Is it profitable ?

RUSSELL BELL

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2016 at 6:40 AM, mattnj81 said:

This question makes me miss Deadwood :(

That was mostly showrunner David Milch's fault, when he got finished with season 2 he occupied himself with other projects , season 3 got made but suffered from neglect. He was going to wind up the story with two movies, and even revived that recently but so far nothing.

I miss ROME more. HBO has the option on I, Claudius , the BBC hit that one out of the park many years ago , A not stage-bound version of that would great!

GOT is covering costs of making easy

only first season made so far over $ 100 millions  in dvd/bray sales, other 4 are in the range $35-$50 milions and that is only in USA..... no other show has ever made that kind of money just trough dvd/BR sales

if you add HBO subscriptions (from alll over world),sold tv rights to TVstations again from all over world (they stopped that after 3rd season focusing to push local HBO sells) and know HBO-GO buys,plus all the GOT merchandise ( people do buy a lot of that stuff)

just amount of exposure HBO gets from GOT is worth every $ put in it (just chuck it of as promoting costs,every time GOT is mentioned on net/tv/papers is free HBO add , that kind of commercial would be impossible to pay ...

GOT is the most profitable thing ever from HBO, and HBO already was making insane amount of money before GOT.

11 hours ago, melx said:

GOT is covering costs of making easy

only first season made so far over $ 100 millions  in dvd/bray sales, other 4 are in the range $35-$50 milions and that is only in USA..... no other show has ever made that kind of money just trough dvd/BR sales

if you add HBO subscriptions (from alll over world),sold tv rights to TVstations again from all over world (they stopped that after 3rd season focusing to push local HBO sells) and know HBO-GO buys,plus all the GOT merchandise ( people do buy a lot of that stuff)

just amount of exposure HBO gets from GOT is worth every $ put in it (just chuck it of as promoting costs,every time GOT is mentioned on net/tv/papers is free HBO add , that kind of commercial would be impossible to pay ...

GOT is the most profitable thing ever from HBO, and HBO already was making insane amount of money before GOT.

I wonder what HBO makes off merchandising? Disney has made a killing , still makes a killing off that. I don't know , I don't remember seeing merchandising for an HBO show before.

On June 2, 2016 at 6:40 AM, mattnj81 said:

This question makes me miss Deadwood :(

...And Rome.  The problem with Rome is that, being such an expensive show, the floor beneath which it is no longer profitable is very high.  Shows like Rome and Deadwood didn't quite make it.  Also, the 3rd season of Deadwood was a a bit all over the place.

I was watching an interview with the creator of The Wire and they were talking about the renewed popularity of the show.  He suggests that one reason for it is the internet and the ability to stream video on demand, etc.  That option wasn't really available when the show first aired and not being able to do that makes a highly serialized show like the Wire (or GOT for that matter) very difficult to follow and really impossible to just get into mid stream.

On July 4, 2016 at 4:10 AM, boojam said:

I wonder what HBO makes off merchandising? Disney has made a killing , still makes a killing off that. I don't know , I don't remember seeing merchandising for an HBO show before.

HBO has a ton of merch on their website now.  

In the most extreme cases, (e.g. Star wars) you could probably give tickets away for free and the thing will still make a lot of money.  As was mentioned before, DVD/Blu ray, digital rentals, commercial TV rights all add up as well.  This is especially important for feature films.  Box office runs are finite and the money gets split up a lot.  All that other stuff generates cash for years.  That's how blade runner was able to ultimately make money (people forget it was a box office flop when it was released).

33 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

...And Rome.  The problem with Rome is that, being such an expensive show, the floor beneath which it is no longer profitable is very high.  Shows like Rome and Deadwood didn't quite make it.  Also, the 3rd season of Deadwood was a a bit all over the place.

I was watching an interview with the creator of The Wire and they were talking about the renewed popularity of the show.  He suggests that one reason for it is the internet and the ability to stream video on demand, etc.  That option wasn't really available when the show first aired and not being able to do that makes a highly serialized show like the Wire (or GOT for that matter) very difficult to follow and really impossible to just get into mid stream.

HBO has a ton of merch on their website now.  

In the most extreme cases, (e.g. Star wars) you could probably give tickets away for free and the thing will still make a lot of money.  As was mentioned before, DVD/Blu ray, digital rentals, commercial TV rights all add up as well.  This is especially important for feature films.  Box office runs are finite and the money gets split up a lot.  All that other stuff generates cash for years.  That's how blade runner was able to ultimately make money (people forget it was a box office flop when it was released).

The story goes that HBO was surprised at ROME'S DVD sales and way back then said they regretted not doing another season.

Mel Brooks had a lot of fun with Star Wars merchandising. Sometimes I think Disney might not even have to make movies to rake it in.

13 minutes ago, boojam said:

The story goes that HBO was surprised at ROME'S DVD sales and way back then said they regretted not doing another season.

Mel Brooks had a lot of fun with Star Wars merchandising. Sometimes I think Disney might not even have to make movies to rake it in.

That... is extremely depressing.  The original concept for the series was epic. It would have carried the story forward to the dawn of Christianity. 

I've heard a few people suggest that HBO should try adapting I Claudius.  Id love to see them do it. The original is great but it feels too compressed.  You could do 20 or 30 episodes with that story easily.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That... is extremely depressing.  The original concept for the series was epic. It would have carried the story forward to the dawn of Christianity. 

I've heard a few people suggest that HBO should try adapting I Claudius.  Id love to see them do it. The original is great but it feels too compressed.  You could do 20 or 30 episodes with that story easily.

HBO owns the option on I Claudius , with a great cast they could do a Non-Stage Bound version of the BBC teleplays , I think it would be a hit!

up to date (may 2016) GOT DVD & BR earnings

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season $114,046,788

Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season $48,491,145

Game of Thrones: The Complete Fifth Season $12,906,933 ..(only 7 weeks since hitting the stores)

after GOT the best selling shows are The Walking Dead Season 4 & Downton Abbey: Season 3 both made around $22/23 mil( but DA is very expensive for example Downton Abbey: Season 6 has   612,508copies sold for $14,598,915 while GOT sold  717,328 copies for $12,906,933.....)

HBO will cry a Narrow Sea sized river of tears when GoT ends in two years because they'll be lucky if they ever rake in the same kind of revenue from anything as they have this. It's why you can guarantee they'll work hard to ensure the 'Westerosverse' on TV continues in some form.

On July 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM, melx said:

up to date (may 2016) GOT DVD & BR earnings

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season $114,046,788

Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season $48,491,145

Game of Thrones: The Complete Fifth Season $12,906,933 ..(only 7 weeks since hitting the stores)

after GOT the best selling shows are The Walking Dead Season 4 & Downton Abbey: Season 3 both made around $22/23 mil( but DA is very expensive for example Downton Abbey: Season 6 has   612,508copies sold for $14,598,915 while GOT sold  717,328 copies for $12,906,933.....)

What's the source for this?  Is this US sales or world wide?

On 7/15/2016 at 11:43 AM, Ser Tony Black said:

HBO will cry a Narrow Sea sized river of tears when GoT ends in two years because they'll be lucky if they ever rake in the same kind of revenue from anything as they have this. It's why you can guarantee they'll work hard to ensure the 'Westerosverse' on TV continues in some form.

It is intriguing , HBO had a big bust with Vinyl , and Westworld has had a very bumpy ride  , it should have aired around the end of 2015.

If Westworld craters HBO is hurting.

16 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

So presumably the world wide figures are much higher. 

So yeah, I'd say it's profitable.

In six years the international figure for DVD sales has never been revealed , but then , as far as I know international viewing number is still unknown , except for a few UK and a few European ones, and those we have not seen since the early days.

There is also merchandising , I don't remember seeing a number for that ever, and that's picked on in recent years.

The bottom line is this - if the show was not making profit (and considerable profit at that, considering the amount of money it costs to make GoT), they wouldn't continue to make it.  That's all there is to it, really.

Game of Thrones is HBO's biggest show.....ever. They are having no problem racking in the money, which is exactly why the budget has increased per episode.

I think the real question here is what the hell are HBO gonna do when the show ends with its 8th season? No way they just stop delving into this world, its too profitable just to end it there. I highly doubt the 8th and final season of GoT will be it. I smell prequels and spin offs in the near future. I'm just surprised no big time video game company aside from Telltale has tried to make a video game set in this world yet.

21 hours ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Game of Thrones is HBO's biggest show.....ever. They are having no problem racking in the money, which is exactly why the budget has increased per episode.

I think the real question here is what the hell are HBO gonna do when the show ends with its 8th season? No way they just stop delving into this world, its too profitable just to end it there. I highly doubt the 8th and final season of GoT will be it. I smell prequels and spin offs in the near future. I'm just surprised no big time video game company aside from Telltale has tried to make a video game set in this world yet.

Have to see how Westworld does on HBO , but from what has gone on with that I have my doubts, in any case cannot see it doing this well.

One thing, Time-Warner owns HBO and I am sure Warner is always looking for possible movies , would not be surprised to see Warner dip into the Song of Ice and Fire universe for film material.

And of course HBO may have to spin off related mini series, series? HBO does not seem to have anything on the horizon that is as profitable.

Archived