HBO Announces After the Thrones

Westeros

This feels long over-due: HBO announces an after-show for season 6 of Game of Thrones, titled After the Thrones, which will feature critic and commentator Andy Greenwald (formerly of Grantland) and Chris Ryan of Grantland-succesor, The Ringer. See the press release below:

HBO AND BILL SIMMONS TEAM UP FOR AFTER THE THRONES,

WEEKLY SHOW EXPLORING HIT HBO SERIES “GAME OF THRONES,”

DEBUTING THIS MONTH

AFTER THE THRONES, a weekly show that takes a lively, humorous and sophisticated look at the hit HBO series “Game of Thrones,” will debut this month. The first show to spring from HBO’s new partnership with Bill Simmons, AFTER THE THRONES will be hosted by Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan from The Ringer, Simmons’ new content site.

Beginning with the season premiere of “Game of Thrones” on April 24, each weekly edition of AFTER THE THRONES will be available on Mondays on HBO NOW, HBO GO and HBO On Demand, as well as other affiliate portals. Playdates on the main HBO channel will be announced as they are confirmed.

Each week, AFTER THE THRONES will recap the latest episode, explaining the who, what, when and where, exploring the complicated politics and history of “Thrones,” and offering absurd and not-so-absurd theories about future episodes. Greenwald and Ryan will discuss the show as only they can.

Greenwald and Ryan previously hosted Grantland’s hit Watch the Thrones podcast, and currently host The Watch on Channel 33’s podcast feed for The Ringer. Greenwald has established himself as one of America’s premier television critics, and is currently working on the book “How To Watch TV” (Ecco Press). Ryan is the executive editor of The Ringer. The Watch was hailed as one of the best pop-culture podcasts on the Internet by Vulture and Entertainment Weekly.

The executive producers of AFTER THE THRONES are Bill Simmons and BSMG President Eric Weinberger, with Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald serving as co-executive producers.

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Yes. Linda and I were on it for several seasons. :) I did some more digging, and so far as I can see Sky is preping series 6 of Thronecast, so HBO making its own show doesn't seem to have impacted it.

On 6 April 2016 at 9:05 PM, Ran said:

Yes. Linda and I were on it for several seasons. :) I did some more digging, and so far as I can see Sky is preping series 6 of Thronecast, so HBO making its own show doesn't seem to have impacted it.

It's good to hear that thronecast will still go ahead but I just feel like it will be in the shadow of after the thrones so it's quality may dwindle in terms of guest appearances and the like. 

On 11 April 2016 at 3:54 PM, Jam On Toast said:

I sincerely hope that Sue Perkins is not on Thronecast again. I don't have anything against her and she has hosted other programmes well enough, but on Thronecast I just found her unbearable and annoying to watch.

I always felt like she was more interested in gawking at the actors than the actually story of the show 

I think After the Thrones sounds like they're not intending to have guests from the show, at least not as a regular thing (maybe for the final episode?). And Thronecast has the advantage of being in the UK, where most of the actors reside anyway, so booking them will be easier.

The format is unchanged from last year -- still a live show in front of an audience, and Sue Perkins is still hosting, with Jamie East still pitching in.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I think After the Thrones sounds like they're not intending to have guests from the show, at least not as a regular thing (maybe for the final episode?). And Thronecast has the advantage of being in the UK, where most of the actors reside anyway, so booking them will be easier.

The format is unchanged from last year -- still a live show in front of an audience, and Sue Perkins is still hosting, with Jamie East still pitching in.

Well yes thronecast does have that advantage and I didn't realise after the thrones would not have common guest appearances, also a lot of people I have talked to love the set up for thronecast so I'm not surprised they decided to keep it the same. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone recommend watching Thronecast?

I started S6E1 of Thronecast and found it to be silly and over the top (but maybe that's just British TV).  

My problem with After the Thrones is that it lacks anything critical about GoT.  They are a buncha lickspittles....if you will.  :-)

Thoughts?  Recommendations?

Thanks!

Ive seen a few episodes thus far. Have only managed to see half shows though as it always seems to be already started whenever I get to it.

I think the show could benefit by being a little longer, more in depth, and by having guests from the show. In other words more closely formatted to what Talking Dead is doing. I'll continue to watch, its interesting, but i'm hoping it will get a little better as it gets its sea legs.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Mallory Rubin on it best, but glad the show is airing. They don't have much time to spend on each character from that week's episode of GOT so a lot of it is rushed. Still, like it pretty good. Mallory really knows her facts from show and books!

• 2 weeks later...

Mallory is what makes this show most beneficial to those of us who are interested in Game of Thrones for more than just it's entertainment value. She's the one true ASOIAF historian and should, at the very least, be a co-host. She's also the only one on the show who isn't a bit of a pretentious douche. She's authentically nerdy, kind of a badass, and gorgeous. HUGE win win.  

• 4 weeks later...

I caught two episodes of After the Thrones this season, and I wasn't really impressed. I'm not sure why this doesn't work as well as Talking Dead, but it didn't engage me the way that show did. My guess is it's the lack of guests and an audience. This was more of a recap show, and for recaps I like coming here and reading the threads. Also, many of the youtube recaps, like the recaps the guys at NewRockstars do, I found much more entertaining. Get Filup if you do a S2 of AtT, HBO! 

• 1 month later...

Archived