Language of the Others

The Bold Wolf

17 hours ago, The Bold Wolf said:

The Others are more than just people raised from the dead. 

You do know that others aren't raised from the dead right? There are the others (white walkers, blue eyes, extremely fast and lethal) and then there are Wights (people raised from the dead, presumably by the white walkers).

18 hours ago, The Bold Wolf said:

The Others are more than just people raised from the dead. They have a certain organized way about them, but do they posses a language? Do they even speak? If so, do you think that it will ever be shown in the books? 

It has been shown in the books mate, they have language, voices, they even laugh.

The first time we've encountered them, they spoke.

Then Royce’s parry came a beat too late. The pale sword bit through the ringmail beneath his arm. The young lord cried out in pain. Blood welled between the rings. It steamed in the cold, and the droplets seemed red as fire where they touched the snow. Ser Waymar’s fingers brushed his side. His moleskin glove came away soaked with red.

The Other said something in a language that Will did not know; his voice was like the cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking.

19 hours ago, The Bold Wolf said:

The Others are more than just people raised from the dead. They have a certain organized way about them, but do they posses a language? Do they even speak? If so, do you think that it will ever be shown in the books? 

What everybody else said. 

They are Craster's sons and GRRM has confirmed that "they are not dead"

12 hours ago, SanderOfTheFaith said:

You do know that others aren't raised from the dead right? There are the others (white walkers, blue eyes, extremely fast and lethal) and then there are Wights (people raised from the dead, presumably by the white walkers).

Yeah I know the difference. Thats why I was asking about the others language. 

The True tongue is the language of the CotF, the Old Tongue was brought over by the FM.  In the Prologue of AGoT the Others speak as @Ferocious Veldt Roarer said and it sounds like the cracking of ice.  Given that the True Tongue is the sounds of nature and the Old Tongue is harsh I suspect what the Other's speak is a bastardization of the two languages.  Especially if you believe the Others to originated from an early tribe of FM. 

10 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

The first time we've encountered them, they spoke.

Then Royce’s parry came a beat too late. The pale sword bit through the ringmail beneath his arm. The young lord cried out in pain. Blood welled between the rings. It steamed in the cold, and the droplets seemed red as fire where they touched the snow. Ser Waymar’s fingers brushed his side. His moleskin glove came away soaked with red.

The Other said something in a language that Will did not know; his voice was like the cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking.

Maybe I should re-read that part again. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, The Bold Wolf said:

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. Don't I look the fool now?

So much info to take in since the AGOT prologue some details are easy forgot. Go back for a re read of the series before winds of winter. Them scenes with Waymar and the Others are truly great reading. 

45 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

The True tongue is the language of the CotF, the Old Tongue was brought over by the FM.  In the Prologue of AGoT the Others speak as @Ferocious Veldt Roarer said and it sounds like the cracking of ice.  Given that the True Tongue is the sounds of nature and the Old Tongue is harsh I suspect what the Other's speak is a bastardization of the two languages.  Especially if you believe the Others to originated from an early tribe of FM. 

I'm more inclined to believe it's a separate language, though possibly one related to the True Tongue. After all, the sounds of ice cracking and the like are sounds of nature. Just different ones.

6 minutes ago, TheSovereignGrave said:

I'm more inclined to believe it's a separate language, though possibly one related to the True Tongue. After all, the sounds of ice cracking and the like are sounds of nature. Just different ones.

I agree, that's what I meant by bastardization.  :) 

Archived