Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

5 minutes ago, Joy Hill said:

Rhaegar created the situation that led to the execution of the Starks and the war. Running off with the daughter of a major House, betrothed to the lord of another major House, without so much as a word to her family, was inevitably going to end up in conflict. And while this war was raging he went missing for a long, long time.

When he finally returned to KL, he did not send Elia and her kids from this obviously dangerous place (there's a reason Rhaella and Viserys left). All he left to protect them was Jaime, who was obviously not the person who should have been chosen for that task for reasons cited in the previous post (and note that while Jaime dreams of Rhaegar telling him he left his wife and children in his care, in the actual conversation they had before parting Rhaegar does not as much as mention that he must protect his family. It really seems that it's not a priority for the prince).

Of course Rhaegar is not solely responsible for the war of what happened to his family, but he played a big part.

Don't you know that all of Rhaegar's actions can be excused by "He didn't really think such-and-such would happen?". He assumed that they would be safe and the Targs would win the war, of course, and it would be all sorted out. Just like when he went off with Lyanna....

43 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Don't you know that all of Rhaegar's actions can be excused by "He didn't really think such-and-such would happen?". He assumed that they would be safe and the Targs would win the war, of course, and it would be all sorted out. Just like when he went off with Lyanna....

Probably comes from being a gorgeous emo.

What puzzles me is that all of Westeros (except Robert) seems to feel the same way. Shouldn't House Martell be angry at Rhaegar? 

Been thinking about Fire & Blood a lot recently, that novel GRRM says he plans to write after ASOIAF is finished, a novel that will tell the history of the Targaryen dynasty. Now, we know that there is a good chance of Jon becoming King of the Seven Kingdoms, so I've been really hoping that not only will the book tell the story of previous Targaryens, but all tell the lives of Jon's descendants as well, so we can see how Westeros turns out after the novels are finished.

23 minutes ago, Joy Hill said:

What puzzles me is that all of Westeros (except Robert) seems to feel the same way. Shouldn't House Martell be angry at Rhaegar? 

They were, and probably still are. But Tywin was the one who had Elia and her children murdered and Robert was the one who pardoned it. So the Martells have better targets for their anger.

9 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

They were, and probably still are. But Tywin was the one who had Elia and her children murdered and Robert was the one who pardoned it. So the Martell's have better targets for their anger.

"Better targets for their anger" probably explains it.

33 minutes ago, Joy Hill said:

Bloodraven:

You would be surprised to know how many lords prefer their kings brave and stupid. Daemon is young and dashing, and looks good on a horse.

I think if Rhaegar were alive, House Martell would definitely have had a grudge against him. But not now, years after his death, I guess.

3 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Bloodraven:

You would be surprised to know how many lords prefer their kings brave and stupid. Daemon is young and dashing, and looks good on a horse.

I think if Rhaegar were alive, House Martell would definitely have had a grudge against him. But not now, years after his death, I guess.

Unless Elia knew about what Rhaegar was doing. I mean Lewyn Martell died right next to Rhaegar on the Ruby Ford. We know for a fact that Lewyn Martell did not set aside all of Dornishness when he was a Kingsguard so Elia and Lewyn could have been in on what was going on plus the fact that the Tower of Joy was in Dorne and therefore Doran could have been privy to whatever was happening. 

Here's a question has anyone examined everything that speaks about the Martells? 

20 minutes ago, Pain killer Jane said:

Unless Elia knew about what Rhaegar was doing. I mean Lewyn Martell died right next to Rhaegar on the Ruby Ford. We know for a fact that Lewyn Martell did not set aside all of Dornishness when he was a Kingsguard so Elia and Lewyn could have been in on what was going on plus the fact that the Tower of Joy was in Dorne and therefore Doran could have been privy to whatever was happening. 

Here's a question has anyone examined everything that speaks about the Martells? 

There is no evidence that any of the Martells, including Elia, knew about the happenings of the TOJ.

10 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Bloodraven:

You know that quote reminds me about the one Olenna gave about Renly.

As far as revenge on Rhaegar goes it hard to get revenge on a dead man. Lannisters killed Elia and her kids not Rhaegar and they are alive so...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12.8.2016 at 7:15 PM, Maelys I Blackfyre said:

Been thinking about Fire & Blood a lot recently, that novel GRRM says he plans to write after ASOIAF is finished, a novel that will tell the history of the Targaryen dynasty. Now, we know that there is a good chance of Jon becoming King of the Seven Kingdoms, so I've been really hoping that not only will the book tell the story of previous Targaryens, but all tell the lives of Jon's descendants as well, so we can see how Westeros turns out after the novels are finished.

that will be too much.

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 9:42 PM, The Wolves said:

I think Ned would have taken Jon and raised/protected him as his own without Lyanna asking him to. Jon is his family and he would have taken care of Jon without anybody asking him to cause Ned is a good men. 

Yes. The promise me had to be something different. If Lyanna had asked what he would naturally do it wouldn't have haunted him for years.

2 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Rhaegar gets too much praise within the story for doing basically nothing. All he did was look pretty and doom the realm.

Don't forget Lyanna. Her face launched a thousands death.

People are too keen over the forbidden love story of Rhaegar and Lyanna. I'm in a minority that isn't a huge fan of them mainly cause they reeks of Paris/Helen vibe and it give me flashbacks of how much of a goddamn pussy Paris is in Greek myths and the Troy film.

15 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Rhaegar gets too much praise within the story for doing basically nothing. All he did was look pretty and doom the realm.

He gave us JON FREAKIN SNOW!!! For that alone Rhaegar also Lyanna deserve praise and then some. 

Rhaegar nor Lyanna can do any wrong in my eyes. 

I kid!! 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

I wonder if Arya ever comes Queen of the North, if she gave Hotpie the Dreadfort would he rename it the Breadfort?

I don't know what was in your cup tonight, but keep it coming. :lmao:

Archived