Rickon Stark.........

On 9/11/2016 at 6:49 AM, BalerionTheCat said:

I would say the show has written out Rickon. But IMO, GRRM would not have put a baby Stark for no great purpose. One way or another, I don't believe Bran or Jon will be KITN, or will rule the North in any official manner. So where would be the purpose of Rickon.

Yes he would. He's a Shaggy Dog joke.

On 14/09/2016 at 6:20 AM, Lord Fauntleroy said:

From Wiki: "a shaggy dog story or yarn is an extremely long-winded anecdote characterized by extensive narration of typically irrelevant incidents and terminated by an anticlimax or a pointless punchline".

Fit quite well HBO's narration of Rickon's story. Just me, but I don't feel GRRM is in this line of jokes.

16 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

From Wiki: "a shaggy dog story or yarn is an extremely long-winded anecdote characterized by extensive narration of typically irrelevant incidents and terminated by an anticlimax or a pointless punchline".

Fit quite well HBO's narration of Rickon's story. Just me, but I don't feel GRRM is in this line of jokes.

I don't think that Rickon will turn out to the Shaggy Dog at the scale of entire series, but IMO he will turn out to be a somehow irrelevant conclusion of Davos' TWoW quest. That is not something so hard too see. Davos is searching for Rickon to help Stannis's cause and in the end after finally "succeeding" he might only find that Stannis is dead or that Manderly played him false because he send him to find his liege lord but his true liege lord is Bran, so even when Davos turn out with Rickon the contract won't be fulfilled. Why I think that Rickon will die is because he is red herring when it comes to Stark inheritance. He is able bodied, true-born male but I think that unclear situation when the all left claimants are cripbles, bastards and girls is more GRRM style.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎19‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 11:05 AM, Ice Turtle said:

hat Manderly played him false because he send him to find his liege lord but his true liege lord is Bran, so even when Davos turn out with Rickon the contract won't be fulfilled.

I disagree. Lord Manderly - in my opinion - does not play false on Davos. He has always been a very loyal bannerman to the Starks.

The point is not to prove that Rickon would be the Stark with the highest claim to Winterfell, the point is to find Rickon as someone having a higher claim than Arya (as far as I remember, Lord Manderly believes that Jeyne Poole is in fact Arya), and thus to weaken Roose Bolton's position. From Wex he knows that Bran might be alive, but because Wex decided to follow Osha and Rickon and seems to know about their whereabouts, that is all he can use - and it is sufficient for his plan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14. 9. 2016 at 6:20 AM, Lord Fauntleroy said:

Well, being a joke is the only way of explaining Rickon's existence if he doesn't inherit Winterfell. Somehow I still don't think that the joke reasoning is right though. Let's assume that at least one of the Stark children will survive in the end (that's usually the point if a family has a lot of children), so Winterfell and the North rule will remain in Stark hands. If not Rickon, who?

So, Robb is gone without an issue. Bran is officially dead or missing and a cripple and whether or not he leaves the tree one day, do you think he wants to rule? I mean, the likelihood of him not ever having children would be a good excuse for giving up the claim in favor of a strong young brother whom he loves and the lords will likely follow. Moving to the area of speculation, I don't see either Jon or Arya ruling the North because I believe they have some other mission in life (Jon defeating the Others and Arya getting her revenge, both possibly dying in the attempt). Besides, Jon is still a bastard and does not even come from the direct Stark line of succession. Arya is a girl ergo cannot rule by herself, has no wish of being a lady (that is, being a grownup) and I honestly cannot see her getting married and happily watching her children grandchildren grow. That leaves Sansa and that is a great question mark. I believe she will rule something because that is what her training was for. But still, she is a girl who has two brothers. I can rather see her marrying Sweetrobin/Harry and being the lady of the Vale, or consummating the marriage with Tyrion and being the lady of the Rock.

The books are overflowing with unnecessary characters of course, but having a character who is a male Stark and has his own direwolf and has greenseeing abilities and yet has no significance IMO makes no sense story-wise.

8 hours ago, Jenny of Dorne said:

Well, being a joke is the only way of explaining Rickon's existence if he doesn't inherit Winterfell. Somehow I still don't think that the joke reasoning is right though. Let's assume that at least one of the Stark children will survive in the end (that's usually the point if a family has a lot of children), so Winterfell and the North rule will remain in Stark hands. If not Rickon, who?

So, Robb is gone without an issue. Bran is officially dead or missing and a cripple and whether or not he leaves the tree one day, do you think he wants to rule? I mean, the likelihood of him not ever having children would be a good excuse for giving up the claim in favor of a strong young brother whom he loves and the lords will likely follow. Moving to the area of speculation, I don't see either Jon or Arya ruling the North because I believe they have some other mission in life (Jon defeating the Others and Arya getting her revenge, both possibly dying in the attempt). Besides, Jon is still a bastard and does not even come from the direct Stark line of succession. Arya is a girl ergo cannot rule by herself, has no wish of being a lady (that is, being a grownup) and I honestly cannot see her getting married and happily watching her children grandchildren grow. That leaves Sansa and that is a great question mark. I believe she will rule something because that is what her training was for. But still, she is a girl who has two brothers. I can rather see her marrying Sweetrobin/Harry and being the lady of the Vale, or consummating the marriage with Tyrion and being the lady of the Rock.

The books are overflowing with unnecessary characters of course, but having a character who is a male Stark and has his own direwolf and has greenseeing abilities and yet has no significance IMO makes no sense story-wise.

Bran's wildness could be used to ease Wildling alliances. Maybe he marries one of Tormund's daughters (I got the feeling Manderly had his eye on Rickon though.) 

It sends a message to have a Karstark marry a Wildling, or revealing some of the Mormonts are Tormund's seed (Harr!) 

But the ultimate message would be a Stark.

On 20. 10. 2016 at 8:24 PM, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

Bran's wildness could be used to ease Wildling alliances. Maybe he marries one of Tormund's daughters (I got the feeling Manderly had his eye on Rickon though.) 

If you mean Rickon not Bran, I completely agree! I think his friendship with Osha (if she is still alive, she was actually raising him during a very critical age period) and his wild(ing)ness will have importance. As you say, it would send a message to have a king in the North/lord of Winterfell marry a wildling.

31 minutes ago, Jenny of Dorne said:

If you mean Rickon not Bran, I completely agree! I think his friendship with Osha (if she is still alive, she was actually raising him during a very critical age period) and his wild(ing)ness will have importance. As you say, it would send a message to have a king in the North/lord of Winterfell marry a wildling.

Whoops, my mistake. I did mean Rickon. 

• 2 months later...

I think that all depends at Robb's will wordings. If he had disinherited Bran and Rickon in order to protect the North from any imposters neither Bran or Rickon come before Jon heck even if Bran and Rickon appear after Jon's coronation and in the middle of LN2.0 I bet that the Northmen will chose to follow a man who knows how to lead and not a child who knows nothing about ruling or war.

Archived