How safe is Highgarden?

Highgarden seems like a lovely place by all accounts. It reminds me of some magificent French castle in Provence/Loire valley.

Would it be a good place to "hide out" and stay safe from the ravages of war? True, there are ironborn outside its walls, but how talented are the IB at taking castles? They raid villages mostly!

Idk.. just seems like a lovely place to be.. and well defended

I'd have to review that section in the worldbook again, don't have it here with me atm... but if memory serves I think it's one of the more formidable castles in Westeros, don't think it's ever been taken going back to the Gardener's.

I think Highgarden will be sacked twice in the story: first time by Dornishmen, which is foreshadowed in TWOIAF book, where Willas Tyrell will be killed; second time it will be burned by Dany's dragon because whoever holds it supports Aegon (my best guess will be Randyll Tarly who becomes Aegon's new Lord Paramount of the Reach).

Highgarden seem like a fairly formidable castle. Not amongst the Top 5 maybe, But definitly defensible. I believe it will be under threat though (but not neccesarily sacked) from both Euron's forces and Aegon's forces. The Reach will become embroiled in a three-way fight and Highgarden will become an important part of it.

1 hour ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I also think it will be sacked.  The Tyrells have to be taken down a notch, they are way too powerful.  The Dornish host in the Princes Pass is a good bet.

I think so too. Arianne's connection to Willas Tyrell might play some role in this story, which will end up in deception.

The Dornish were able to sack it once centuries before the main series, but if memory serves there was a lot of chaos in the Reach at that time.

It seems like a strong castle, but it's beauty is mentioned more in the series than its military capabilities. Probably on the lower end of Great House homes, maybe ranking above only Sunspear. 

It has three series of walls, a defensive briar maze, and stands on a hill with a perfect view of the surrounding area. I imagine the Tyrells have a lot of food stored in their vaults, and I'm sure they have at least as many soldiers are necessary to defend it.

All in all, a formidable castle roughly equal to Sunspear or Winterfell, although probably not in the same league as Casterly Rock or the Eyrie.

I'm one of those who thinks Highgarden is going to be relatively untouched. The Tyrells are going to take a loss pretty soon...but I think it will be in open battle not a siege. Aegon, GC, and JonCon have been too hyped for the likes of Mace/Randyll who are about to get "Worfed"

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do think Highgarden was sacked once or twice before in the past mentioned in the world book so I think there's a chance. 

No matter how much the Tyrells bore me or I hate Loras I still don't want their home to be sacked.  

3 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do think Highgarden was sacked once or twice before in the past mentioned in the world book so I think there's a chance. 

No matter how much the Tyrells bore me or I hate Loras I still don't want their home to be sacked.  

Yes, by Dornishmen. And we know that there are two Dornish armies in the Prince's Pass and Boneway, awaiting Arianne's message.

I believe once Aegon, Jon Connington and Golden Company defeat the Tyrell army marching on them from King's Landing (most likely led by Randyll Tarly who will turn his cloak and throw his support for young dragon) they will impress Arianne who will send "DRAGON" to Dornishmen. In my opinion, Dornish army in Boneway will march north to join Aegon's host.

Arianne and Willas Tyrell have some history and almost got married if not for Oberyn. I think Jon Connington, who is becoming new Tywin-like character, will devise a plan where Arianne and Dornish army from Prince's Pass will arrive in Highgarden under pre-text of helping House Tyrell against ironborn and Aegon and discussing a possible Willas-Arianne marriage to seal this alliance.

But of course, once inside Highgarden, Dornish army will sack the castle. 

Archived