Anniversery of the 1916 Irish Easter Uprising

Ser Scot A Ellison

A bunch of incompetent crazies who were turned into martyrs by a cruel and idiotic response from Britain?

That's not to say that Irish independence wouldn't have come along at some point anyway. Once Home Rule's granted, it's near inevitable that (1) you'd have had the "independence or bust" types winning an election at some point, and (2) the North is going apeshit. And Home Rule was inevitable, simply because of the balance of power at Westminster and the 1910 neutering of the House of Lords.  

General Maxwell fucked up. Take no prisoners was idiotic.

those involved in the Rising had v little popular support. Being martyred led to an upsurge in popularity and sinn Fein Mark 1 (not to be confused with today's lot) gained in 1918 votes.

The actual commemoration was dignified and appropriate I thought. (I had no idea we had so many members of the Defense forces).

I am somewhat tempted to simply say.

Tiocfaidh ár lá.

I kinda like(d) Michael Collins. He was an interesting character imo. But I have no idea, how much of his myth is glorification.

I have probably upset enough people with this post already, so I won't post Irish Rebel songs. 

Archived