April 2016 Reads

Garett Hornwood

Surprised there wasn't a new thread, but here we go...

I'm still reading Nixonland by Rick Perlstein, this is a re-read in preparation for Perlstein's next book about the fall of Nixon and the rise of Reagan that came out last year.  I'm on vacation for the next week so I plan on getting this book finished.

So what are you reading?

After a few disappointing reads, I have gone back to an old faithful. Tearing gleefully through The Heroes, after doing the same in only a few days for Best Served Cold. I am also planning a summer-long trip back through the Dresden novels, as I missed the last two.

I finished The Emprire Ascendant by Kameron Hurley and ended up loving it. I had a hard time at first, didn't remember who half the characters were, but once I got my bearings I just wanted more. i couldn't believe the brutality of some scenes -and didn't see a few things coming, at all. Great read, but not an easy one.

I'm now reading Thicker than Water by Mike Carey.

I'm 2/3 of the way through Two Serpents Rise by Max Gladstone.  I really enjoyed the first book - Three Parts Dead - and I think this one is even better.  The protagonist is very interesting and the pseudo modern Incan Empire setting is delightful.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:30 PM, williamjm said:

I finished Daniel Abraham's The Spider's War. I thought it was a good conclusion to the series, although I'd probably rate the middle books of the series above it. The first half was maybe a bit slow because it was having to manoeuvre plot threads into place for the finale but I thought the finale itself did work well. I didn't anticipate all the plot developments, but those that I missed did make sense in retrospect.  

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:19 AM, Maia said:

Ditto on Daniel Abraham's "The Spider's War". Unlike most here, I didn't think that the first half was slow, and the book engaged me throughout. Really liked the paradigm shifts involved and Geder's plot-line was brilliant. Most of the conflicts set up by the series were resolved well. I  enjoyed the novel while reading it, but looking back, it is a bit too slight and neat, as others were saying. Still, it is nice for a series to conclude  in a largely satisfactory manner, taking some non-stereotypical paths to the denoyement and aknowledging some problems that epic fantasy likes to gloss over. Liked it.

Also read a couple of James S.A. Corey novellas - "Vital Abyss" and "The Churn". Loved the first one, as it offers some interesting new facets of the Protogene proto-molecule operation and behind-the-scene hints about the events in "Nemesis Games", as well as provides another window into societies of that world. I wonder how and if it stands alone though.   "The Churn" was interesting, but it's ending was very contrived, IMHO. I expected to love it, but didn't.

I'm with most people on The Spider's War, I found it a good but not great conclusion to the series, and I think the middle books were the best.  I did really enjoy the central conceit as to how the entire series was wrapped. 

I can't believe I keep forgetting to read Vital Abyss.  I've bumped it to the top of my kindle queue, so it's what I'll be reading next. 

Just finished Dawn on Wonder (The Wakening 1) by Jonathan Renshaw. Fun read, though it dragged a bit in the middle and in parts was certainly childish (though to be fair the main character for much of the book is a 12 year old so the childish parts are acceptable). I'll almost definitely pick up the sequel when it comes out (supposedly late this year).

3.5/5 - a good debut by a new author.

I just Black Wolves by Kate Elliot, which was excellent. I definitely recommend it. It's a sequel to her Crossroads trilogy, so it'd probably help to have read that but there are a lot of new characters so I don't think it's essential, but I have to say, while I enjoyed the previous books, this is a real step up.

I've also recently read the first three Jack Reacher books. I'd read a few of them years ago and I remember liking them in a action movie in a book light entertainment sort of way but I couldn't remember which ones I'd read so I decided just to start from the beginning. They are good in, as I said, a light read sort of fashion. I have to say reading them in order I'm not sure if they're not really about Jack Reacher homeless guy who's had a breakdown after losing pretty much everything which his life was built around rather than Jack Reacher wandering hero, maybe it's both.

I just finished a re-read of Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts.  This was one of my favourite books of all times and even though I last read it about 15 years ago, it did not disappoint.  Still awesome after all these years.

Now reading the second book in the Empire Trilogy, Servant of the Empire.

I could re-read any of the first 10 or so Feist books and get plenty of pulpy enjoyment out of them. The Empire trilogy was so fun as well. At the time, I was generally reading only Shannara, LotR, and GoT - it was fascinating to read a story with relatively little action vs all the intrigue and political stuff. Also, as a teenager, I got to experience my first leading female protagonist. Come to think of it, I bet I've never re-read them! I think you've added another to my list, Guinevere.

Still working my way through Best Served Cold, which I absolutely love. 

At the same time, I am reading Revelation by C.J Sansom. I adore this series and tear through these books so easily. 

On my train journey yesterday I also read the novelette(is this the right term?) The Terracotta Bride, by Zen Cho. Beautiful little story that I discovered quite by accident

On 3.4.2016 at 8:14 PM, Guinevere Seaworth said:

I just finished a re-read of Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts.  This was one of my favourite books of all times and even though I last read it about 15 years ago, it did not disappoint.  Still awesome after all these years.

Now reading the second book in the Empire Trilogy, Servant of the Empire.

I love the Empire Trilogy too, it is one of the examples of the whole being much more than the sum of it's parts. Not a fan of either author's separate work.  And, unfortunately, still one of the very few examples of speculative fiction  where the protagonist _really_ only relies on power of the mind/manipulation instead of jumping into action at some point, sigh. I also really appreciate the effortless handling of time-jumps, since so many authors (GRRM among them, cough) seem to get mired in trying to depict the minutiae of characters getting from A to B, both geographically and plot-wise.

So, here are my recent/current reads:

"The Buried Giant" by Kazuo Ishiguro - a beautifully written book, which I really enjoyed reading, but which left me somewhat unsatisfied in the end. It is a fantasy  set (of course!) between Saxon invasions in Britain. I really loved the complete arc of the protagonist couple and the set-up of the larger mystery. Unfortunately, the resolution of that last felt incredibly illogical and contrived, because it was shackled to the ostensible time period and the outcomes which are set in stone. And it seems that the author had some larger theme about human condition and history in mind, but whatever it is, it just didn't click with me.

Hm, the board is behaving oddly, so more later.

Finished Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis, a retelling of the Eros and Psyche myth. Good book, probably his best. Of course, since this is Lewis, you have the Christian apologia at the end but it certainly works much better in the context of this book then in Narnia. 

Before that I read Thunderer by Felix Gilman. I appreciated the craft put in it, but it left me a bit cold, if that makes sense. I wonder if it was on influence on City of Stairs

Now going to give The Dispossessed another shot. Hoping that the first time I just wasn't in the mood, because I love Le Guin and I really want to like what's considers one of her best books. We shall see. 

6 hours ago, UtherDoul said:

Before that I read Thunderer by Felix Gilman. I appreciated the craft put in it, but it left me a bit cold, if that makes sense. I wonder if it was on influence on City of Stairs

Interesting. "Thunderer" bored me and left me cold, but I loved "City of Stairs".

Anyway, more recent reads:

"The Red: First Light" by Linda Nagata. Enjoyable near-future MilSF, first book of a trilogy(?), which provides believable action, sets up a major mystery and poses some intriguing questions for the future. Will be reading the next 2 volumes.

3 novellas:

"Sleeping Dogs"  by Adam Troy-Castro. Mix of a spy thriller with (far future) SF, pretty interesting.    

"The Citadel of Weeping Pearls" by Alliette de Bodard. Loved it. Interstellar Empires based on Asian societies for a change, cold politics,  intriguing SF concepts, vivid characters and emotions - it really has it all.  Of all the novellas I have recently read, I like it best.

"The Last Witness" by K.J. Parker - this one isn't far behind, though. It is secondary world fantasy, about a man who can remove memories from people, but has to transfer them to himself (and has eidetic memory). He sells his services to people, which, of course results in hijinks. Very enjoyable.

So, now I am halfway through "Savages" by the same, set in the same world as above, but in it's pseudo-Constantinople. Enjoying it a lot so far. Here is to hoping that it doesn't follow history too closely, because it would be somewhat disappointing, IMHO.

I'm still on the Book Of The New Sun group reading project.  I've finished vol. 2 and about to start vol. 3.

As a break from that I read #10 in the Hornblower series of Napoleonic naval historical fiction - Lord Hornblower.  I thought this started well and then faded badly in the second half.  Still, the series is overall very enjoyable.  The prose and characters are a step below Aubrey & Maturin but the plot is generally more focused and requires fewer contrived reverses for both lead characters - Jack in prize money and Stephen in matters of the heart - to keep them motivated, sympathetic and ready for the next adventure.

I just started Ryan Kirk's Nightblade.  I don't recall who recommended it but it has been waiting on my Kindle for a while.  After a few chapters it seems to be a conventional fantasy about Jedi ninja in a cultural setting that is kind of medieval Japanese in tone without going full on into Japanese feudal social structure or culture.  Pretty bland so far but I'll see if it gets better.

Finished The Enemy by Charlie Higson, the first book in a series where everyone above 14 turns into a semi-zombie. Enjoyable enough but kind of simple, I'm still not sure if this is intended to be YA or not. In any case I'm not interested enough to continue the series.

Next is either The Book Thief or Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company.

2 hours ago, Maia said:

Interesting. "Thunderer" bored me and left me cold, but I loved "City of Stairs".

Anyway, more recent reads:

"The Red: First Light" by Linda Nagata. Enjoyable near-future MilSF, first book of a trilogy(?), which provides believable action, sets up a major mystery and poses some intriguing questions for the future. Will be reading the next 2 volumes.

3 novellas:

"Sleeping Dogs"  by Adam Troy-Castro. Mix of a spy thriller with (far future) SF, pretty interesting.    

"The Citadel of Weeping Pearls" by Alliette de Bodard. Loved it. Interstellar Empires based on Asian societies for a change, cold politics,  intriguing SF concepts, vivid characters and emotions - it really has it all.  Of all the novellas I have recently read, I like it best.

"The Last Witness" by K.J. Parker - this one isn't far behind, though. It is secondary world fantasy, about a man who can remove memories from people, but has to transfer them to himself (and has eidetic memory). He sells his services to people, which, of course results in hijinks. Very enjoyable.

So, now I am halfway through "Savages" by the same, set in the same world as above, but in it's pseudo-Constantinople. Enjoying it a lot so far. Here is to hoping that it doesn't follow history too closely, because it would be somewhat disappointing, IMHO.

Agree with you about The Last Witness. I dont read a lot of short fiction but enjoyed this a great deal. My first venture into KJ Parker territory actually, planning to read more by him at some stage.

I'll have to try Citadel of Weeping Pearls I think. When I read her House of Shattered Wings novel I thought it showed a lot of potential, especially in terms of the ideas/concepts and world it was set in, but didnt quite manage to pull it all together. But i definitely feel she is a talented author andd I'm interested to read more by her (I have read the short fiction set in that world so far btw). 

If you are looking for short fiction at the moment, Zen Cho recently (last month i think?) released a novelette called The Terracotta Bride, which was a quick read (about an hour max for me on the train) that i found intriguing. I preferred her debut novel from last year, but still felt this was very good. Interesting afterlife setting. Curious to read her other short fiction too now.

11 hours ago, UtherDoul said:

Before that I read Thunderer by Felix Gilman. I appreciated the craft put in it, but it left me a bit cold, if that makes sense. I wonder if it was on influence on City of Stairs.

I thought there was some fantastic world-building in Thunderer but I didn't find the overall plot or the characters to be all that compelling.

ETA - just finished Becky Chamber's The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet. I don't think the book was exactly what I expected it to be, but I did like it. The initial setup (new recruit joins the crew of a small spaceship) immediately made me think of the likes of Firefly, the Paradox trilogy or The Tales of the Ketty Jay, but I think this was a bit misleading because it's got a lot less action than any of those other series and while the crew may have their own secrets and eccentricities they're much more law-abiding than the rogues that make up most of the other crews. I wouldn't count this as being space opera, instead it is more of an interstellar travelogue with a big focus on the characterisation and in particular how different species of humans and aliens interact with each other. I liked the characters, it takes a while to really get to know them but I thought there were some great scenes in the second half of the book. If I had a criticism I'd say the plot maybe takes a bit too long to get going, but by the time of the finale it has becomes a compelling story. I'm definitely interested in seeing how the story develops in the sequel.

Next up I might read The Best of Ian McDonald, I really like his novels and the small number of short stories I've read by him before (in the Cyberabad Days collection) so I'm looking forward to reading a bit more of his short fiction.

Archived