What do you think Sansa's role is going to be in the last few books?

Demonking1381

Throughout the entire series, Sansa seems to have been the least important pov character since she really hasn't done much and just reacts to things going on around her. I'm asking people what they think her purpose is going to be in the last two books since she really hasn't done that much yet.

Do you remember Chekhov gun? Well, Sansa is just like that. She may look unimportant, but there is no doubt that Martin is moving this particular character towards something. His entire idea for ASOIAF is cross-generational saga with kids growing up and Sansa fits that model perfectly. I always say if she is that unimportant as the character, she could have been killed long time ago. It is not like she is particular window to anything. She is not like Dany or Jon, who are the only POVs at certain location (though, she is now). Whatever Sansa's role may be, and I do believe it is LF's downfall among others, she won't be useless. Simply, no writer writes THAT MUCH about an unimportant character.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

Do you remember Chekhov gun? Well, Sansa is just like that. She may look unimportant, but there is no doubt that Martin is moving this particular character towards something. His entire idea for ASOIAF is cross-generational saga with kids growing up and Sansa fits that model perfectly. I always say if she is that unimportant as the character, she could have been killed long time ago. It is not like she is particular window to anything. She is not like Dany or Jon, who are the only POVs at certain location (though, she is now). Whatever Sansa's role may be, and I do believe it is LF's downfall among others, she won't be useless. Simply, no writer writes THAT MUCH about an unimportant character.

I completely agree.

I still think, at it's core, this series is about the Stark kids and their transition in the world.  I have little doubt in my mind that Sansa is going to wind up killing LF (how and under what circumstances remain a question mark though).  GRRM has spent WAY too much time molding Sansa from a niave little princess with thoughts of princes and marriage and slowly into a cunning, world-hardened young lady with her own agenda.

I do find Sansa's ending to all this to be the hardest to predict, however.  I do think she'll kill LF, but what then?  What is her final story arc?  It's difficult to nail down.  I do, however, have a sneaky suspicion that she will wind up staying with Tyrion.  Kind of the "Beauty and the Beast" syndrome of sorts (and we all know GRRM's history with Beauty and the Beast).

I also find that people have the right idea or assumption that Sansa will lead to Petyr's downfall, and that it will happen sometime in TWoW. 

As far as it goes though for what Sansa's role will end up becoming, I think that we have seen some foreshadowing done with her through the interactions that Sansa and Sweetrobin have. Most often I see this dynamic between Sansa and Sweetrobin interpreted as manipulative, and the future events between the two as being malicious(i.e. the theories that she will unwittingly poison Sweetrobin and cause his death.) In my eyes though, I've always thought that she has been nurturing if a little stern with Sweetrobin, and I believe that the inevitable adverse effects of overdosing SR on sweetsleep is setting up a scenario to Sansa finally drawing the line and saying enough to Littlefinger. I have interpreted the story so far as setting her up to become a matriarch with political smarts because her empathetic nature is something that has not been lost on her character even after enduring the hardships and disillusionment. The perfect example of the matriarch type I see her becoming is like what we see Olenna as being with the Tyrell family; Lord Puff Fish may be the face of the Tyrell family and force, but I believe the majority of political finesse and ambition of the Tyrell family stems from Olenna's actions/advisement.

I believe we will see Sansa play this sort of role with re-establishing the Stark family as well, (this part may be a wishful thinking moment, but I want to see her reunited with Rickon and Arya and a conjoined effort to restore their family. But there is really no telling if there will be anything left to rebuild after The Others.)

Sansa has always been a kind of link, a translator to us readers, she has seen and heard a lot, she has been present at important events. But in most cases she did not understand let alone analyse the informations she got served. Martin had her there as eyes and ears but she was not supposed to understand and to draw the right conclusions, the author had no intention to spoonfeeding his readers, we are supposed to realize hints and to put loose ends together by ourselves, without getting told. Sansa has to be clueless here, she has to leave the thinking to us readers who link the dots.

But Martin gave her some of the most beautifully written lines or even chapters in the books: "My skin has turned to porcelaine....", the Tyrion/Sansa wedding night, snow castle, meaning that she will become more than a narrative tool. She will be more than the one to contrast with Arya, to emphazise Arya's qualities.

i have no idea if she is meant to become dark and evil or if she might do some heroic deed to save the world. She might do that deed even without knowing what she does, the butterfly who bats its wings......as opposed to causing Ned's downfall in her cluelessness. She might do the big heroic sacrifice, cleverly executed and fully aware of what she does. Or she might even become a truly interesting antagonist. I do not care very much about re-establishing the Stark family since characters are interesting to me as indviduals with a story, not as members of this or that House. In my eyes belonging to a certain House or family is no more than an individual trait among others in a character.

But Chekhov's gun is a perfect description here: her character is waiting for something big. (not difficult to guess since the show has so much enlarged her role)

If the scene of her building the Winterfell snow castle in the Eyrie is any indication, it will be her mind that allows the rebuilding/reconstruction of the real Winterfell once things settle down.

That scene was very poignent to me and I can't help but feel it was meant as foreshadowing.

Assuming just this one thing is true, that also would mean:

1. Sansa is alive

2. Sansa is in the North, at Winterfell.

3. Sansa still has the faculty of mind to organize a rebuilding of this nature.

4. Sansa is in a position of power or, less likely, controlled by someone that is.

5. The North is in some state of peace to allow for prolonged construction

6. Winter will be over (construction of this magnitude is unlikely to start in over-my-head levels of snow)

Thoughts? Anybody agree or disagree? If this foreshadowing is true, what other factual things might we infer surrounding the event of Sansa rebuilding Winterfell?

Yeah, in my opinion, this story is about Stark kids "growing up" and each having a large role in the upcoming newly formed government of Westeros. 

Arya, Sansa and Jon are all connected to Harrenhal, while Bran is connected to Isle of Faces and God's Eye. This will be the place for their "new Winterfell", It will become the new capital and place of government of post-apocalyptic Westeros.

Sansa will play a huge role of sewing the realm back together after the catastrophe. She resembles Queen Elizabeth to me, which is the reason why I think she will stay virgin and never have kids. I think she will stay married to Tyrion and use their marriage as means to fend off potential suitors as well as to keep the Imp close who will be a part of the government and manage the realm's finances and implement huge reforms given his character. I am pretty sure she will be a big manipulator in her relationship with Tyrion who is a sucker to women showing even an ounce of interest to him. She will make sure Tyrion remains loyal to Stark regime.

Also Sansa has many associations with birds and she is being tutored by master manipulator "mockingbird" Baelish. Her skinchanging abilities are yet to surface, but I think eventually she will use her "little birds" to spy on people and keep things in check. Her and Arya will run the ship tight and eliminate any potential threats to the newly established order.

The lone wolf dies but the pack survives. Whenever she reunites with Arya, Jon and Bran, Starks will triumph over everyone and win the game of thrones.

She'll probably get rid of Littlefinger a position of influence in the Vale. If she becomes some sort of Queen then die shortly after. Any character that gains immense political power usually dies. The ones who survive are the people who stay in the shadows. The only exception I can think of this rule is Dany and that's mainly because she's isolated in Essos currently. Characters that fit this rule include Ned (became Hand), Robb (became King), Renly (became King), Joffrey (became King), Balon (became King), Tywin (became Hand), Kevan (became Hand), and Jon (became Lord Commander). 

Sansa's story is one of going from being someone who has stuff done to her to one who gets stuff done; a power in her own right.  I think she will slowly accumulate influence in the Vale, and use it to eliminate Littlefinger once she realizes the sort of person he really is.  Once she realizes him as a threat and the destroyer of her family, he is a goner.

Ultimately, I think her story is in the North.  It could be feeding the people there, or possibly rallying support for the fight against the Others, or something else entirely.  I also agree with @Mathias that her building a model of Winterfell is important foreshadowing of her future story.  It shows her reasserting her Northern heritage, and possibly more.  I expect her to be in a position of significant power in her own right by the end of the series.

She brought her dad to Kingslanding, awakened him to joffs bastardry, was a cornerstone in Joffs death, and Lysas. Sansa has done much already.

Since her brothers and sister are straying to the dark side, and Cersei and Petyrs lessons in mind, I'd say Sansa becomes an immensely powerful feudal warlord, and the younger and more beautiful queen to defeat Cersei.

She is to be the master player of the game of thrones, in the south, in KL. She will be queen of Westeros.

Her central conflict is two-fold, Stark or Lannister, the way of honour and duty or power and avarice. And self determination, deciding what she wants, who she wants to be, rather than running on the rails of others and when free of them running on the rails of what she has been taught and what they made her.

I think she will be Littlefinger's downfall, most likely in TWOW. She's clearly catching on to his scheming and will take advantage of his advances on her, and either kill him or expose him for his misdeeds.

Ultimately, I think she will end the series as the Lady of Winterfell. I think Jon is obviously destined for greater things and possibly death, Arya I think will die, Bran will be north of The Wall and Rickon,  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  There are a good amount of relationships/shipping done with Sansa, and while I can see some of these happening, I think a very possible path for her, would be to remain single. She has heard stories and fairytales her entire life and has seen that the world is a cruel place, leading her from wanting to move South and take place in stories and find her White Knight to wanting isolate herself in the North away from the Southern ambitions and scheming. 

I see Sansa being LF down fall I guess, but I have no idea if she going to live long ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Bran I see staying up North in a la M.I.A to everyone else, Arya I really can't see her getting a happy ending like living long so her dying I see, Rickon im pretty sure is going to end up being Lord of Winterfell.

I think a better question is do you think the Boltons are going extinct ?

On 4/1/2016 at 1:01 AM, Risto said:

Do you remember Chekhov gun? Well, Sansa is just like that.

She also is still in possession of 'Chekhov' hairnet with the poison beads on it, courtesy of LF.  Perhaps she'll have a chance to use it on LF himself.

On 4/1/2016 at 3:28 AM, Creepy Doll said:

In my eyes though, I've always thought that she has been nurturing if a little stern with Sweetrobin, and I believe that the inevitable adverse effects of overdosing SR on sweetsleep is setting up a scenario to Sansa finally drawing the line and saying enough to Littlefinger.

I don't see Sansa killing SR either, he's her kin, even if he doesn't know it now.  She and Sandor will also meet again.  Her story will move north and she'll be back in WF.

17 hours ago, Mathias said:

If the scene of her building the Winterfell snow castle in the Eyrie is any indication, it will be her mind that allows the rebuilding/reconstruction of the real Winterfell once things settle down.

That scene was very poignent to me and I can't help but feel it was meant as foreshadowing.

Assuming just this one thing is true, that also would mean:

Thoughts? Anybody agree or disagree? If this foreshadowing is true, what other factual things might we infer surrounding the event of Sansa rebuilding Winterfell?

I think the scene could be equally symbolic of other things that would point more toward her not returning to Winterfell - at least not in a finished state capacity - and staying long-term in the Vale. 

1) Winterfell was not about the height of the towers or the sum of the parts. Rebuilding Winterfell without her family there, leaves her cold. You might as well use snow for stone.

2) Home is where the heart is. If she's happy, if she's with people she cares for, she can build "Winterfell" anywhere.

If you have any conviction towards the final arc being a strong-Sansa leading a weaker husband and running a strong family (Queen of Thorns style) then that scenario only works outside of Winterfell. She will not be a matriarch in the North, she will be a sister of a Stark of Winterfell.

Archived