Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

8 minutes ago, SquidwardGreyjoy said:

I'm hoping the plot with Jon Snow is sort of like what happened to Quentyn, where we are set up for some great and awesome thing to happen, and instead Melisandre sacrifices herself to no avail. Wouldn't that be a wonderful twist on the whole setup of Jon being AA??

I personally couldn't care less if Jon survives/gets resurrected or not: I'm sure GRRM has a good plan for it, and that's all that matters (I couldn't care less about whatever the show does).

On 17/04/2016 at 1:10 PM, norwaywolf123 said:

I think religon has too little role in ASOIAF "where are all the stonings or mass kilings of infidels?" "Why are people so tolerant?"

The Starks are overrated

While religion indeed is too understated in ASoIaF, stonings and mass killing of infidels weren't exactly common place IRL, so I don't see why they would need to be in Westeros.

1 hour ago, Sullen said:

While religion indeed is too understated in ASoIaF, stonings and mass killing of infidels weren't exactly common place IRL, so I don't see why they would need to be in Westeros.

It seems that the Red God has alot of burnings and so on, and later when the Faith becomes armed they hunt the faithless out of kingslanding

59 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

I had a customer by the name of Talisa...I changed it to Jeyne. 

Nice. I had file with the name Jharahy, which is clearly a corruption of Jaehaerys. Silly smallfolk should stick to naming their wee bairns for wildflowers. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 2:00 PM, VicAndTheSquidSquad said:

Dirty secret confession:

I check GRRM's not a blog three times a day hoping for a WoW release date :blush:

Haha!  He's the ONLY reason I have Twitter.  I suppose you enjoy his post about your "Evil Little Bill"?

12 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

The last video review of the ep. has Linda pronouncing Tyene's name as something like "Tye-Ah-Nee" (I pronounced it as "Tee-Ehn"). I dunno how it really is, but she makes it sounds like Tallarin, wich is "noddle" in Spanish. So, I rename you, Tyene, as Tallarin Sand...!

:rofl:

I usually watch the breakdown with D&D after the episodes.  IDK which is which but one of them pronounces Tommen and Cersei as TOME-MAN and SER-SAAY.

I used to work at a wholesale distributor of paper and cleaning goods.  Our product codes were three letters followed by a combination of numbers and/or letters.  (Like ABC 27GH4.)  The first three letters stood for the manufacturer.  One of these was "IMP," for Imperial.  Both I and a coworker (who was also mad for ASoIaF) admitted to each other that their products always made us think of Tyrion when we entered them.

The Louisiana state flag and the Albanian flag reminds me of something from ASoIaF.

The Louisiana state flag is of a mother pelican feeding her three chicks in a nest.  Our words are Union, Justice, and Confidence.  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/Louisiana_state_flag.png/1280px-Louisiana_state_flag.png

The Albanian flag features a black two-headed eagle on a red field.  Very, very Blackfyrish.  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Flag_of_Albania.svg/1280px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png

3 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

:rofl:

I usually watch the breakdown with D&D after the episodes.  IDK which is which but one of them pronounces Tommen and Cersei as TOME-MAN and SER-SAAY.

Have you listened to the books? Roy Dotrice, God love that man, but he has about 5 ways of pronouncing everyone's name. I was listening to a Storm chapter today and he called Jojen, Jon-Jon.  I am used to it now and Roy can do no wrong in my "book" :cool4:

I pronounce Cersei like "ser say" / "sare say" as well.  I've heard GRRM (unless I'm mistaken) sometimes pronounce Tommen like "tome man" as well.

However, Ser is never supposed to rhyme with "hair."  (Yes, I'm looking at you, whoever narrated The Mystery Knight.)

24 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Have you listened to the books? Roy Dotrice, God love that man, but he has about 5 ways of pronouncing everyone's name. I was listening to a Storm chapter today and he called Jojen, Jon-Jon.  I am used to it now and Roy can do no wrong in my "book" :cool4:

Roy Dotrice is beyond masterful. I have listened to maybe a hundred audiobooks and no one has ever come close. You try managing 335 voices at 93 years of age. Granted, almost all of them were non-fiction so it's a bit different.

He spoiled us rotten with his brilliance.

1 minute ago, Daendrew said:

Roy Dotrice is beyond masterful. I have listened to maybe a hundred audiobooks and no one has ever come close. You try managing 335 voices at 93 years of age. Granted, almost all of them were non-fiction so it's a bit different.

He spoiled us rotten with his brilliance.

Agree, if you have only read the books you deserve to listen to them too. Great work.

Archived