GRRM unintenionally reveal Daenerys has no chance?

WenchofTarth

I see much wild speculation on this forum and I always marvel at the theories that people can imagine so i figure I might as well dip a toe in.  I am sure to be reading too much in this offhand comment that GRRM made in an appearance sometime back be he mentioned that English history is filled with "Henrys and Edwards" and that people with other names just don't make it.  That being said i have to wonder if this might be also him saying that Daenerys is a Eustace and therefore doomed to fail.  Meanwhile his nephew (or "nephew"? whatevs) Aegon is certainly the Targaryen version of a Henry. 

So should we expect at the end of this series to witness the crowning of King Henry... Aegon VI?

2 minutes ago, WenchofTarth said:

I see much wild speculation on this forum and I always marvel at the theories that people can imagine so i figure I might as well dip a toe in.  I am sure to be reading too much in this offhand comment that GRRM made in an appearance sometime back be he mentioned that English history is filled with "Henrys and Edwards" and that people with other names just don't make it.  That being said i have to wonder if this might be also him saying that Daenerys is a Eustace and therefore doomed to fail.  Meanwhile his nephew (or "nephew"? whatevs) Aegon is certainly the Targaryen version of a Henry. 

So should we expect at the end of this series to witness the crowning of King Henry... Aegon VI?

I wouldn't read too much into that. 

Bold - I would pretend he never said that. Most boys were named Henry or Edward, so the odds were in the name's favor.... Sometimes when he makes historical "points" I begin to cringe and want to gouge my eyes out. I won't say anymore about that....

Dany - I guess it depends on what you consider a failure? If by success you mean that she takes the throne? In that I think she ultimately fails. If by playing a role (for better or worse) in the outcome, in that she will succeed.

As far as Aegon...I am not certain that he gets out of the next book alive, not is it clear that he is a Targ.  

There are plenty of parallels between the Wars of the Roses, but I wouldn't necessarily use the major points as plot points for this series. 

9 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Not everyone named 'Aegon Targaryen' became king.

Well no but a significant portion of the series of kings have been named Aegon, this new one would be the sixth of his name, I'd say that if his name is any indication he has a good chance as he has the "kingly" name.

11 minutes ago, WenchofTarth said:

Well no but a significant portion of the series of kings have been named Aegon, this new one would be the sixth of his name, I'd say that if his name is any indication he has a good chance as he has the "kingly" name.

There is also the problem of his surname or house name.....Some have claimed rather convincingly that Aegon is not a Targ, so..

42 minutes ago, WenchofTarth said:

how many boys named Aegon were not crowned king, is what you should be comparing to.  Even among the Targaryens there were a lot. 

1 hour ago, WenchofTarth said:

It actually seems like the video says the opposite of what you're wondering. He mentions the Daenerys name in the same context of the Aegon name; there are a lot of famous ones and they tend to dominate Targaryen history. As for the speculation, no I would not expect the series to end with the crowning of Aegon VI. He may be crowned at some point (Dany's vision in the House of the Undying favors this), but that kind of sweeping romantic ending would be very out of place in this series and is likely to happen in Winds, well before the series ends.

I don't think it necessarily mean dany will die, I think it means that she's going to fail in some of her goals. Maybe she'll fail to protect the slaves she freed, maybe she won't be able to protect missandei who she's really fond of, maybe one of her dragons are going to be killed. Failing in this world does not mean you will instantly be killed, look at stannis he still has a small chance of winning the war if he can beat the boltons and rally the north.

I always imagine the political course of the war would be similar to war of the roses to some degree. Targaryens being house Lancaster and House York being Baratheon. And so following the same trend Targayens start out on top, get overthrown by Baratheons, then come back for a very short period but ultimately get destroyed by the baratheons for good.

So yeah I would have thought Dany would take kingslanding for a short time, but ultimately be defeated and killed.

But GOT made House baratheon extinct so . . .

30 minutes ago, Joy Hill said:

Gendry is rowing somewhere. . . 

But seriously, while I think Stannis and Shireen will be goners, there are Baratheon bastards (Edric Storm, Gentry. . .) who can continue the dynasty.

But they would need to be legitimized and it would be in no one's interested to do that. Stannis would have needed to legitimize them before he died.

Also right now GOT is only promoting house Lanister, Targaryen and Stark. House Baratheon is gone in D&D's universe.

10 hours ago, WenchofTarth said:

At the end? No. At the end, Aegon VI will be dead again. The fella came late to the party and he won't be staying until the end. But, he will become king for a moment, some time around the middle of Book 6 (the beginning of Book 7 at the latest).

11 hours ago, WenchofTarth said:

My guess is that GRRM used a dynastic kings name to give Aegon some street cred. As for Daenerys, she has already proclaimed herself queen of Westeros; in the Targaryen line she would be the first queen to rule. But ruling Westeros is not necessarily a sign of success.

The times, they are changing.

Westeros is about to get their first true Queen Regnant, so of course she's about to be a "new" name. She's not going to re-name herself a male name. ;)

Anyway, the "Daen-" female Targ names are pretty loaded, too; there have been Daenys the Dreamer, Daena the Defiant, and the first Daenerys, whose marriage led to Dorne joining the Seven Kingdoms.

As for Aegons who didn't make it very far, I count five: Prince Aegon 1.25 (son of Aenys I and Alyssa Velaryon, killed by Maegor), Prince Aegon 1.5 (son of Jaehaerys I and Alysanne, probably died in cradle), Prince Aegon 1.75 (son of Prince Baelon the Brave and Princess Alyssa, probably died in cradle), Aegon Blackfyre, the firstborn son of Daemon I Blackfyre, slain on the Redgrass Field, and finally Prince Aegon, the stillborn son of Aerys II and Rhaella.

Edit: And assuming that Rhaegar and Elia's real son truly died and this Aegon is an impostor, then it would make them automatically six.

So yeah, the name Aegon is no guarantee of success, just like a new name is no guarantee of failure. I agree though this alleged Aegon Targaryen will become the Lord of the Seven Kingdoms... albeit for a very short time.

Anyway, the most traditional Stark names appear to be Brandon and Benjen by far, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Rickon, Sansa, Arya, and possibly Jon have no chance of lordship.

7 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

Gendry is rowing somewhere. . . 

But seriously, while I think Stannis and Shireen will be goners, there are Baratheon bastards (Edric Storm, Gentry. . .) who can continue the dynasty.

Tommen and myrcella can continu the dynasty or the name atleest just not the bloodline

Archived