Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

20 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I agree, he was a great guy and very good to both Tyrion and Sansa. Can't wait to see more of him and Willas in TWOW .:D

Confession/Opinion:

I think "perfect prince" Rheagar failed royally at trying to be a "hero" and "save" Westeros while maligned, ostracized Bloodraven might actually end up being the one whose actions save Westeros.

Was Rhaegar trying to be a hero? 

I think that he was trying to do his duty and get the three heads of the dragon also create TPTWP. But I don't think he tries to be a hero. 

And who is the girl in your pic she's gorgeous. 

23 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Was Rhaegar trying to be a hero? 

I think that he was trying to do his duty and get the three heads of the dragon also create TPTWP. But I don't think he tries to be a hero. 

And who is the girl in your pic she's gorgeous. 

Maybe he wasn't. But we can reasonably assume he was obsessed with fulfilling the prophecy because he thought that might save Westeros from the coming apocalypse.

And in true GRRM style, the handsome, well-read, formidable warrior, talented musician, great guy by all accounts, glorious prince... fails at it.

(I don't want to credit Jon's actions and values to Rhaegar even if R + L = J, Jon was brought up by Ned.)

While the much-hated and reviled Bloodraven might succeed.

The picture is Elia Martell (it's her wiki pic). She really is gorgeous ^_^

This is a really cool passage...

“Someone must—”

“You. You must lead.”

“No.”

“Yes, Jon. It need not be for long. Only until such time as the garrison returns. Donal chose you, and Qhorin Halfhand before him. Lord Commander Mormont made you his steward. You are a son of Winterfell, a nephew of Benjen Stark. It must be you or no one. The Wall is yours, Jon Snow.”

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

This is a really cool passage...

This passage highlights one of the problems I have with Jon's arc: all throughout book one the message is "You get what you earn". But after that, he's just handed positions based on the abilities he learned because of his high birth.

23 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

This passage highlights one of the problems I have with Jon's arc: all throughout book one the message is "You get what you earn". But after that, he's just handed positions based on the abilities he learned because of his high birth.

Well, he is the special snowflake, after all. 

1 hour ago, RoamingRonin said:

This passage highlights one of the problems I have with Jon's arc: all throughout book one the message is "You get what you earn". But after that, he's just handed positions based on the abilities he learned because of his high birth.

What book was you reading cause "You get what you earn" was not the message in AGOT?

This story is filled with the special .1% of nobles who never earned anything. Jon is not the only one who gets things handed to him based on his high birth. ALL the characters are handed things cause of their high births, looks, and sometimes plot. 

Dont just signal Jon out cause this is in EVERY Characters' arc not just Jon's. 

7 hours ago, The Wolves said:

What book was you reading cause "You get what you earn" was not the message in AGOT?

This story is filled with the special .1% of nobles who never earned anything. Jon is not the only one who gets things handed to him based on his high birth. ALL the characters are handed things cause of their high births, looks, and sometimes plot. 

Dont just signal Jon out cause this is in EVERY Characters' arc not just Jon's. 

I think they meant that "you get what you earn" was a major theme in Jon's arc, not in the whole series. Having Jon then gain things because of his blood and upbringing sort of ruins that message.

14 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

I think they meant that "you get what you earn" was a major theme in Jon's arc, not in the whole series. Having Jon then gain things because of his blood and upbringing sort of ruins that message.

That's exactly what I meant, thank you for articulating that for me. :D

Ghost acting strange around the fort at the Fist of the First Men made me think of the show's origin of the Others and whether it's true for the books too. Maybe this was a hint by George that the Others are First Men and they used the ancient fort too.

23 minutes ago, Drekinn said:

Ghost acting strange around the fort at the Fist of the First Men made me think of the show's origin of the Others and whether it's true for the books too. Maybe this was a hint by George that the Others are First Men and they used the ancient fort too.

Please be careful with show spoilers here. 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He left Jaime to protect his wife and children. 

He ran off with a 14 year old girl, could not be found for a very long time while the realm was torn apart by a war he started. When he finally reappeared, he left the Red Keep to be defended by a 17 year old kid whose loyalties were uncertain and who clearly expressed that he was unhappy with the situation. He did not do everything in his power (or anything at all, as far as we know) to send Elia and his children to Dragonstone.

Rhaegar has a huge responsibility in the death of his wife and children, IMO.

Lets see....

I think Longclaw is Vigilance. 
I think ASOIAF is a giant allegory for Climate Change.
I think Dany represents the Axis faction during WWII
The thing in the Night is an accurate telling of the Pied Piper of Hamelin. 
I think The spell the Other's use to enslave the dead is transmitted through the eyes of the dead using light in patterns of musical notes.
I think the Lion of Night was actually a wolf.
I think the Whents married bastards of Aegon IV under the Lothston name and therefore the Tully's and Stark Children have a drop of dragon's blood.
I think Illayrio is a blackfyre and a Rogare. 
I think Tyrion Tanner will be the one to kill Cersei.

21 minutes ago, Joy Hill said:

He ran off with a 14 year old girl, could not be found for a very long time while the realm was torn apart by a war he started. When he finally reappeared, he left the Red Keep to be defended by a 17 year old kid whose loyalties were uncertain and who clearly expressed that he was unhappy with the situation. He did not do everything in his power (or anything at all, as far as we know) to send Elia and his children to Dragonstone.

Rhaegar has a huge responsibility in the death of his wife and children, IMO.

War didn't start until after Arys executed Lord Stark and his heir, and commanded Lord Arryn to behead the new Lord Stark and Lord Baratheon. Rhaegar returned to King's, and then left to fight Robert, leaving Jaime behind to protect his family. 

Rhaegar created the situation that led to the execution of the Starks and the war. Running off with the daughter of a major House, betrothed to the lord of another major House, without so much as a word to her family, was inevitably going to end up in conflict. And while this war was raging he went missing for a long, long time.

When he finally returned to KL, he did not send Elia and her kids from this obviously dangerous place (there's a reason Rhaella and Viserys left). All he left to protect them was Jaime, who was obviously not the person who should have been chosen for that task for reasons cited in the previous post (and note that while Jaime dreams of Rhaegar telling him he left his wife and children in his care, in the actual conversation they had before parting Rhaegar does not as much as mention that he must protect his family. It really seems that it's not a priority for the prince).

Of course Rhaegar is not solely responsible for the war or what happened to his family, but he played a big part.

Archived