Westeros applied to your country?

Sigella

I've had som fun merging my country (sweden) into westeros, so I thought I'd ask for other nationalities to do the same.

So here it goes:

I live on Gotland, which is the island in the middle of the baltic sea, so CLEARLY I'm Ironborn.

The northern half of sweden lies in the arctic circle, so it fits perfectly for the North (still waiting for a wall to be built though..)

The southern part of sweden has these great sand beaches, but sadly I can't find anything else Dornish about it...

Birka (an really old trading spot from like the viking age) gets to be Oldtown.

Stockholm has the Globe, which is almost as good as a Dragon Pit.

North: Minnesota, North Dakota, Northern Michigan. 

Westerlands: California, Washington, Oregon 

Kingslanding: New York

Crownlands: Washington DC, Philly, Virginia 

Stormlands: Gulf Coast

Riverlands: Mississippi, Northern Louisiana, Missouri 

Dorne: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico 

Reach: Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Southern Michigan, West Virginia 

Iron Islands: New England 

Lands beyond the wall : Canada lol

Best I got 

Cool game man!

I am from Tel Aviv, Israel so I guess that because Tel Aviv is at the seashore, it's on the western side of the country, and it's where the elite hang out, then it would be Lannisport. Although in a lot of senses it could also be Oldtown because it is the largest metropolis and where the culture, high education and science flourish the most.

A neighbor city to Tel Aviv is Ramat Gan, which actually translates from Hebrew to High Garden, then it would have to be Highgarden.

The largest and most populous, and most pious city - Jerusalem would be King's Landing as they are both the capitals and it also lies in the geographical center of the land (although it is inland, unlike kings landing).

The Riverlands parallel I guess would be the West Bank. Where all kind of atrocities and bloodshed are happening all the time.

Haifa is the biggest city in the north part of Israel. a shore city with a major seaport then it's probably White Harbor.

The northern border with Syria and Lebanon is The Wall, there lies Mount Hermon - the highest place in the country and also the coldest, it is Castle Black.

The southern part of Israel, the Negev, which is largely vast deserts would be Dorne, Be'er Sheva the largest city in the region is Sunspear.

In terms of climate and ecosystem, I'd say Dorne is probably a mix of Florida, Arizona and New Mexico.

In terms of the people, Dorne would be Florida.

I don't see how Oklahoma and Kansas would fit into the Dorne of the United States.

I think that New York is much more comparable to the Westerlands than the west coast .

I'm a New Yorker, and I have a lot of west coast friends.

Westerlands people tend to be more arrogant, conquering, we need to rule the world type, more haughty and obsessed with prestige and image, which goes with New York. 

I'd say West Coast is actually probably closer to the Reach. Lots of wealth, still obsessed with image but without as much aggression, somewhat more laid back people.

4 hours ago, ForTheNorth said:

Best I got 

This is so accurate though...

4 hours ago, ForTheNorth said:

Best I got 

I was just considering that California, Arizona and possibly New Mexico are in the Reach.    I was giving Oregon & all 3 east to the Crownlands, Washington & 2 east to the Westerlands.  Texas and Florida to Dorne.  Really, Westeros is just to small for this place.  

I live in Chile, a long, thin country that covers almost all climates. Divided by 'regions', with a central capital, located in the middle of it. That would be the Iron Throne.

Northern regions are hot, dry and have some deserts. There are big copper mines there.

I live in the southern regions, but not far south. I get a climate that resembles very much the riverlands. Far south regions are fractured, consisting of lots of islands with strong winds and short sunlight time span. A very bucolic version of the Iron Islands.

As a side note, Easter Island is nominally chilean, although its culture is very far from the hinterlands. It's a somewhat Summer Island annexed to the country.

Lands of Always Winter would be located on our Antartica chunk of land, very far down south. :P

11 hours ago, Sigella said:

I've had som fun merging my country (sweden) into westeros, so I thought I'd ask for other nationalities to do the same.

So here it goes:

I live on Gotland, which is the island in the middle of the baltic sea, so CLEARLY I'm Ironborn.

The northern half of sweden lies in the arctic circle, so it fits perfectly for the North (still waiting for a wall to be built though..)

The southern part of sweden has these great sand beaches, but sadly I can't find anything else Dornish about it...

Sweden is Essos from where I live. A strange country across the sea. (well the Øresund :P)

12 hours ago, Sigella said:

So here it goes:

Lol fellow Swede here. I've also done this, and it was super fun. I understand you chose Birka as Oldtown because it's been around for ages, but since Birka is located in or near Stockholm (which has to be King's Landing) and barely a city I'd rather put Malmö or Gothenburg as Oldtown as they are the biggest (and most important) cities in Sweden except for Stockholm. I had actually placed The Iron Islands somewhere around Bohuslän, while I put Gotland as Dorne after long consideration. You do have quite a special culture and environment compared to the rest of Sweden, after all, and if there is any region in Sweden that is even remotely close to a desert, I'd say it's got to be the "alvar" climate of Gotland. Another option would of course have been to put Skåne and the surrounding areas as Dorne, but I decided that Skåne should be The Reach instead. Hence, Malmö would probably be Oldtown and Gothenburg could be Lannisport instead, with Västergötland as The Westerlands. One nearly perfect match is "Dalarna" as The Vale. Not only because of the name and climate, but also for the historical parallells between Robert Baratheon and Gustav Vasa. Finally, basically Norrland is The North and the parts between/north of Vänern and Vättern are the Riverlands, while I've put my own region, Östergötland, as the Stormlands, because... Well, it just felt right.

Cool game! 

I'm from North east Scotland. If I were to look at it from the angle GRRM looked at it when he was inspired to create the wall i'd say to make it more fun im from the United Kingdom(although mosts Scots say they are from Scotland, not the UK lol) and I would place the Wall on the border of Scotland and England where old Hadrians wall is.

Small English Cities like Carlisle would be kinda like moles-town. Big English cities around the border like Middlesborough and Newcastle would be like westeros' Last hearth and Karhold probably.

The Riverlands would be around Merseyside with cities including Liverpool.

Southern cities including London would be Dorne, With Sandstone and the Hellholt being English cities like Portsmouth closer to the coast.

Going back up to Scotland 'beyond the wall' where all us free folk are! Thenn would be around Stirling, Glasgow and Edinburgh. 

But the further North you go This would place my home in the Lands of always winter where we see harsh winters every year and nobody is a summer child lol. 

If Westeros was just Scotland and not the UK, my home would possibly be around Karhold and the grey cliffs on the east coast and beyond the wall would be what we call 'The highlands'.

Are we talking similarities or purely geographical position? When it comes to both, Norway is the North, no doubt. A cold, rocky country with some fields and rivers. My country of origin (not telling!:D) would be somwhere between the East Dorne and King's Landing, purely geographically. When it comes to actual similarities, well...it's something between the Iron Islands (because it's not prosperous) and The Reach (because the nature is beautiful).

I don't think New Zealand works, unfortunately. We did have major mining areas on the West Coast of the South Island, but the mines have all closed. There's no major Westerosi city affected by earthquakes (and making Christchurch Valyria is a real stretch). At most, you'd have Auckland as King's Landing, but even that falls over because Auckland isn't the capital. My home city of Dunedin might conceivably work as the North (colder, provincial, culturally odd), but the North doesn't have the same sort of genteel decay aspect (Dunedin is arguably New Zealand's equivalent of the US Rustbelt - a once thriving centre in the grip of a multi-decade economic decline).

Overall, perhaps just make Australia Westeros and New Zealand the Iron Islands.

13 hours ago, Artos Cold said:

Gotland?! Dalslännare här! 

High-five!

13 hours ago, ForTheNorth said:

Best I got 

But don't forget the american Dragonstone: Hawaii (both has volcanos, right?)

2 hours ago, TheHodorThatWasPromised said:

Sweden is Essos from where I live. A strange country across the sea. (well the Øresund :P)

Denmark is the Stepstones or disputed lands from where I sit though... (Öresund being the Arm of Dorne not yet broken :D)

1 hour ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Lol fellow Swede here. I've also done this, and it was super fun. I understand you chose Birka as Oldtown because it's been around for ages, but since Birka is located in or near Stockholm (which has to be King's Landing) and barely a city I'd rather put Malmö or Gothenburg as Oldtown as they are the biggest (and most important) cities in Sweden except for Stockholm. I had actually placed The Iron Islands somewhere around Bohuslän, while I put Gotland as Dorne after long consideration. You do have quite a special culture and environment compared to the rest of Sweden, after all, and if there is any region in Sweden that is even remotely close to a desert, I'd say it's got to be the "alvar" climate of Gotland. Another option would of course have been to put Skåne and the surrounding areas as Dorne, but I decided that Skåne should be The Reach instead. Hence, Malmö would probably be Oldtown and Gothenburg could be Lannisport instead, with Västergötland as The Westerlands. One nearly perfect match is "Dalarna" as The Vale. Not only because of the name and climate, but also for the historical parallells between Robert Baratheon and Gustav Vasa. Finally, basically Norrland is The North and the parts between/north of Vänern and Vättern are the Riverlands, while I've put my own region, Östergötland, as the Stormlands, because... Well, it just felt right.

High-five! I had no idea Sweden was so well represented here!

When it comes to churches, seminaries and university - Uppsala should be Oldtown...

But considering it purely on looks, Visby medieval city of Gotland (google it if unfamiliar!), pretty much takes the cake as Oldtown. I think Skåne/Blekinge is Dorne, Småland is Riverlands, Halland/Bohuslän/Gbg is Westerlands with Gbg as Casterly rock.

13 hours ago, Victarion Dondarrion said:

Cool game man!

I am from Tel Aviv, Israel so I guess that because Tel Aviv is at the seashore, it's on the western side of the country, and it's where the elite hang out, then it would be Lannisport. Although in a lot of senses it could also be Oldtown because it is the largest metropolis and where the culture, high education and science flourish the most.

A neighbor city to Tel Aviv is Ramat Gan, which actually translates from Hebrew to High Garden, then it would have to be Highgarden.

The largest and most populous, and most pious city - Jerusalem would be King's Landing as they are both the capitals and it also lies in the geographical center of the land (although it is inland, unlike kings landing).

The Riverlands parallel I guess would be the West Bank. Where all kind of atrocities and bloodshed are happening all the time.

Haifa is the biggest city in the north part of Israel. a shore city with a major seaport then it's probably White Harbor.

The northern border with Syria and Lebanon is The Wall, there lies Mount Hermon - the highest place in the country and also the coldest, it is Castle Black.

The southern part of Israel, the Negev, which is largely vast deserts would be Dorne, Be'er Sheva the largest city in the region is Sunspear.

This is awesome!, Such a cool factoid!

8 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

I live in Chile, a long, thin country that covers almost all climates. Divided by 'regions', with a central capital, located in the middle of it. That would be the Iron Throne.

Northern regions are hot, dry and have some deserts. There are big copper mines there.

I live in the southern regions, but not far south. I get a climate that resembles very much the riverlands. Far south regions are fractured, consisting of lots of islands with strong winds and short sunlight time span. A very bucolic version of the Iron Islands.

As a side note, Easter Island is nominally chilean, although its culture is very far from the hinterlands. It's a somewhat Summer Island annexed to the country.

Lands of Always Winter would be located on our Antartica chunk of land, very far down south. :P

As LOAW this is gonna be hard to beat :D

47 minutes ago, Yoren "The Wanderly Crow" said:

Ireland..

North - Contrast of wildling vs North men = Prods v Catholics  :P 

Kings landing - Over crowded and smelly as Dublin

South - Cork as rebellious as Dorne

And lets face it...Westerous is actually shaped similar to Ireland!!

Sorry to say that shape-wise no real country holds a candle to the UK.

Australia take one.

I'm from Queensland, so if it were up to me, we'd build the Wall just above Rockhampton. Goldie is White Harbour.

North Coast NSW is the Vale

Sydney Kings Landing

South Coast the Stormlands

The Riverlands along the Murray.

Victoria is the South

Melbourne Oldtown

The Westerlands are the Mallee and South Australia,

Adelaide is Lannisport.

West Australia and the Centre are Dorne

Perth is Sunspear, the Southwest is the Dornish Marches,

Darwin is Planky Town, the Alice is Sandstone.

Tasmania is Bear Island but Hobart is more like Old Wyk.

The Torres Straight Islands and PNG are where the Thenns live.

ETA @Roose Boltons Pet Leech as an appendage to Australia, I think I would make NZ the Shield Islands, because you are too decent to be Ironborn, and the Shield Islands seem pretty bucolic, when they aren't being raided by Ironborn.  Although you look more like the Frostfangs.

And as a stand-aIone Westeros, I wouldn't quarrel with Aukland=KL, Wellington Oldtown, Canterbury Plains  the Riverlands etc."We can be some pissy Islands off of Westeros" ? Hell, no. Make Australia Essos, and give NZ a better shot than that.

Archived