Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

I'd like to read the chapter of the passage of the Dothraki to Westeros through the sea, if it ever happens. Can you imagine GRRM's description of 50k-60k screamers going greensick in a winter sea (we're told that winter storms are stronger than autumn's but autumn storms are more frequent)?

JonCon, where are you? I think we already reached page 20.

• 1 month later...

Cool thread why did I never read it before? 

On 1.9.2016 at 0:48 PM, Lurid Jester said:

Confession:. I don't understand where a good 75% of these theories are coming from.  

I think the biggest "Whut?" Would have to be the various theories surrounding the original Ice. As far as I can tell it's only even mentioned once, in passing, by Cat when she's thinking about the current Ice in AGoT. 

Same for me here. I believe in a few theories, but only those for which I see a lot of evidence like R+L=J and I don't understand where many other theories come from either. 

On 1.9.2016 at 2:09 PM, The Wolves said:

I'm beginning to dislike Daenerys because of her fans. And it sucks cause Dany is a Targ and I love the Targs, but her fans annoy the feck out of me and its seeping into the character which I try to never let happen. But it's happening. 

I'm a Dany fan, but I have kept myself out of discussions concerning her character, so I can't judge how other fans behave. Hate to hear that they are annoying, though. 

However, I have a similar problem with Sansa. I didn't like her  much on my first read of the series and I went into my re-read with open eyes and tried to appretiate the character, but her fans (not all of them clearly) annoy me so much that I've let it influence my opinion of the character and still dislike her. 

2 hours ago, ShimShim said:

I started reading the books after watching the show....For a long time I avoided reading the red wedding chapter, because I didn't want to feel the pain that it causes :( 

I can understand this. I watched Season 1 and then read all the books, but I spoiled the Red Wedding for me by reading Catelyn's Wiki Article. I thought was prepared and that I knew what was coming, but what a sweet summer child I was. This scene still hits me emotionally every time I read it. 

My confession: I've repeatedly read, spelled, and pronounced Dolourous Edd's last name as Toilet. This made his character even funnier and I was quite surprised when I found out that his last name isn't actually Toilet.:blush:

8 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

However, I have a similar problem with Sansa. I didn't like her  much on my first read of the series and I went into my re-read with open eyes and tried to appretiate the character, but her fans (not all of them clearly) annoy me so much that I've let it influence my opinion of the character and still dislike her. 

I really try to not let it influence how I feel about Dany cause I love her as a character. But her fans when attacking Jon annoys the ever living ish out of me. 

It's part of the reason I hope they don't end up together, well that and the fact that I  don't want Jon anywhere near that ugly chair or alive at the end. Plus they are likely related. 

39 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

I really try to not let it influence how I feel about Dany cause I love her as a character. But her fans when attacking Jon annoys the ever living ish out of me. 

It's part of the reason I hope they don't end up together, well that and the fact that I  don't want Jon anywhere near that ugly chair or alive at the end. Plus they are likely related. 

I'm acutally a Jon fan as well. My favourite characters are Jon, Arya and Dany. So I really don't understand why Dany fans attack him. Unfortunately I've seen some attacks from Jon fans against Dany as well and that also annoyed me a lot. I'm probably in the minority here, but I would be okay with them getting together, though I prefer Jon+Val.

Other confession: Before I read about R+L=J, I believed that Benjen was Jon's father, that he was allied with the Others and that we would get a Luke vs. Darth Vader moment. Some part of me still believes Benjen is allied with the Others (I don't really know why, because there's nothing that really points into that direction) and I want to see a confrontation between him and Jon. 

I saw the show before reading the series, thought the show was good (not great), then realized it's complete shit during the last season. Oh, well, I still have the books. 

Tywin is not Tyrions father, Varys knows who it is. I know it's been discussed, but I haven't seen this quote in any discussion yet. ACOK:

Tyrion sighed. "Who's the traitor today?"
The eunuch handed him a scroll. "So much villainy, it sings a sad song for our age. Did honor die with our fathers?"
"My father is not dead yet." 

Oh, really? 

32 minutes ago, SiSt said:

I saw the show before reading the series, thought the show was good (not great), then realized it's complete shit during the last season. Oh, well, I still have the books. 

Tywin is not Tyrions father, Varys knows who it is. I know it's been discussed, but I haven't seen this quote in any discussion yet. ACOK:

Oh, really? 

Tyrion knows nothing! :blink:

9 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

What if he is? And all these years of heated arguements on R+J will go up in smoke?:ph34r:

R+J? You mean Robert+Jon Arryn? Never saw this theory before :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

1 hour ago, SiSt said:

Same. Like I said, I read the books after Season 1, but I still liked the first four seasons of the show and thought it was a good show (though there were a few aspects I didn't like), realised what shit it was during season 5 and now, look at my signature.

Next confessions/ unpopular opinions:

I don't like two of the fandoms most popular characters: Tyrion and Sandor. 

I like the Areo Hotah chapters.

GRRM can take as long as he needs to for writing the last two books. I've no problems with wating another 2 years for TWOW. 

On 11/15/2016 at 9:53 AM, The Wolves said:

The opposite happened to me. I was neutral about Jon before I signed up here. When I signed up here I am shocked by the Dany hate present here. Almost every two days there will be a thread about how terrible Dany is and how she will become mad, blah blah and Jon fans are the prominent haters of her. Dany's mistakes are repeatedly pointed out and blown out of proportion while Jon's mistakes are hardly pointed out. It annoyed me so much that I became a Jon critic. And believe me there are more Jon fans here than Dany fans and there are more Jon fans attacking Dany than vice-versa. Jon at least doesn't get a hate thread for every two days like Dany used to get(while she still gets them albeit rarely). As far as I have seen there are more predominantly Dany fans who likes Jon than vice-versa and some of them are even interested in a relationship between them.  

2 hours ago, khal drogon said:

The opposite happened to me. I was neutral about Jon before I signed up here. When I signed up here I am shocked by the Dany hate present here. Almost every two days there will be a thread about how terrible Dany is and how she will become mad, blah blah and Jon fans are the prominent haters of her. Dany's mistakes are repeatedly pointed out and blown out of proportion while Jon's mistakes are hardly pointed out. It annoyed me so much that I became a Jon critic. And believe me there are more Jon fans here than Dany fans and there are more Jon fans attacking Dany than vice-versa. Jon at least doesn't get a hate thread for every two days like Dany used to get(while she still gets them albeit rarely). As far as I have seen there are more predominantly Dany fans who likes Jon than vice-versa and some of them are even interested in a relationship between them.  

I can understand that and I was equally surprised about all the Dany hate I encoutered when I joined this board. I can't understand where most of is comes from. I certainly agree that quite a large number of Jon fans who are Dany haters. I agree with the statement that there are more Dany haters than Jon haters. Furthermore, I believe that there is a large amount of Jon fans who hate Dany, but I also believe that there is a big group of Dany fans who hate Jon. However, since Jon has a bigger and probably more vocal amount of fans (many of whom hate Dany) you'll probably find more Dany hate. As someone who loves both characters I don't understand this, because I think there are actually some similarities between the characters and their arcs, but also many differences. I've  stopped visiting Dany threads a long time ago, because I've seen too much hate in there. 

I don't think the divides are too bad, on here at least. But all it takes is one or two Jon/Dany fans who can't stand Dany/Jon to cause a mudslinging match which drags in more reasonable people, who would never start it but will defend their favourite character.

I may be biased here, but I'd say Targ fans are a little more sensitive as they have all their eggs in the Dany basket.

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The same happens between Arya and Sansa fans. I had no idea there was such a divide until I joined here. 

I think that is more to do with them being the most misunderstood important characters, than any rivalry.

5 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

I don't think the divides are too bad, on here at least. But all it takes is one or two Jon/Dany fans who can't stand Dany/Jon to cause a mudslinging match which drags in more reasonable people, who would never start it but will defend their favourite character.

I may be biased here, but I'd say Targ fans are a little more sensitive as they have all their eggs in the Dany basket.

I think that is more to do with them being the most misunderstood important characters, than any rivalry.

I agree. I think they actually they are rather similar in many ways, especially after Sansa escapes KL, and the bickering isn't too bad for sisters. I was just having a similar conversation to this last night in another thread.

I feel like I'm the only one in this fandom that thinks the idea that Rhaegar courted Lyanna to get three heads is dumb. It's just not a natural human motivation. Their story being a one of love (or rather, a subversion of common romance tropes), and Jon being an oopsie-baby, is far more realistic and less convoluted.

I stil get Mors and Hother Umber mixed up. I have to pause and think, "this is the boy whore killer one" and "this is the one eyed crow eater". I really wish Mors was the whore killer. Mors rhymes with whore (kind of), that would be easier. Oh wait, is he that one? Who is outside Winterfell? Which one is castellan? Both? Neither? Ahhhh!!!

Archived