and then House Bolton will be done with. So, who will Jon then bestow the Dreadfort upon?

I would hope he doesn't win in a fight vs vs my bet is Ramsay. As for house Bolton as a huge fan of theirs i want em to live...

Also if done this way doesn't it i don't know somehow messes Jon i mean he was some dull guy(read long time ago dont remember most of it) before he got killed that everybody liked then let's kill him and bring him back but now he will be different. I mean comes like cheating why dont we have Jaime's hand grow back if we are at it...  Or Tywin resurrected in the crypts of casterly rock. hehe

Even if Bolton's child is innocent, it's safe to say that the Boltons have betrayed too many people to keep their position. The child might be given a new name and raised as the Northern equivalent of a knight or if it's a girl, she'll get a modest dowry, but they won't be a Bolton nor will they inherit the Dreadfort.

If anything, the Starks should tear the Dreadfort down and divide the land amongst two or three bannermen or even a couple wildlings who help out in the fight.

I don't think the Bolton's are descendants of an Other. If anyone, than it is the Stark's.
it would be really GRRMish. 
1) The "evil" Others are connected to the "good" Starks. That is the reason the Starks become kings, and rulers of the North, because they could do some magic. It explain why could Brandon the Builder built a wall FROM ice, with ICE MAGIC.
2) The Boltons are "simple" humans. No magic, no warging, nothing. They stand opposed to the "alien" power, that is that Starks. Their actions are  evil (now) because HUMANS can be evil!!! One can say really evil is only in human nature. This massage sounds more Martinish than the LOTRish evil creatures are evil, humans are heros fantasy theme. You are not good or bad because of your ancestors, but because of your own actions.

3) The Starks had a sword named Ice BEFORE the valiryan steel sword of Ned Stark. There is a theory on that, if this old sword was made OF ice, like the Other's ice-blade. Hence the name.

Well, if fat Walda gives birth to a girl it makes things quite simple.

Give the Dreadfort to a loyal northman, let him foster the child and then marry to his heir to cement the new family´s legal hold on the fort.

If it´s a boy. Well, then kill him. Don´t worry too much about Frey retribution in the north ... they will not last long in the Riverlands anyhow. Make sure his face is recognisable (the Boltons have stayed in power for a loooong time, so they must have loyalty around the fort), no Aegon that way.

Then marry the next heir to the Dreadfort to the closest available woman of kin to Roose.

1 hour ago, Bastetcat said:

I don't think the Bolton's are descendants of an Other. If anyone, than it is the Stark's.
it would be really GRRMish. 
1) The "evil" Others are connected to the "good" Starks. That is the reason the Starks become kings, and rulers of the North, because they could do some magic. It explain why could Brandon the Builder built a wall FROM ice, with ICE MAGIC.
2) The Boltons are "simple" humans. No magic, no warging, nothing. They stand opposed to the "alien" power, that is that Starks. Their actions are  evil (now) because HUMANS can be evil!!! One can say really evil is only in human nature. This massage sounds more Martinish than the LOTRish evil creatures are evil, humans are heros fantasy theme. You are not good or bad because of your ancestors, but because of your own actions.

3) The Starks had a sword named Ice BEFORE the valiryan steel sword of Ned Stark. There is a theory on that, if this old sword was made OF ice, like the Other's ice-blade. Hence the name.

Could be though that the Night's King was a Bolton. And there is the small detail about Roose's eyes. I'm not saying it's definitive but it's a fun theory.

A lot is unknown still about who exactly built the Wall. Brandon the Builder is credited for it, but there is still a lot of mystery around it. 

I say though that Boltons should be exterminated and their names wiped from history books in Oldtown. They are scum.

1 minute ago, dread wolf said:

roose and ramsay are going to die

fat walda even though she is decent she's a frey.

i can see the dreadfort go to the hornwoods bcos donella suffered under the hands of ramsay so as compensation jon might give to them

Which Hornwoods? The whole reason the Hornwood situation happened was because of a lack of heirs.

Just now, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Which Hornwoods? The whole reason the Hornwood situation happened was because of a lack of heirs.

i think there is a hornwood bastard ( Lonnel snow)

if not the wife of some talhart is a hornwood,her kids might take the hornwood lands as well as the dreadfort

1 hour ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

Could be though that the Night's King was a Bolton. And there is the small detail about Roose's eyes. I'm not saying it's definitive but it's a fun theory.

A lot is unknown still about who exactly built the Wall. Brandon the Builder is credited for it, but there is still a lot of mystery around it.

I say though that Boltons should be exterminated and their names wiped from history books in Oldtown. They are scum.

Old Nan said the Night's King was a Stark. I believe it to be the truth. There is no family, whose members are only good, and only bad over the years. Totally understandable for some (or for a lot) to be less than good.

Also, it is specifically mentioned, that the Starks bury their dead under Winterfell, into named tombs. So there has to be a tomb down there which name has been wiped (out? how do you say it correctly?). That will be the Night's King's tomb.I think this is the reason Nan is sure of the NK's identity. The Starks crypts are a written history.
And I agree with you, the Bolton's has to lose the Dreadfort. However the "wiped out of history" idea is not so good in my opinion. You can only learn from mistakes you or someone else did before you. If you say something bad didn't happened, you only open the possibility for it to be repeated again, because no one can learn from that in the future. That is why "the Rains of Castemere" is so often mentioned, for everyone to remember what happens to those who oppose the Lannisters. If no one remembers, no one would be afraid.

So I want the Bolton's to lose, but I don't want their sin's to be forgotten. I assumed the Dreadfort would be the wildling's. Turmond, or someone else. They has to live somewhere, and the Gift is not the ideal place for so many people. (And if anyone else got it, for ec. Manderly, it means to much power in one hand.)

5 hours ago, Barty said:

Isnt Roose's wife pregnant? The child is innocent and by rights should get the Dreadfort. Or it could be awarded to any other loyal bannerman's spare heirs - A Manderly or an Umber or maybe even a Skagosi Lord who might have kept Rickon safe. 

A good candidate, but like the Boltons the Freys are going to do it tough in the near future, making it through to childbirth will be a good accomplishment. If she does whelp a girl though it gives Jon the option of betrothing her off to someone else's child. If he has a son, and Jon is inclined to abide by the laws of succession, which I think he probably would even in this case, then it's settled here, he just needs a caretaker.

1 hour ago, dread wolf said:

roose and ramsay are going to die

fat walda even though she is decent she's a frey.

i can see the dreadfort go to the hornwoods bcos donella suffered under the hands of ramsay so as compensation jon might give to them

Ahhhhh excellent, that whole Hornwood situation may have been a precursor to this very dilemma, possibly Jon may have the same candidates as were putting their hands up in that situation. Jon is not going to stand by and idly let the situation solve itself though as was the case then with dire consequences.

On March 31, 2016 at 3:28 AM, chrisdaw said:

Something the show might spoil us on, so let's have a go at it before hand.

Eventually Jon is going to fuck Ramsay up. Didn't need the show to see that coming. His nemesis bastard in the North sitting in WF. Ramsay's gutter brawny fighting style against Jon's honourable highborn taught Valyrian sword. Ramsay's dogs for Ghost. And finally that letter pitting them as enemies and hyping the fight.

Jon will obviously win, and then House Bolton will be done with. So, who will Jon then bestow the Dreadfort upon? There's likely some hint in the text somewhere.

I believe Jon will give the Dreadfort to Tormund Giantsbane. This builds upon Jon's relationship with the wildlings. I don't think it's farfetched as he has already given Karhold to the Thenns.

4 minutes ago, IsleOfFaces said:

I believe Jon will give the Dreadfort to Tormund Giantsbane. This builds upon Jon's relationship with the wildlings. I don't think it's farfetched as he has already given Karhold to the Thenns.

He hasnt given the Karhold to the Thenns. First of all he does not have the power to strip Karhold from the Karstarks and secondly Harrion is still alive and Lord of Karhold.  All he has done is marry Alys to a Thenn. Even should Harrion die Alys would rule as Lady Karstark, her children would likely to take her name.

As for Jon giving the Dreadfort to the Wildlings, I would not put it past him though it would be an incredibly stupid decision which would only alienate the Dreadfort people and the other Lords of the North.

Archived