Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

18 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

I pronounce Cersei like "ser say" / "sare say" as well.  I've heard GRRM (unless I'm mistaken) sometimes pronounce Tommen like "tome man" as well.

However, Ser is never supposed to rhyme with "hair."  (Yes, I'm looking at you, whoever narrated The Mystery Knight.)

Harry Lloyd, tv Viserys. 

21 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Agree, if you have only read the books you deserve to listen to them too. Great work.

I have listened to the series 6x. 

No one comes even close to his caliber.

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Have you listened to the books? Roy Dotrice, God love that man, but he has about 5 ways of pronouncing everyone's name. I was listening to a Storm chapter today and he called Jojen, Jon-Jon.  I am used to it now and Roy can do no wrong in my "book" :cool4:

Jon-Jon? As in Lavender Brown "THATS MY JON-JON!" 

12 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

I pronounce Cersei like "ser say" / "sare say" as well.  I've heard GRRM (unless I'm mistaken) sometimes pronounce Tommen like "tome man" as well.

However, Ser is never supposed to rhyme with "hair."  (Yes, I'm looking at you, whoever narrated The Mystery Knight.)

He puts an odd emphasis on it, hard to describe in text. 

12 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Have you listened to the books? Roy Dotrice, God love that man, but he has about 5 ways of pronouncing everyone's name. I was listening to a Storm chapter today and he called Jojen, Jon-Jon.  I am used to it now and Roy can do no wrong in my "book" :cool4:

No I haven't.  Does he say Wun-wun wun-wun?

If Edmure and Rickon die I will lose almost all interest in this story.  How it will just come off that Martin is too invested in the trope of making sympathetic and decent people horribly suffer.  Shireen's death also counts for this, but I already accept that is happening.

Robb > Jon, Robb was better overall leader and commander of men than Jon.

16 hours ago, Daendrew said:

I have listened to the series 6x. 

No one comes even close to his caliber.

I do have to say though, I really love Iain Glen's readings of the Rogue Prince and the Princess and the Queen. I would much prefer if he could do all the readings for any asoiaf related work. 

On 29. April 2016 at 0:50 AM, RoamingRonin said:

Why?

I have a feeling that the chapters of Arianne Martell, Areo Hotah, Jon Connington and Victarion Greyjoy and most of Tyrion's   travellings are pointless filler.

I also don't believe anymore the series will be finished by GRRM.

On 1/5/2016 at 6:47 AM, alienarea said:

I have a feeling that the chapters of Arianne Martell, Areo Hotah, Jon Connington and Victarion Greyjoy and most of Tyrion's   travellings are pointless filler.

You didn't say so...! In my Random thread!!! *faints*

ok, I got you this. It's awesome

6 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

ok, I got you this. It's awesome

Love it!!!

1 hour ago, ASOIAF_Ali said:

I'd probably be happy if GRRM killed off both Tyrion and Jon Snow. 

Well, Jon's almost certainly dead, and I couldn't really care if he comes back or not.

As for Tyrion - WAIT, TYRION?!? You can't be serious: blasphemy!!!

I truly, deeply, profoundly hope all of you are wrong and Aegon VI Targaryen is the legitimate son of Rhaegar. 

I also hope Stannis gets the Iron Throne in the end, the Seven know how.

I think Varys is the perfumed seneschal Quaithe alarmed Dany against, and I think that, in book and show, he is the Harpy who is fathering the Dany-supporter-killing Sons of the Harpy.

I wanted Arya to die as soon as her ACOK story started. Her chapters are boring, the most of them, and it is a rare and scarce occurence when she has a good one.

I don't like Sansa because of the way she mistreated Tyrion, yet I understand the reasons she had for it.

Unpopular opinion: I think GRRM will make Tyrion grow morally darker especially as he gets to ride Viserion and he will eventually die in the last book (possibly for belated greyscale) and I think it's clichè as hell.

Jon, the handsome young underdog-but-not-too-much gets the hero role, he's the true heir and he is even allowed to resurrect like Jesus as a proper fairytale knight in his shiny targaryen armor… either he gets the throne (if it stands) / refuses it for some noble reason or he dies heroically as an almost-flawless hero … but the ugly old one of course can't be a hero, ugly ones are not allowed to get the hero-role, so he has to be the anti-villain (at best) and eventually die, because that's what the most complex characters do in EVERY single series … they are often instrumental to the victory, they are a key point in the whole series, they somehow support the entire saga, they often have iron balls, but they ALWAYS die (Severus Snape, anyone?). Even the "I-became-darker-because-nobody-loved-me" is shallow, half of the super-heroes enemies became villains exactly that way and I think a complex character like Tyrion is more resourceful than that and deserves better. So much for GRRM's distaste of stereotypes and love for compexity... if you refuse stereotypes and try to create grey characters but then you waste them away giving them the old, trite fate they always have in EVERY.SINGLE.BOOK. amongst the few ones having grey characters, then you're not breaking ANY stereotype.

Whatever He does of the character (dead or alive), I don't care (I would have my preferences, but they don't really matter) BUT if the arc is gonna be "I strip-you-of any-love-and-hope -> you become an anti-villain (or villain) -> you die" I'm asking for my money back.

(Btw, I also tend to think Sansa's endgame is to be Queen and Daenerys will die).

I hate the idea of Tyrion riding a dragon, it's so ridiculous. Also, sometimes I found myself to be a little bit like Cersei when I'm stuck in traffic with the mad drivers of my country.

16 hours ago, ASOIAF_Ali said:

I'd probably be happy if GRRM killed off both Tyrion and Jon Snow. 

I'll defiantly be happy if GRRM killed off Jon. He's better off dead anyways. 

I think less of people who wants Jon to be Robert Baratheon's kid, this is wrong and I'm counting on GRRM's intelligence that this never comes to be. 

Shipping characters together is ridiculous. I never got the appeal of Sansa and anyone or any character. 

The only reason I want Rhaegar and Lyanna to be Jon's parents is because I love the Starks and Targs. 

I haven't really paid attention to Dany's story nor do I care that much. I only know that I love her cause she's a Targ and I want her to make it to the end either as Queen or Lady of the Crownlands ruling from Dragonstone. 

I've gotten to the point in the story where my liking a character depends on how they have treated/helped my Starks and Targs. 

Although I hated his character in my first read, I'd quite like Aegon to rule the south in the end (and be a Blackfyre). More due to lack of other characters, than anything else, but still.

I pronounce Jojen as yoy-en despite not being from a place where 'j's are pronounced as 'y's.

Maybe it's because I'm not from the English-speaking world, but nuncle does not bother me, and I don't understand why people dislike that word so much.

The Red Wedding did not make me hate the Freys (seriously).

I'm not very fond of House Targaryen, but I tend to feel sympathy for "pathetic" Targs ( Maekar and Daeron from Dunk&Egg, Viserys. . . ).

16 hours ago, Kolx said:

I hate the idea of Tyrion riding a dragon, it's so ridiculous. Also, sometimes I found myself to be a little bit like Cersei when I'm stuck in traffic with the mad drivers of my country.

I am hoping the foreshadowing is of Tyrion controlling or influencing Viserion's eventual dragon riders, Brown Ben and... wait for it... Timett son of Timett and descendant of Aemond Targaryen and Alys Rivers. No... seriously. 

• I love to think Arya is both the YMBQueen as well as the Valonquar- there's hints piling up that she will indeed be a queen, so I hope that at least is true. Marge was obviously never the queen, I always felt the same way about Sansa, and Dany just seems too obvious a choice.
  •  While I love many individual Starks, House Stark is overrated. Tully and Arryn are where it's at! I wish people would stop acting like the Starks have some sort of monopoly on honor when their history is at least as brutish and bloody as anyone else's. It's only when Ned was raised by a Southron man did he heavily grasp the notion of honor and molded himself after it. So if anyone's got a claim on honor, it's the Tullys and Arryns (ignoring Lysa who's just messed up).
  • While I personally don't think Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna, let us take note that Robert the extremist has been right on more than one occasion with his seemingly crazy paranoia. GRRM loves to be tricky and I think he's got some stuff up his sleeve he plans to throw out at the last minute about the supposedly noble Rhaegar that everyone but Robert has nice things to say about.
  • I don't think Dany is in-universe actually that beautiful. I think people are just taken by the exotic Targ coloring of silver-blonde hair and purple eyes, like many people I know are with dark hair and blue eyes irl. While Abbey Lee Kershaw is my ideal Dany and is very beautiful, I like to think that Tudors girl they almost cast as Dany is a good fit with her unique looks.
  • I'm scared my boy Bran is gonna be a villain, whether or not he realizes it. I only hope at least that he won't have to fight any of his siblings.
  • While I prefer Sansa to Arya by a mile, I actually think Arya sounds prettier. Or maybe I'm just biased because I also am a brunette with a long, solemn face.
  • Lastly, too many people reading the books tend to misunderstand characters and their motivations out of a lack of reading comprehension and I wish they would try not to take it all at face value. I'm guilty of this at times but I'm much better now than during my first reread (and I also still had no problem understanding the motivations of people who get a lot of hate for their choices like Cat and Sansa).

Archived