"People are going to hate Game of Thrones Season 6", Maisie Williams.

RUSSELL BELL

Maisie Williams claims that the new season of Game of Thrones is going to be divisive. That in itself isn't actually an issue, however let's hope its the kind of hate that make you cry in despair (Red wedding style) and not in befuddlement of plot holes and inconsistencies in the plot (a lot of seasons 4 and 5). My bet is that its going to be a bit of both. Either way the next few months are going to be intriguing.  

http://winteriscoming.net/2016/04/05/maisie-williams-on-season-6-people-are-going-to-hate-it-but-love-it/

Really? Seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction to me. You're either a normal person or racist/bigot/insert 'ist' of your choice. 

Though I like her reflection on labelling negatives rather than positives, sadly I think the real world has a shitload of work left to do in that regard. Unlike her quote, many normal people fancy themselves as not being sexist when in fact, they blatantly, proudly are. 

Many examples on this very board, in fact :P

28 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I really like this quote by her:

Kind of sums up a lot of the ways people think.

Quote makes no sense to me. Lots of "normal people" are sexist.  

Of course people are going to hate season 6. People hate everything, nobody can ever please people. There's always somebody who is offended and angry and hates season 6 (or anything else in the world really) for whatever reason. Nobody can ever do anything that somebody won't hate. And so nobody should make it their goal to do something that pleases everybody, because that's a non existent scenario. That's how people are, have always been and will always be. 

5 minutes ago, BB-Rhae said:

Of course people are going to hate season 6. People hate everything, nobody can ever please people. There's always somebody who is offended and angry and hates season 6 (or anything else in the world really) for whatever reason. Nobody can ever do anything that somebody won't hate. And so nobody should make it their goal to do something that pleases everybody, because that's a non existent scenario. That's how people are, have always been and will always be. 

Yeah of course, but I think we can all agree that seasons 1-4 was liked overwhelmingly and while most people liked season 5, a more significant minority didn't like season 6, albeit a very vocal one. So I think she's suggesting a similar scenario to season 5. 

Might also point out based on the interview from her and several other cast members, they seem to definitely be hinting at the end game, so folks hoping for it to go on to season 10 or for Dream of Spring to be released beforehand are going be disappointed. 

1 minute ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

Yeah of course, but I think we can all agree that seasons 1-4 was liked overwhelmingly and while most people liked season 5, a more significant minority didn't like season 6, albeit a very vocal one. So I think she's suggesting a similar scenario to season 5. 

The more popular something gets, the more criticism it can expect. And GoT is bigger with every passing season. That means the camp of people who are unhappy with it is bigger with every season too. Does this change the big picture? I don't think so. GoT is too big and too popular to be brought down by its critiques. Besides, negative advertising is advertising too. 

Okay, I'll try to say something normal too. Season 5 was hated for its controversy, and Maisie's statement might mean that season 6 is going to be just as or more controversial. Controversy attracts attention, if anything, it makes GoT even more popular which means more love and more hate too. And I'm really not sure if it's GoT that got more controversial over the seasons or it's people that got more sensitive and bored to have the time and energy to turn a television show into a moral and ideological question. GoT is entertainment. Now you can of course turn this into a social issue too, as you can turn everything into a social issue and argue if it's good or not, right or wrong of so many people to enjoy GoT. But whatever your conclusion is, it won't make people stop enjoying it. Nah, I didn't manage to say something normal. 

What is normal and abnormal depends on the individual and in some cases, a collective group's perception. To many, perception is their reality. I suspect that there is going to be some heartbreaking deaths in Season 6 that will almost be as bad as Jon Snow and Shireen. That is what is going to cause some people to "hate it".

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

That sounds like we're getting a very high death count to me.  So, I stick with the idea that Rickon/Osha/Ghost are biting it, and probably other fairly popular characters as well.

Yup. I'm expecting ~ 10 characters to bite it, and that's not counting Shaggy and Ghost. And by characters I mean a mix of main, recurring etc but all named characters, not red shirts.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yup. I'm expecting ~ 10 characters to bite it, and that's not counting Shaggy and Ghost. And by characters I mean a mix of main, recurring etc but all named characters, not red shirts.

Well, let's see, my count:

Rickon

Osha

Ghost

Roose

Ramsay

Kevan

Pycelle

*Walda, Wun Wun, Waif, Balon, ?

I might be forgetting some, but 10 sounds about right in terms of main and secondary characters.

Oh for FoCKs sake...

She specefically said. See I'm quite scared about talking about feminism. People dump shit loads of hate and support. I have no idea why you opened that can of worms when she specefically said please dont judge, before saying that....

Please dont respond to the above too. Please..Please...

I don't want to derail the thread.

That said,

I believe there is going to be some torture or horrible high profile death this season. Something that makes us say "I'll never watch this show" and come back next episode :P

Hodor or Rickon's death will probably have that effect.

18 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Well, let's see, my count:

Rickon

Osha

Ghost

Roose

Ramsay

Kevan

Pycelle

*Walda, Wun Wun, Waif, Balon, ?

I might be forgetting some, but 10 sounds about right in terms of main and secondary characters.

Loras and Jorah are goners, imo. I think there's a good chance Jaime and Meera bite it as well but that might be wishful thinking. And I'll add Tormund, too. And Walder Frey, since we got the signposting. 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Loras and Jorah are goners, imo. I think there's a good chance Jaime and Meera bite it as well but that might be wishful thinking. And I'll add Tormund, too. And Walder Frey, since we got the signposting. 

Loras is definitely dead.  Not sure about Jorah, I think he makes it one more season.  

Oh and Olly, thank the old gods and the new.  How could I forget the potato head.

Didn't someone say that Arya doesn't get to Westeros this season?  If so, then she can't kill Walder Frey unless someone else does it, but I feel it was foreshadowed, cough cough.

Why do people think Meera is going to get killed?  Bran has to have someone in his story to play off of.

I've always thought Jamie and Cersei would go out together and I am not sure the show would change that, but it possible, they'll never kill Lena this early though.

Archived